Walking to El Morro

bmumper

I was just in OSJ and we walked all over the area. Made it up to El Morro probably 5 times in one day from right about where the cruise terminal is. Ended up walking back around Midnight and it felt very safe. If it's very late in the evening I might walk on the streets vs walking along Paseo De La Princesa.

Question for Trekrider:

I see you mentioned you live in San Juan. We are there for 5 plus days and then on a cruise so have lots of time. Rented a van since we are 6 people.

My question is can we do more than 1 fortress on one day and how long does it normally take. Our points of interest to see are:

1. OSJ

2. San Felipe del Morro Fortress

3. San Cristobal Fortress

4. Landmark Monuments

5. Santa Catalina Governors Mansion

6. La Fortaleza Palacio

7. Churches

Any other nice places around the area or even if it is easy to drive too.

For beaches are Escambron and Isla Verde the best of SJ?

Thanks.

You can certainly do both forts in one day. If a member in your group is really into history, it will take a bit longer, but figure 1-1.5 hours for each fort if you're not doing any of the ranger-led tours.

Since you have a vehicle, consider a visit to El Yunque - by far my favorite spot on the island. It's a straightforward drive from the SJ Metro area.

For beaches, Isla Verde and Escambron are the top two. I prefer Escambron - I'll ride my bike over there, string up my hammock and relax and read a book. There's a half-decent snorkeling pool over by the Scuba Dogs shack - I've seen sea turtles there several times.

Hope this helps!

Edited by trekrider520

Thanks for the quick reply. We leave in a couple of days so just trying to get things in order. Yes, we are doing the rainforest and driving there. We rented a condo in Calle area closer to Isla Verde beach. Anything else you would suggest. We love to see churches as well and have highlighted these below

http://sanjuanpuertorico.com/attractions-religious-cathedrals/#16/18.4662/-66.1180

Are the places that I listed around the same geographic area. Just wanted an idea of how to see these and try to do things that are closer on same days.

Thanks again.

Yep - those churches are quite close to one another - walking distance. I think they're still working on Iglesia de San Jose, so not sure how much you'll be able to see.

Parking can be an issue in OSJ - it's usually easier to park in a garage than to deal with on-street parking, especially if you have a big vehicle.

If you like coffee, PR coffee is one of the best (my opinion). Check out some of the local cafes in OSJ - you can't go wrong.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Trek...can you give an address for one of the best coffee shops? Arriving by ship in June. My friend told me she had the best coffe she's ever had in OSJ, but diesn't remember exactly where. I really love a good iced coffee.

You can certainly do both forts in one day. If a member in your group is really into history, it will take a bit longer, but figure 1-1.5 hours for each fort if you're not doing any of the ranger-led tours.

Since you have a vehicle, consider a visit to El Yunque - by far my favorite spot on the island. It's a straightforward drive from the SJ Metro area.

For beaches, Isla Verde and Escambron are the top two. I prefer Escambron - I'll ride my bike over there, string up my hammock and relax and read a book. There's a half-decent snorkeling pool over by the Scuba Dogs shack - I've seen sea turtles there several times.

Hope this helps!

HI we are there nxt friday the 15th. How do we get to Escambron? Is it far from where the cruise ships dock. thanks

Your best bet is a cab. You can use Google Maps to get an idea of where it is in relation to the cruise ship piers. You may have to coordinate a ride back - I'm not sure if cabs stay in the area.

If you decide to walk (about 2 miles from the piers), I'd advise taking the northern-most route. Head to the Capitol, walk in front of it, and take that road. The roads to the south are off the main tourist path.

Hope this helps!

Your best bet is a cab. You can use Google Maps to get an idea of where it is in relation to the cruise ship piers. You may have to coordinate a ride back - I'm not sure if cabs stay in the area.

If you decide to walk (about 2 miles from the piers), I'd advise taking the northern-most route. Head to the Capitol, walk in front of it, and take that road. The roads to the south are off the main tourist path.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info , I will google a map of the area..