Wifi or cell service?

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are going on a 3-night cruise next weekend, and it'll be our first time away from our 1.5 year old son. He will be staying with Grandma and Grandpa and having a great time I'm sure :) but I want to be able to check in once a day at least to make sure everything is going okay. I'm torn what to do and wanted to get thoughts/suggestions here!

I was leaning towards the wifi plan and then using web based apps to video chat, but then I realized that you apparently can only buy the wifi plan for every single day of the cruise, without the option to do certain days? I was hoping to just do Saturday and Sunday for $40, since Friday we wont be leaving the port until later anyway, so I would be fine not checking in after that point. Also I really want to "disconnect" so it seems kind of silly to pay for wifi to only use it for a 5-10 minute video chat twice during the duration of the cruise. The cost though for per minute calling or texts through AT&T seems like it would add up pretty quick though.

Any thoughts/tips from people who have done this before?

Also, lets say something happened and my parents needed to reach us immediately for an emergency situation- is there any way for them to call someone to get a message to us on the ship? Obviously that would be absolute worst case scenario and not what I'm planning for- I plan to be reachable through wifi or text but I'm just wondering.

Thanks in advance!! :)

What phone service do you have? I have AT&T and they have a cruise ship talk only plan for $30 for 50 minutes and $1/minute overage. You have to pay for the whole month but might be good for your peace of mind.

A couple of thoughts:

I'm not sure how well video chat would work out for you on the ship, especially at peak times. I've heard that the newer service on some RCI ships (assuming you're cruising on Royal, since you asked in the RCI section) is quite a bit faster than the old average. But just a caution: I'd say it depends on the ship as to whether web-based video will give you good performance at the times when you need it.

Yes, cellular costs can add up very quickly. But echoing mmgilb200's comment, Verizon (my carrier) also offers travel packages that are reasonable and predictable, for just talk and texting or also including data if you want that convenience on your cell.

Edited by Moonarino

My husband and I are going on a 3-night cruise next weekend, and it'll be our first time away from our 1.5 year old son. He will be staying with Grandma and Grandpa and having a great time I'm sure :) but I want to be able to check in once a day at least to make sure everything is going okay. I'm torn what to do and wanted to get thoughts/suggestions here!
Where are you cruising? For trips near land.... I use my cellular. I use the ship wifi when there is no cell coverage.

Email is the most efficient way to stay in touch. Small attached pictures of loved ones always helps.

Thanks everyone!

I have AT&T. I saw a $30 package I think? The $30 would be cheaper than wifi for sure, but I was also hoping to be able to see our little guy lol. But it sounds like video chat might not really work out well anyway?? So now I'm leaning towards this option...

We are cruising the 3night Royal Caribbean cruise on Enchantment- so it's Nassau the first full day (but we didn't want to get off the ship- we've been there before and want to just enjoy a pool side day), and Cococay the second day.

Just found this on the AT&T website... so it looks like their current travel plans include unlimited texting/picture messages (not what I found last time I looked) so I think this should work! Thanks for letting me talk this out with y'all. ;)

Package Passport

Charge

(One-time for 30 days or monthly recurring) $30 $60 $120

Unlimited Texting

(Text, picture & video)

Talk

(Per minute*) $1.00

Cellular data

(Includes email, Web browsing, social media posts, etc.) 120MB

Overage:

$0.25/MB 300M

Wi-Fi access at participating hotspots

Not included

Although this looks different actually now that I'm looking on Royal's website? Guess I'll call AT&T to confirm.

Edited by zetalove08

Thanks everyone!

I have AT&T. I saw a $30 package I think? The $30 would be cheaper than wifi for sure, but I was also hoping to be able to see our little guy lol. But it sounds like video chat might not really work out well anyway?? So now I'm leaning towards this option...

We are cruising the 3night Royal Caribbean cruise on Enchantment- so it's Nassau the first full day (but we didn't want to get off the ship- we've been there before and want to just enjoy a pool side day), and Cococay the second day.

You can probably find some WiFi in Nassau that's fast enough for video chat. We've done Facetime at McDonalds before.

Never mind... caught the fine print where it says that package is not available on cruise ships... Boo:(

That package does not work while at sea and on Royal's "cellular at sea" but it will work when in port whether you get off the ship or stay on board. If you only plan to checkin at times you are in port, that plan will work fine for you. If you need to checkin while at sea, then consider the cruise ship packages.

Very dissatisfied with AT&T cellular at sea...purchased package for my just completed Brilliance of the Seas 4 day to Cozumel. Dad had just past and I wanted to keep in touch with mom. NEVER able to connect...RC was wonderful they handed the phone to me at the desk..."the call to AT&T is on us " ONE HOUR later on the phone NOTHING

just be sure you have trialed and practice on how to connect while you're still docked !!

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=1

You have to click on the cruises tab to see the packages.

Here is the link to ATT cruise packages. I'm debating paying to have texting available on our cruise in a couple weeks.

Edited by Anniversarygirl25

Very dissatisfied with AT&T cellular at sea...purchased package for my just completed Brilliance of the Seas 4 day to Cozumel. Dad had just past and I wanted to keep in touch with mom. NEVER able to connect...RC was wonderful they handed the phone to me at the desk..."the call to AT&T is on us " ONE HOUR later on the phone NOTHING

just be sure you have trialed and practice on how to connect while you're still docked !!

I hope you realize the package has nothing to do with whether you get service or not. The package only dictates how much you pay for calls, texts and data. The cellular service is provided by Royal (actually a company called Wireless Maritime Services), not ATT.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=1

You have to click on the cruises tab to see the packages.

Here is the link to ATT cruise packages. I'm debating paying to have texting available on our cruise in a couple weeks.

Without the package, each sent text costs $0.50, received texts are free. If you don't think you will send more than 60 texts, it may be cheaper just to pay per text.

Without the package, each sent text costs $0.50, received texts are free. If you don't think you will send more than 60 texts, it may be cheaper just to pay per text.

Good point. We don't buy any special packages and never have more than $10-$20 extra on our cell bills afterwards. That always includes 2 or 3 voice calls as well as texts.

Edited by Moonarino

That's weird, did you have a signal? You phone should show you on the ship's cellular, it's called cellular at sea. did you have any bars? Was your cell service on?

As has been stated, AT&T has nothing to do with your phone not connecting to the ship's cell tower. It doesn't get to their network until it reaches land.

I did att Cruise ship package talk and text and had very good luck with it on NOS last month. I did notice that the coverage worked much better on the balcony and on the upper decks and not very well from seven and below. I chose the $60 package and thought that it was a very good value. Pictures were very slow and hard to send, so we primarily used the talking and some texting.