Voyage of the midnight sun

steilkurve

Hello all. We'll be sailing Koningsdam on the above voyage in July. Two-week cruise through the Norwegian Fjords. As we prepare and look at shore excursions, I was wondering how much of the fjords you see from the ship itself and if it is necessary to also book an excursion to better get a feel for the fjord. For instance, we will be sailing through Hardangerfjord to get to Eidfjord and then Bergen. Because of the port time, I assume most of the sailing will be in the evening and or night, albeit short at that time of year. Does that give you a good feel for the fjords? Thoughts from those who've sailed such an itinerary with HAL specifically would be appreciated. Thanks. NP

• 6 months later...

Hello! I see No One got back to you. But we are doing this exact cruise next July for our 44 anniversary. Any pointer or must sees? Did you do any of their tours? We are looking forward to this as we've been to Antarctica so now to the North! We're staying in Amsterdam 3 days before leaving, staying at the recommended hotel at the pier. We've been on over 50 cruises since 1985, but we're still excited to do this with brother & sister in law joining us to celebrate! Maybe someone else will jump into this conversation. Thanks for any helpful hints on what to see!

We did this on August 4th this year. We arrived around 10 am, and saw a lot of the fjord on the way in, also the way out. There's a bridge the ship passes under, I really wish I'd had the camera out. If I remember correctly, we got good views of the fjord all the way out until we hit the ocean. We even saw a fire boat while port.

We did the Waterfalls and Waffles shore excursion. My waffle was stone cold (DH's was warm), and there were no refills on the coffee! I heard the path at the waterfall was very slick and treacherous, so if you're at all mobility impaired, I'd avoid it. The guide said something about building a structure that would let us see the falls better. I did get a glimpse of it from the bus. I did the gift shop instead. No handrails on the steps to the bathroom.

The scenery on this excursion was fabulous!

We did the Grieg Concert in Bergen. Loved it! Would do it again!

Edited by knittinggirl