Oceania cruisers on the net...

Bruin Steve

Right under the word message on the upper left, you will see

View: Simple | Summary | Expanded

As: Msg List | Thread

Click on Thread, and I think the posts will appear the way you want.

Good luck!

Andee

I tired the Yahoo board too and I can't seem to get it to flow for me quite like this board, so this is where I will continue to reside for ease of use. I will howver try the link to the third board and adventure on.

Now Brian from the UK, I am not sure what you may have read that eeks you, but I think we are all sharing here and no one has gotten rambuncious on this thread I am happy to say.... Unless of course I have gotten too de-sensitized from the many years on the RCCl boards. ;)

Okay, I got the Yahoo board to list by thread (thanks, Andee), but you still have to scroll through all the mesages. The threads aren't separated under different headings as they are here. I've subscribed to that list having all the posts sent to me in digest form. I get 1 email a day and it's easy to scroll right through all the subjects, just reading the ones that may interest me. I seldom post there, though. I like the format of this board much better.

I just tried again, chrono only!!

Again, if no thread sequence, no interest......pitiful!!

Yes, Anthony it is hard to follow at Yahoo.. there is a way I am sure. i think if you go to that board and post a "question to Laura N."( who owns the yahoo " O "board) on how to do it..she will be able to help you find what you need.

I subscribe to the Yahoo site, but what is the LCT board? Would you post a site link, please:confused: ?

Http://www.****************.com

This board is wonderful.. people are really super.. the "law" of that board is No bad remarks at all.. any negativity is pulled which is great.. it is a large forum with great, wonderful, fun people......

most though are loyal Radisson cruiseline fans..

so the Oceania posts are very few, as many of them are just thinking about taking a cruise on her.. hard to give up the all inclusive for many..

wrote in part..

I don't think so...I'd imagine that all the folks cruising with Oceania were cruising with someone else before Oceania came into existence..............

Right oh! Most who post on "this" board were lovingly referred to as"Renegades"

meaning we LOVED Renaissance cruise line.. not actually the line as much as these ships ( and the "baby ships" that held 112 passengers) that was before these ..

so for most of us we have posted here for YEARS..when R was in biz they had their own message board.. when they couldn't handle it ( they got soooo big, Laura started a board ( the Yahoo board).. with that board and O's help

they threw really beautiful cocktail parties.. for each cruise.. dreinks and appies.. and every cruise had sooo many people signed up to attend.. it was an easy way to meet 50 or 60 of your newest friends on each of their cruises.. well. they cut it out in July and I see that the posting for each cruise has dropped alot there too..

There are only two ships of less than 700 pasengers which have been sailing for a short time. When compared with huge lines with lots of passengers and ships, there are less actual potential posters for this or any board.

There are only two ships of less than 700 pasengers which have been sailing for a short time. When compared with huge lines with lots of passengers and ships, there are less actual potential posters for this or any board.

Two other factors to consider: Market Penetration and Cruise Length. Celebrity (or its parent, RCI) has done a good job of promoting itself through direct mail, internet, magazine ads, and television commercials (I can't tell you how many times I've heard the "I consider this to be a temporary exile" on the TV). Oceania, on the other hand, has done little to market itself to the general public, relying instead on its network of travel agents, its website, direct mail to previous O and Ren customers, and one promotional giveaway on "Regis and Kathie Lee." I'm trying to recall seeing any Oceania ads in Conde Nast's Traveler, Travel & Leisure, Porthole, Cruise Travel, or any other mainstream travel publications but I'm drawing a blank. So based on market penetration alone, there are a lot more members familiar with Celebrity's brand name than Oceanias.

And the number of passengers per cruise also works against Oceania - Celebrity's schedules are loaded with 7-day cruises (to Bermuda, the Bahamas, and around the Caribbean), with the exception being the 10-14 day European cruises. Oceania, in contrast, begins with 10-14 day cruises, extending to 35-days. Thus, Celebrity not only has a lot more ships (with each accommodating twice as many passengers as one of Oceania's vessels), but Celebrity has nearly twice as many cruises per month on a ship-by-ship basis. These factors may help to explain the greater participation on the Celebrity Cruises board on this site more than anything else.

In fact, Oceania is more niche market oriented than the "luxury" lines, namely Silversea, Seabourn, RSSC and perhaps Crystal. Those luxury lines have both short and long cruises, from less than a week to round-the-world voyages. They try to attract any customer with the ability to pay $250 to $750 per diem (depending on geographic location of the cruise, time of year, and how well that particular voyage sells). Oceania, on the other hand, specializes on longer cruises, and those who are "short of time" and only want to "sample" need not "apply".

Probably the majority of Oceania's passengers are retired (or otherwise can arrange for long leaves), comfortable (versus being wealthy), and (often therefore) more folksy and care-free (nice to be with). You don't ever have to dress up (and therefore can travel light), and your main aim would be to see places on a floating hotel (rather than have fun on the ship itself). The cabins are standard fare (by no means lururious), but comfortable, the food is great, and the service jovial. People who feel that they belong to such a niche will love their ships (we did last year). However, they do charge more than the megaliners, and they have to be careful not to expand too quickly beyond what this segment of the market can absorb. So far, they seem to be doing well, able to substantially increase their prices while the "luxury" lines are offering more voyages with deep discounts. The question becomes what happens when customers find their prices (plus tips and drinks) have become (at least for PH minisuites) practically the same as the "luxury" lines (when these are giving deep discounts and offering even more elegant cabins, with some of them including tips and drinks)!

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is about time someone asked: How DO you sneak booze on board?:D I think the cruise ships would rather see guns! We laughed on our RCCL cruises, booze bottles all over the floor, having been confiscated from erstwhile passengers. First time we saw it, the miscreants just lost their bottles; second time, they were tagged to be returned upon departure.

Archived