Cardiac event monitor transmittal from ship?

justlovlie

First I assume she checked with her doc.

The question was about transmitting. An "event" is not stressful. If she is like me, I am 44 and otherwise healthy, events happened all the time in bunches. For me it was dehydration mostly...there is no pain just mild annoying fluttering feeling.

She has options. Personally I would just take a break from the test for the week and pick it back up when I got back. If there are no other symptoms it shouldn't keep her from the trip, as long as her doc clears her.

Just mailed back a Halter monitor and it came with a blackberry phone.

Yup device worn on lanyard with four leads and carried a blackberry cell phone with big sticker that it couldn't make calls.

Phone rang if a lead fell off or it or the monitor batteries were low. Had a button to press during an "event" then presented a survey to fill out.

I know it was live monitoring as doctor called the day after an event saying she saw it when she was checking up.

So I think devices have come a long way from needing POT line (Plain Old Telephone) but personally I wouldn't travel if I was wearing one but that is for you and your health care provider to decide.

If you need POTs line, you should find out how long the device can go before any data loss if you miss a day connecting.

FWIW

Wow, I really didn't expect to see so many replies when I logged back in! I appreciate your concern; thank you.

So, no, I don't anticipate dropping dead on the trip, nor would I take the trip if I thought I was in danger. I'm 99% sure of the cause of my little episodes and 99% sure that a nice vacation will be 99% of the remedy. ;) My doc suggested postponing the monitor until after the trip, but I hadn't yet heard back from him when I asked the question yesterday. I thought if I could still do it on board, then why not? But with any luck a week with no kids or distractions will have me coming home to say I no longer need it. Ha!

Are you serious?

We were promised on shore assistance with communication, accommodations for my husband, transportation, etc. I've read glowing accounts of passengers being assisted after an emergency disembarkation, but on other cruise lines. We never even received a phone call, and we were told, "You will receive a call later today."

And mine wasn't a pre-existing condition.

Yes, I'm serious. I'm not saying they should be rude, just that they are a tourism company and even with a doctor on board they aren't a medical facility. If you have a medical issue they should get you off board where it can be addressed by NOT NCL, what is controversial about that?

Ok so I had an episode (panic attack) that landed me in er and consequently holter monitor for 24 hours and then eventually the 30 day one. But rest assured I had every cardiac test under the sun before I was given the 30 day one. No one was dropping dead! Turned out to be a panic attack! And yes a vacation would've done me good at that point. Also nothing a little Xanax couldn't help! :) definitely get Drs advice but I don't think you'd need to wear it during vacation. I developed a reaction to the leads and ended up cutting the monitoring short. Same results!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, I'm serious. I'm not saying they should be rude, just that they are a tourism company and even with a doctor on board they aren't a medical facility. If you have a medical issue they should get you off board where it can be addressed by NOT NCL, what is controversial about that?

I'm not talking about staying on the ship with a medical condition.

I'm talking about the nice man assuring my husband and me that someone would be in touch. I'm talking about making promises, also in writing, that are not kept.

Hope you don't have to be admitted to a hospital like mine. Livorno is not a tourist destination like Rome or Barcelona. If not for the insurance company concierge, we would have been absolutely lost.

The doctor and her nurse on the Epic were super, by the way.

OP, enjoy your cruise. The sea is a great healer!