Free at Sea Promotions with Minors - Clarification Needed

Janie001

Hello,

We are looking at booking two rooms on the Epic for our family of four. Our initial thought was a balcony and an inside as that is how we have typically traveled on previous cruises with other lines. Our children are 17 and 19.

I have since realized that I will need to book one adult and one child into each room unless they are connecting (and we are not really interested in paying the extra for two balconies). I assume that switching rooms after check in will not be an issue, however I am curious how this affects the Free at Sea promotion. If we choose the Ultimate Beverage Package for each room what would that entitle the minor in each room to (if anything at all)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hello,

We are looking at booking two rooms on the Epic for our family of four. Our initial thought was a balcony and an inside as that is how we have typically traveled on previous cruises with other lines. Our children are 17 and 19.

I have since realized that I will need to book one adult and one child into each room unless they are connecting (and we are not really interested in paying the extra for two balconies). I assume that switching rooms after check in will not be an issue, however I am curious how this affects the Free at Sea promotion. If we choose the Ultimate Beverage Package for each room what would that entitle the minor in each room to (if anything at all)?

You don't have to do that on the Epic, and with the ages of your kids. As long as they are right across from each other, it's fine. If they were 7 or 8 years old then yes, you'd have to do one adult in each cabin. I just booked a 19-year old and a 20-year old in an inside directly across from our balcony, and it was a non-issue. To answer your other question, the kids get the soda package.

Janie, for future reference on the promo's, scroll all the way to the bottom of the promo page and that is where you can find the Terms and Conditions (link) for each choice.

Not sure why they hide it way down there but that's where it is.

Cheers.

You don't have to do that on the Epic, and with the ages of your kids. As long as they are right across from each other, it's fine. If they were 7 or 8 years old then yes, you'd have to do one adult in each cabin. I just booked a 19-year old and a 20-year old in an inside directly across from our balcony, and it was a non-issue. To answer your other question, the kids get the soda package.

Interesting, I guess I will need to try and call again. I was just on the phone with them and was advised the rooms had to be touching. I was surprised because I have done across the hall before.

Hello,

This is their policy. Whether they abide by it or not is a different story.

A passenger under 18 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years or older who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 18 passenger throughout the cruise. This includes, but is not limited to, preventing the purchase or consumption of alcohol and preventing the violation of any ship rules. If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, an original, notarized parental/guardian consent letter that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to a Norwegian Cruise Line representative at the pier.

... Two people under the age of 18 may travel together in the same stateroom without someone over the age of 18 in the same stateroom, and have at least one person who is 21 years or older in the adjoining stateroom.

Thanks to all, I did call back and was able to book an inside room across the hall from us for my 17 and 19 year old without question. I was assured that this would not cause any issues down the road, but I do agree it seems to conflict with their policy. Hopefully this doesn't cause any major customer service issues down the road. Thanks for the assistance.