Recycled Topic: What do you collect and/or save?

catmand

Hi, I started a thread on this topic about a year ago. I'm sure it's OK as there are many new members and if the "old" timers are like me they have already forgotten what they ate for lunch yesterday.

AkaWanda and I have never been collectors (with the exception of my baseball cards which I still have). We have a number of cat things because people looking to buy us a gift figure, they have cats, they will love this wire cat with a clock in it's gut.

I'm not sure why, but we saved the Princess Patters and many other mementos from the first cruise, so we put a scrapbook together. We have continued that and now have 4 nice reminders of our trips. We also have magnets and pins from the ships, port stops, and places like Butchart Gardens. Some might think it hokey but I love the reminders of the trips.

So, what do you collect and why if you have a reason?

Hi Chuck!

Yes, I KNOW you collect pins! ;) I collect refrigerator magnets from our travels. Used to collect spoons, but when I noticed I had over 10 sppon racks filled which required cleaning (most are sterling) periodically, I have since discontinued those!

I also collect Hummel figurines and unusual wine glasses! :D

Hi there Chuck. Since we sail both Celebrity and Princess we have coffee insulated mugs from both lines. DH collects pins from every ship we have been on. I collect the stamps that Princess gives to the people who have been cruising from their 2nd cruise and on up. I do have a great collection of those stamps.

Marilyn

• Every scrap of paper associated with every cruise we've taken.

• Anything in the shape or on the theme of foxes (underdog to the popular wolf). We had a dog named Foxy who, of course, looked just like a fox - and memorialized her passing with a fox figurine. In the twenty-five years since, the collection of foxy things (clocks, sheet music, bird houses, string dispensers, music boxes, etc., etc.) has become a small museum.

• Toy trains. I never grew up, and never want to...

• Art by Maxfield Parrish, an early 20th century illustrator. I salvaged my first print (Daybreak) from a trashcan, and got hooked.

chesterh

I scrapbooked my first cruise, it was in 1998 and I just finally finished it this past summer. I have all the paper scraps, tickets, menus and such from several of the next 6 cruises and I never know when I'll finish.

I have one photo album that is dedicated to formal night shots, that's easy. I try to pick up a Christmas ornament when on vacation, if I can find something that won't break on the way home and if we bother to go shopping.

My son started collecting shot glasses when he was quite young. Those take up a whole kitchen cabinet, I really need to get him some display cases. Maybe after I finish the scrapbooks.

I always purchase one small inexpensive item in each port for display on my knick knack shelf. Not the typical tacky stuff such as ashtrays, hula dancers etc.. For example, I bought a small wooden fishing boat in Ketchikan, a mini tea set in Cabo etc.

But, I just embarked on a project related to cruise memories that I'm really excited about. I ordered a 6 x 4 fit world map, will mount it on a corkboard and frame it, and then use a combination of push pins and colored string to trace all of our cruise routes. In addition, and to hang on the same or adjacent wall, I am looking for pictures of all the ships I've sailed, will frame those as well and include an incription of the ship name, dates, and who sailed with us. I actually found, on ebay, a postcard of the first ship I ever sailed, the maiden voyage of the NCL Sagafjord in 1965; the others are more recent so finding pictures will be much easier.

What do I collect? oh boy, what don't I collect.....

- Christmas ornaments, thimbles, keychains, and magnets from every place we visit.

- T-shirts and mugs from every ship we've been on,

- and Lladros!!!!

I'm backed up on my scrapbooking from the last 5 cruises we were on. One of these days.....

Anita

Rosie wrote she knows I collect pins, because she was very gracious in volunteering to be my "pin lady" while on Mercury. I just plain forgot to get one while on board, she picked open up for me and mailed it here. I had to fight to get her to take the five bucks for the damn thing and postage. I just wish Celebrity would have nicer ship pins, the ones they have are very small and in actuality are tie tac's.

Nancy, not bad, only 6 years to complete the first scrapbook, at that rate you should finish the next one in what, 2011?

travellady, your map plan sounds like it will be very nice when finished. We thought of something along those lines but got lazy.

Do most folks display their things? We have the pins in a shadow box and of course the magnets on the fridge.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I pick up the ship postcard for every ship we have sailed. I then mark the date and info concerning cabin, highlights, people we have met.

I also keep the keys to remind me of the date sailed.

I collect Trivia prizes (if we win) and all other sorts of cruising stuff. But what I like the best are the ship models. By the way, I was just on Horizon last month and they were sold out of them. Does anyone out there have one they would part with (for a fee)? Contact me at minne1957 at yahoo dot com.

Rosie wrote she knows I collect pins, because she was very gracious in volunteering to be my "pin lady" while on Mercury. I just plain forgot to get one while on board, she picked open up for me and mailed it here. I had to fight to get her to take the five bucks for the damn thing and postage. I just wish Celebrity would have nicer ship pins, the ones they have are very small and in actuality are tie tac's.

Nancy, not bad, only 6 years to complete the first scrapbook, at that rate you should finish the next one in what, 2011?

travellady, your map plan sounds like it will be very nice when finished. We thought of something along those lines but got lazy.

Do most folks display their things? We have the pins in a shadow box and of course the magnets on the fridge.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Chuck, I didn't know you collected pins...I'll be on the lookout for pins for you, and I'll even deliver it to your home, or we could just meet for coffee at Starbucks in Clayton...

Karyn

Archived