Credit cards-couples need two?

cwestbrook

That's strange - I do it all the time for DW and I - just one card - there is a blank that asks who is the cardholder - this should be your name on one and spouse on his. There is a checkoff box that asks are you the card owner - only one of you can check yes.

Hope I didn't confuse you more.

Ron

Using/having just one is fine for the ship; however, do bring a 2nd one with you for that "just in case" situation. We always travel with both a visa & a mastercard -- several years ago in Paris, my suitcase was stolen from the locked hotel room (yeah, management called it "a mysterie"). Anyway, in the suitcase besides my dress outfit for a church concert & AmEx just-in-case traveler checks, were photocopies of our passports, and both sides of the credit cards. While that info wouldn't cause any problems in a store situation, we were concerned that the cards could be used for mail/internet orders & contacted both cards via their foreign 1-800 #. Mastercard said "no problem, we've blocked mail & internet purchases for you -- enjoy the rest of your trip". Visa said "we must tag card as stolen, don't use". AmEx office offered us either replacement checks or French francs at the best exchange rate of the trip.

Since that cash plus what we had in our pockets wouldn't have lasted us through the trip, if we had brought only the 1 Visa card we could have been hungry in Paris -- what an awful thought!!

One thing on the Cruise Personalizer, I think it wants a credit card that isn't going to expire before the cruise. Something to consider. ;) Otherwise we have never had a problem putting in one card number for both of us, with DH as the owner and me an authorized user! :eek: You can always change cards at embarkation also.

Using/having just one is fine for the ship; however, do bring a 2nd one with you for that "just in case" situation. We always travel with both a visa & a mastercard --
It also doesn't take a robbery to cause a problem. On one cruise our bank, a major West Coast bank, flagged our card for "suspicious activity" for purchases occurring out of country, and suspended authorizing new purchases. When we bought some expensive art on board ship the Purser made their nightly check and found our card denied for purchases. Only the fact that my wife had a different account credit card allowed us to pay our shipboard account without further hassle.

Now, Princess would have allowed us to sign a promissory note to cover the account (this happened on another cruise - that's a different story:rolleyes: ), but only the fact that we had two separate cards allowed us to continue our onshore purchases without problem.

Somewhat irate, I called the bank after returning home and their fraud department told me that they will suspend cards for suspicious activity that is suddenly away from home. All it takes is a call to the company before your cruise to tell them you will be on vacation and where in order to prevent this problem. Use the number on the back of the card.

Even then we still take two cards from different accounts in case one "disappears".

All it takes is a call to the company before your cruise to tell them you will be on vacation and where in order to prevent this problem

I did call my credit card company and told them I would be out of the country cruising. When I made a purchase in Mexico, it was declined. I called them from there to reiterate that I was out of the country. The purchase was approved. The next day I received a note from the pursur telling me the card had been declined. Fortunately I had another card with me and was able to use it without any problem.

When I returned home I called the credit card company and told them how I felt about their "security" and "suspicous activity" alerts on my account, especially since I had informed them twice. I didn't want big brother watching over my shoulder anymore and cut the card up and sent it back to them.

It makes good sense to carry more than one card and I'm glad I did.

Archived