Cabin with a teenager, please advise

Cairns01

Just booked a family vacation. There will be 4 teens (3 girls and one boy)from 2 families. We tried to figure it every which way. Suites with a boy and girl don't work because sofa bed is a double and king bed can't be divided. We looked at Mini suites and 6 ft. boy wouldn't be that comfortable on a bunk or the small sofa.

In the end we started worrying about kids in separate cabins then we found out something I didn't know. On some Princess ships(The Ruby for sure), there are adjoining cabins . These are mid ship in the 500 area.(need to find out which ones, not all).

So the kids have their own space, own bath etc and parents can watch over them better. We booked balcony cabins.

We have been cruising Princess for many years and didn't know about the adjoining cabins. They don't show up as such when you are selecting cabins. We have always booked forward or aft and never had seen interior doors so thought not on Princess.Our travel agent didn't know that either. When looking for those cabins, go on cruise ship you are interested in and look at deck plans. There is a area where you check off Adjoining cabins and they come up. this only works when you are checking out a ship, not when you are actually on a voyage and looking for a cabin choice.

Edited by san diego sue

Just booked a family vacation. There will be 4 teens (3 girls and one boy)from 2 families. We tried to figure it every which way. Suites with a boy and girl don't work because sofa bed is a double and king bed can't be divided.

Why do you think a suite's bed is not divisible?

We have been cruising Princess for many years and didn't know about the adjoining cabins. They don't show up as such when you are selecting cabins.

We were in one on the Emerald recently (never suspecting ) and found that the downside of a connecting cabin is if the adjacent people like to leave their balcony door open frequently it caused the hot air to blow under the connecting doorway. We had a hard enough time keeping our cabin cool as it was without the extra load of unwanted hot air.

There are so many great tips and responses on here, I'll let you know how we get on. I may just pop her on an inflatable, tie it to the balcony cabin railing and drag her along. Let her keep her phone for entertainment and throw her room service out of the window a couple of times a day

Edited by Cairns01

I don't know if you have considered NCL. Some of their ships have a two bedroom family suite. We booked one at the last minute last year. We ended up paying the same as our balcony and inside cabin. This suite was so nice. It had a little room for our son with his own bathroom, our own bedroom with an unbelievable bathroom, and a common living room and balcony. I am not sure I would pay full price for this, but the butler service was pretty nice. I have seen nothing like this on any other cruise line.

Edited by NCruiser2012