First time cruisers help please

aamiza

We are due to go on sunshine cruise in February 2017 combining it with a week at Disney. Of are doing the 8 night eastern Caribbean cruise.

We have visited the Caribbean lots and visited many islands so thought we would try something different.

Although the Caribbean is hot is it still hot on board or do you get a cool breeze from the sea? Would we need warmer clothes for the evening? Also we as a family like to get dressed for dinner but how dressy is it and do mean have to wear tie and jacket. Sorry if there are boring questions but we are new to all this and I always over pack and get charged extra for my luggage! Any advice would be good or where to go on this page we have booked a balcony room is there anywhere where it's best to be on the ship as my travel agent wants to know which room to go and book we are a family 2 adults 9 and 13 year old?

Thanks appreciate any help advice at all

I'm not sure about the heat, we haven't been to the Caribbean in the summer months, but as for the dress code in the dining room:

(from Carnival)

Cruise Casual Dress Code:

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings

The length of the cruise determines the number of 'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening prior to the end of the cruise, schedules permitting.

2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening

6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

On regular 'casual dinners' you will basically see what you would in a '99 or Applebees. On cruise elegant evenings you will see anything from khaki's and a polo to men wearing tuxedo and woman wearing gowns.

Welcome!

I can't answer your questions about the ship, as I won't be on her until next June, but I can advise that warm clothes, layers are good, would definitely be needed. You may very well need them at Disney too in February.

Formal dress on many cruise lines, including Carnival, has gone by the wayside. Some people will have jackets and ties, but I believe the majority would not. The only exception may be if you went to the Steakhouse.

Have fun planning, it's almost as fun add the trip itself!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I tend to travel Jan and Feb to the Caribbean and find I usually am in the light capri's, shorts and swimsuits/cover ups, but I always take a light jacket because of the air conditioning inside, the breeze outside is usually perfect temperature for me even in the evenings. I haven't ever needed warmer clothes outside in the Caribbean.

As for suite and tie of course you can do that if it is a preference but other than shorts and T shirts it is unlikely you would be turned away from dining room and possibly not even then. You will see a wide range of styles of dress on Carnival but it tends more to casual except on formal night and even then suite and tie not required. I tend to cruise casual, nicer slacks and dressy shirt or nice sundress for dining.

Have a great cruise, hope you enjoy the Sunshine as much as I did. She is a lovely ship (IMHO). I know you will hear otherwise alot but I really like her and am travelling on her again next year.

Edited by dolfndreams

We are due to go on sunshine cruise in February 2017 combining it with a week at Disney. Of are doing the 8 night eastern Caribbean cruise.

We have visited the Caribbean lots and visited many islands so thought we would try something different.

Although the Caribbean is hot is it still hot on board or do you get a cool breeze from the sea? Would we need warmer clothes for the evening? Also we as a family like to get dressed for dinner but how dressy is it and do mean have to wear tie and jacket. Sorry if there are boring questions but we are new to all this and I always over pack and get charged extra for my luggage! Any advice would be good or where to go on this page we have booked a balcony room is there anywhere where it's best to be on the ship as my travel agent wants to know which room to go and book we are a family 2 adults 9 and 13 year old?

My experience in February is that it is still very warm, but a light jacket or sweater may be needed in the evening. I would suggest having a sweater for the dining room and lounges in case you get chilly in there. On elegant night most men wear a suit and tie (but it is not required). On other nights in the dining room a pair of dress pants and a polo shirt are appropriate (but again, not required). This is from Carnival's site: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093

Can't give you advice on what room to select, but I'm sure that others that have been on that ship with a family will help there. If you read through these boards you will find a wealth of information. Enjoy your vacation and enjoy your planning!!

Yes you will have a breeze on the ship while underway. In some areas of the ship, depending on the wind velocity and direction it is almost uncomfortable. I always take a light jacket or pullover and one pair of pants, just in case. We have encountered some cooler evenings on the ship. I would suggest a cabin in the middle of the ship and choose a deck with cabins above and below you. I do dress for dinner on formal nights. I take a suit, but even a sport jacket will work. Some folks do dress formal, with a Tux and evening gowns. Have a great time and remember you are on vacation. Don't let the small stuff get to you. :)

We usually go to Caribbean in March and it's usually very warm during day with a warm breeze and cooler at night so light coverup needed on deck (and sometimes inside due to AC). But it's all relative, we live in Maine so my family is in the pool at 8 AM and other cruisers think the water is too cold.

Also remember there are washers and dryers on board and you will have some sea days to do a load.

I'd pick mid ship balcony with cabins above and below for first cruise. But I've never been on sunshine so can't be more specific.

Take some magnetic hooks, whole cabin is magnetic and will help to hang up wet suits, sweaty shirts and ball caps (you said sons right)

We like to dress up in sundresses every night and cocktail dress on formal but you can do whatever suits your family. My dad wears a tux and my husband wears slacks and collared shirt without a tie on formal night.

Most importantly enjoy the sun and relax and have fun!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Cruising !!

We did the Western Caribbean in January and pretty much wore what might be considered "spring weight" clothes with shorts in the daytime although there were many days that folks happily wore their swimsuits at the pool. (the wind is blocked for the most part on the pool deck on the Sunshine.

For dressing up for dinner I bring a black skirt and a pair of black slacks (thus only requiring 1 pair of black dressy sandals) then add different tops - sparkly ones for the 2 cruise elegant nights. Often I'll wear a top I wore for dinner again during the day to cut down on the amount of "stuff" I have to bring.

Husband wears kakis or gray slacks and a collared sports shirt with dress loafers for the 2 cruise elegant nights and the slacks with a polo shirt the other nights .

We always book a balcony and try for a cabin that has cabins below and above it to cut down on noise.

Although the Caribbean is hot is it still hot on board or do you get a cool breeze from the sea? I always find the inside of the ship much cooler than outside on deck, even at night while the ship is sailing. Breezy, yes. Cool, no. This is subjective, of course.

Would we need warmer clothes for the evening? I bring a couple of light sweaters. I don't pack any jeans or warmer clothing.

Also we as a family like to get dressed for dinner but how dressy is it and do mean have to wear tie and jacket. No, men do not have to wear tie and jacket to dinner. We wear shorts and polo (husband) and cotton top (me) on casual nights. My husband wears khakis and a button down shirt and tie and I wear a sundress on Elegant Nights.

Sorry if there are boring questions but we are new to all this and I always over pack and get charged extra for my luggage! I totally get that. We had five pieces of luggage for the two of us for our first cruise. :eek: Most of our clothes came home unworn.

Any advice would be good Here's my advice on clothing-lay out everything you plan to pack. Put half of it back. We learned that we spend most of our days in bathing suits so we don't need seven outfits for a seven day cruise. We take enough clothes for four days and re-wear some of them. For instance, when we shower and dress late in the afternoon, those clothes we'll wear again in the morning for breakfast. There are washers and dryers on board so laundry can be washed if necessary.

or where to go on this page we have booked a balcony room is there anywhere where it's best to be on the ship as my travel agent wants to know which room to go and book we are a family 2 adults 9 and 13 year old? We love having a balcony cabin on Lido Deck. We're close to the pools and the buffet. We can quickly go back to our cabin for forgotten items or to use our own bathroom. It's easy to grab something from buffet to enjoy on our balcony. Tell your travel agent to make sure there is a cabin above and below your cabin. The last thing you want is to be under the weight room or over the nightclub.

Have a great first cruise!