Juneau fishing excursions - fly out or local shore?

jplee3

Hi all,

So my family and I will be cruising to Alaska in mid-July with stops in Juneau and Skagway.

I'm tentatively signed up for a local shore fishing tour around Juneau (goes for 3-4hours including a brief tour at DIPAC) with Hooked on Juneau. It looks like a fun short tour and at a reasonable price ($110 not including gratuity or $20 license cost) but in the back of my mind, I'm debating if I really should use the time and opportunity and splurge on the fly out fishing tour with Bear Creek Outfitters (it would cost nearly 4x more which I know will 'hurt' haha). At the same time, I wonder "when is the next time I'll be back in Alaska? I know I'd love to go back on a separate occasion specifically just for a fishing trip. And if I don't do the fly out this time I'd definitely want to do it next time along with 2-3 days of halibut and king salmon fishing on the boat. I just don't know if that trip will realistically happen. As far as freshwater and fly-fishing, the Bear Creek Outfitters fly out seems pretty insane.... well, any fly out with most guides would be awesome for that matter I would assume. My *main* thing is just to get a line wet, so I guess the cheaper local walking/car tour with Hooked on Juneau would be sufficient. The thought of doing the fly out is really just a guilty pleasure.

In Skagway, I might just try to find local places to fish but I know there are some local guides who know of good fishing grounds where they could drop me off and let me DIY. I'll probably do that during our dock there.

Any thoughts/ideas/advice/recommendations?

Edited by jplee3