For you, when is a deal - a deal?

You got a great deal!

We book early and then watch the prices. Our best ever was was on a BTB and upgrading to a Jr suite on the first leg and a Grand Suite on the second for the same price we paid originally for an Balcony E1 :D The itinerary had changed because of the uprising in Egypt but we had a fantastic cruise to the reassigned ports.

We usually like to have the same cabin on BTB and not have to move but this time we weren't bothered.

Hey CC'ers, I'm sure a many of you (like me) watch fares like a hawk. Do you book when you see a good deal, and leave it? Or do you book, low and upgrade as prices come down?

My wife and I booked our anniversary cruise, for this upcoming October on the Oasis, a few months back. We booked a really good price (in my eyes) on the smallest interior room with $100 OBC, $1712/total. Once or twice a week I'll jump on a certain fish website to see how things are looking. Today, I noticed they opened up the guarantee class rooms. It cost an extra $223/total to upgrade to an Ocean View Balcony Guarantee. Now, this does figure in the extra $100 C&A loyalty discount, but in my eyes - paying the added $223 for a random balcony room was worth every penny.

So who among you would have jumped on that? Worth Losing the $100 OBC? Worth the extra elbow room? What kind of deal does it take for you to book or upgrade your reservation?

It's up to you to decide.

Thanks all! But what about you? When do you pull the trigger on booking/upgrading? ...I can't be the only crazy person that does stuff like this.

We book the very first day the cruise we want opens so we can get the cabin we want. As it has turned out, only once has the price ever gone down and only by $100 per person so I called and got the lower price. Typically, at the end, the prices are usually double what we pay on day one.

Edited by impatientlywaiting

No, you aren't the only one that watches prices. We have been watching a $1,399 JS on our upcoming Oasis cruise, but we paid a ridiculously low price on an ocean view balcony. Would cost us around $1,000 to upgrade and I am too cheap to do it.

We are planning on a more expensive anniversary cruise for our 30th in 2018 and I would be ecstatic to get a JS to Alaska for $1,399.:p

$1399 for a JS would be a great price, IMO. I'm watching Allure and Harmony for Nov 2017 for a JS and so far, I haven't quite found a price I'm willing to pay. Close, but I can hold out longer to see if the price gets lower.

We seriously considered Princess also. We have 3 couples celebrating 30 years next year and one couple celebrating 40. We decided to stay with RCI for two reasons. The first is, two of the couples are C&A members and we are sharing our balcony discounts with the other two. And, we also have Royal Caribbean Visas with lots of points on them.

I consider Princess and HAL to be very similar. We took HAL to Alaska a few years ago and now we would like to do another Alaskan cruise. This time, I prefer to book on Royal for the simple reason that there is more to do on the ships. Yes, you go to Alaska for the ports and scenery, but I also want more than just lectures on board for entertainment. My friend just booked her very first cruise on Princess to Alaska this summer and she is already concerned that she'll be bored. A friend of hers took Princess to Alaska last year and was bored to death. Obviously, everyone is different and both Princess and HAL have excellent reputations for Alaskan cruises, but if you want more to do on board a ship then Royal seems to be the one to choose.