Taxi to Arizona Memorial

cecparkinson

Would anybody know estimated taxi fares from the Cruise Line berth to the Arizona Memorial. We would also like to go to the Punch Bowl Cemetary would it be best to go back to town or go straight from the Arizona to Punch Bowl, then back to Town. This is our first visit to the Island's and looking forward to it immensely, many thanks Cec Parkinson

:)

We've been to HAwaii several times - we spent two weeks on Oahu last summer while DH attended a conference at the University....it's not a bad or expensive ride from the ship to PH. (sorry - I don't remember the exact cost) You won't have any trouble picking up a taxi off the docK or at PH - and you may find others to share the ride to split the cost......or a van taxi for a flat fee. If you are in port on a weekend or Wednesday - stop by the stadium - right across from PH - and visit the flea market - best and cheapest place for souvenirs in the island.....and always a must stop for our crowd.

This is by no means a recommendation but came across this site. http://www.charleystaxi.com/services.html

His price of $27 is probably pretty close to what it would cost from the pier. The fees are based from a Waikiki Hotel and the Pier is about 4 miles closer to Pearl. Most of the responders on this board would probably recommend renting a car. You can usually get one for around $30 and while driving in Honolulu can be intimidating, it really isn't that bad. Going from Pearl Harbor to Punch Bowl might add a bit to the trip. I see Charley also offers Limo rentals which might be an option. Pearl Harbor can easily take 2-3 hours or longer. Get there as early as you can, about 7-7:30 am

The other option would be theBus, fare is only $2 and you can get the bus near Aloha Tower where the ship docks for Pearl Harbor. http://www.thebus.org Thebus also goes to Punch Bowl but there may be a bit of a walk with that. I don't think the bus actually goes into the cemetary, but leaves you out at Awaiolimu St and Puowaina Drive. You would then have a long uphill walk to the Cemetary.

The other option would be theBus, fare is only $2 and you can get the bus near Aloha Tower where the ship docks for Pearl Harbor. www.thebus.org Thebus also goes to Punch Bowl but there may be a bit of a walk with that. I don't think the bus actually goes into the cemetary, but leaves you out at Awaiolimu St and Puowaina Drive. You would then have a long uphill walk to the Cemetary.

Thanks everyone for your tips, thats what I love about CC ask a question and it is answered. We did look at getting the bus but because we need to be at PH early thought it might take too long. What is the distance from the pier? Also we are there on the 27th of December wonder if it will be busy being 2 days after christmas it is also on a Tuesday any thoughts. many thanks Cec and Kim

As time is a concern for you, I cannot recommend The Bus. (Don't get me wrong; we love The Bus.) If you are not on an express, it can take (and has taken us) well over an hour to get from Pearl Harbor to Ala Moana and Waikiki Beach. There must have been 30 stops along the way. So, if you do take it make sure that you get on an express, not a local. Personally, we would not take The Bus to Pearl Harbor from the pier, but others have done it I'm sure. And you should consider the health and stamina of your travelling party. For example, the stop for Pearl Harbor is at the street. It's still quite a hike down to the facilities and exhibits. In the heat, this can be an issue.

Also, when you say "back to town" you are referring to the pier not the Waikiki Beach area, correct? Waikiki Beach is a few miles beyond the pier (when coming from Pearl).

Enjoy Hawaii and have a wonderful cruise.

beachchick

Sounds like a good plan. That's kind of what we did last time. We had flown in for the day and took a taxi from the airport to Pearl, but took the bus the rest of the day until it was time to taxi back to the airport from Waikiki Beach. But again, do try to get an express bus--I felt like we were NEVER going to get to Waikiki Beach last time we took the local. (No offense meant to the local folks--it was the schedule that was annoying, not the people.)

beachchick

While I certainly advocate visiting Punch Bowl, JMO, but it would seem to me to take a lot of time to do it by bus. Not only do you have the buses and at least one transfer to contend with, you then have a lot of walking to do once you get to the cemetery. By car I'd recommend it in a heartbeat, but by bus I'd have a lot of reservations.

http://www.thebus.org/Pop/memorial.asp

bug dan: Mahalo for that additional info. We had not taken the bus to Punch Bowl, so I didn't realize it would take so much time/effort. Sounds like a taxi would be better. Better still, IMO and as you recommend, is renting a car for the day. So much more flexibility.

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...

Checked Charleys mentioned above and the price from Waikiki is about $10, probably about $5 more from Aloha Tower. I would imagine it might be pretty difficult to get a cab at the crater, although with a cell phone you could certainly call for one..TheBus is only $2 and runs pretty frequently. It would take you almost to the crater and then a short walk. But even for a day, I'd recommend renting a car. Shuttles for rental cars run frequently from Aloha Tower to the Ala Moana offices.

http://www.thebus.org for information.

Archived