assorted king's court questions?

timonier

King’s Court Day food. Excuse me if this has been answered before, but does the King’s court serve the “ethnic cusines" and (I guess joints of lamb are ethnic too,for lunch or only at night? Also, if one eats in The King’s court at night can one forego the tux and gown on a formal night and go semi-formal or casual?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Tim-

During the day, the buffet style dining in the various King's Court venues do reflect the cuisines that are then offered in the evening. Pasta dishes, and pizza were always available at La Piazza. Stirfry's and sushi made daily appearances at Lotus. Grilled and roasted meats were featured in the Carvery (often having country-themed presentations - Germany, U.S. Great Britain). The Chef's Galley was the place to get burgers, hot dogs and a variety of make-your-own sandwiches. Most locations always had a variety of salads (with ingredients often indigenous to the cuisine, such as prosciutto at La Piazza) and dessert.

Breakfast was pretty much standardized. Be sure to visit the Chef's Galley in the morning to get made to order omelets and Belgian Waffles. Lunch in these venues was just so so. I would take little servings of many offerings and unfortunately was mostly disappointed. Buffet style dining is often difficult to execute with great results.

I believe "formal" means formal regardless of where you dine. But so many passengers took liberty with the recommendations, that I doubt you would feel out of place if you chose to dress down a bit when dining in the evening at one of the venues in Kings Court.

Is the sushi "real" sushi, or "cruise ship sushi"?

I have had what cruise ships called sushi, which was not at all what I would call sushi. I call myself a sushi-holic- though tending more to sashimi these days- The rice is just too much carbs for me.

Should I just skip this and stick with the Britannia for most meals?

Travel-to-go,

Last March we lunched at the Britannia every day and found the food and service excellent. Don't remember the sushi however, I would recommend the Golden Lion Pub. There is usually a good chance of snagging a nice window table especially if you participate in Pub Trivia which starts at 11:15 am.

The Pub service was very speedy and the typically British offerings like Fish and Chips or the Ploughman's Lunch (with lovely English Branston Pickle) were very tasty.

Cruiserking

Archived