When is the QE2 expected to run out of service?

cruisetheoceanblue

Hello there. I've been wanting to sail on the QE2 for years and I would like to know how much time I have left. Could someone tell me when the QE2 is expected to cease service-a sad thought. Like most of you have already, I would love to experience what it is like to sail on the last of the great transatlantic liners. I MUST know how it feels to stand on one of the decks and gaze at the ocean and embrace the moment as it is quite scarce. Being a survivor of a bygone era, the QE2 transports its guests back in time and I want to know how that journey feels. So for all people who have sailed aboard the QE2, how was the overall experience? If you have recently cruised aboard, how is the condition? Some parts of the ship, like the theatre and the stairwell look a bit dated.

(Do a search on this board to get more details on these questions, these things that have been discussed before).

Cunard has not given any clue on their intentions on this. Many people beleive that she is unlikely to be in service after 2010, although the marketing department of Cunard say it will be later.

As for her condition, she does show her age in places, there is no avoiding this. Over the years the interiors and uses of rooms have been changed numerous times so there is some inconsistancies in decoration and the like.

QE2 is at her best on transatlantic crossings: these are ones on January06 and January07. There are number of good deals going on he Jan06 one, worth having a look if you can do it.

I suspect the honest answer is nobody knows. As long as she continues to make money AND not need serious amounts of money spent to keep her going, then she will continue sailing.

But lets not forget that she is VERY old by express liner standards - most don't make it past their mid-20s - the QE2 is now 36 - thats longer than ANY Cunard liner ever. The closest express liner was the AQUITANIA who only lasted as long as she did because of WWII.

I don't think Cunardival are actively planning to retire her when QUEEN VICTORIA arrives - tho I strongly suspect the 'late 2007' date on that has slipped as they priorize Carnival tonnage for construction. However, once QUEEN VICTORIA arrives they will have much more flexibility.

Once the decision to retire her is taken, expect a series of 'positively final' cruises/crossings, with fares to match.

If you are interested in the sorts of things that need checking - see here:

http://www.cdlive.lr.org/vesselstatus.asp?LRNO=6725418

Peter

Guernseyguy is so write. My advice is "do it as soon as you can" once the farewell trips are announced the price will be sky high, remember what they charged for the QE2 tandem crossing.

I got a price of about £700 for the westbound, but the eastbound was almost double this. So I went on NCL again for almost half of this.

However you are right, while NCL offers great value on super modern ships, if you want to cross the atlantic, there is only one way to do it.

I have not sailed on QE2 for some time as I'm not interested in floating around the med. If I were I would prefer to sail on a newer ship. But if you want to cross the atlantic, it has to be the QE2.

Archived