Advice, please

PaulaS8071

Hi,

We are a family of 4; veteran (20+) cruises. We have been cruising since our boys were 2 and 4 yrs. old, they are now 13 & 15. We have done the Caribbean, Panama Canal, Mexican Riviera, and the Med. Frankly, we are getting bored with doing these same itineraries, but we love cruising and don't want to give it up. We are considering doing a transatlantic, so naturally the QM2 comes to mind. Could those of you that have done this cruise comment on whether you think it is suitable for a family? Holland America is our favorite line so far, so we are not Carnival party animals looking for hairy leg contests. We enjoy dressing up for dinner, as do our boys. I guess my main concern is whether there are enough activities suitable for all of our age groups to keep us from getting bored? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Paula

Have you thought of flying both ways between here and Europe and taking one or some of the many "AROUND EUROPE" cruises that there are?.

For example:

NORWEGIAN FJORDS-MIDNIGHT SUN,

BALTIC CAPITALS

IBERIAN DELIGHTS / CANARIE ISLANDS.

MEDITERRANEAN (many).

These are just a few.

QE-2 does many of these and on that ship at least, you are assured of English speaking demographics.

That being said, i certainly would not rule out TRANSATLNATIC either, or better still, a combination of Both.

Actually, I understand many British passengers do just that: TransatlanticWB/ American cruise / Transatlantic EB back home.

We have done the Mediterranean cruise-never the Baltic-my parents did and they encountered really terrible seas. I would love to do the Med at least one more time, especially back to Istanbul, but I don't feel the political climate is right just now. My boys have never been to England, so we would stay at least a week exploring London and the countryside. Guess we could just do a land-based vacation, but as I said, I really am longing for a cruise. It has been a year since our last one, and I am really ready to book one. The idea of a trans-atlantic sounds so relaxing to me compared to the hectic pace of the lives we all lead these days. Just that I am having a kind of tough sell to the other 3 family members-guess I am looking for ammunition! :-)

Paula

Paula,

My wife, two boys, and I went on a Transatlantic in June of this year. The boys were 11 and 13. We all enjoyed the crossing very much.

The boys spent about a third to half their waking time at the Zone and made some friends there. Beyond that, they passed the time around the ship, sometimes on their own, sometimes with us. We are seriously considering doing a crossing again during Spring break, this coming April, and may even do a back-to-back. They will by 12 and 14 by then, and as of now, they are both very excited about going back on the QM2.

I think kids and adults are the same in one sense. Some people are easily amused, and can entertain themselves in almost any environment. Others need to be entertained, and quickly become bored if left to their own devices.

The four of us were impressed just by the mere fact that we were on this enormous ocean liner plowing through the Atlantic Ocean with 2,500 other passengers. Just being able to walk around the ship while she was at sea, and to be served meals every several hours, was plenty for us. We found the time for only one planetarium show and did not even find the time to see a single movie or to see any shows after the first night's Welcome Show. Our time seemed to be spent talking within our own family or with other passengers over drinks, or tea, or leisurely meals, and walking the decks.

It seems from reading some of the reviews that people who have a higher need to be formally entertained seem to increase their chances of being disappointed when at sea for 6 days (or longer). Managing expectations to reality seems to make a huge difference as well. You probably have a good feel on how your family would do in these areas. Decide accordingly.

I think a transatlantic experience would be great for your family. Others may warn you off. If you go, I recommend an outside cabin. They are configured to sleep a family of four, and the configuration and size of the cabin meets the task.

As you know from your prior cruising, there are plenty of nits that occur on a vacation, but hey, isn't that life?

Good luck in your decision.

Paul

Archived