Early Luggage Dropoff in Stockholm

avalen

Does anyone know how early we can drop off our luggage at the Frihamnen port in Stockholm before checking in? We will be on the Marina sailing July 23 at 5 pm. We are flying in the day before but want to maximize our time by visiting the Vasa Museum and Skansen before boarding the ship. I understand there will be disembarkation going on but is there a separate holding area for luggage coming on board? This will be my first Oceania experience and can't wait...

Why worry about it? You're flying in a day early. Leave your luggage with the concierge at your hotel, and enjoy the day in Stockholm. Collect your baggage around 3 and take a 10 minute taxi ride to the ship. ;)

From experience, in answer to your question. We disembarked around 9:15 in Stockholm. There was a large crowd of people there waiting to embark, with some showing up before 7:00 a.m. :eek: When we left the ship, one of the latter groups to disembark, the Marina was not yet allowing passengers to drop bags. All those, in line, were still holding their baggage. O did not want to start collecting, sorting, and accounting for new baggage, until everyone was fully disembarked and baggage accounted for from our cruise. So from that I'd say, don't count on it until 0930 or most probably 1000 hrs. When in doubt, read my first paragraph.

In August 2014 the berth where the Marina was docked had only a temporary check in area, under tents, and that was for the medical forms and security. The luggage was taken at the taxi drop off. If the situation is still this temporary tent setup vs. a fixed terminal, there is no room to handle luggage from both disembarkation and embarkation at the same time. The actual check in for your Oceania card/room key, etc. was in the main lounge.

As above, best to tour before coming to the Marina. You should be at the Vasa when it opens- 8:30?or 9AM at the latest. It gets really busy after 10AM in the summer.

Thank you, pinotlover and arima22. I will take your good advice, just leave my bags at the hotel and head to the ship later in the afternoon. I know it will be busy especially on a Saturday at the Vasa so I plan to be there promptly at 8:30 am. Thanks again.

Vasa is fabulous. You won't regret making it your first priority.

You may not have time for more than what you have planned, but we found a lovely museum across the street from the Vasa ... unfortunately my computer ate my diary (we were there in May '01) but if you have time it's well worth a visit. I remember handicrafts, etc., but I could be wrong about that.

From my research just now I think it's probably the Nordic Museum which is a cultural history museum. We enjoyed it very much.

Mura