TUI Discovery - Dry Dock Progress?

I spoke to a few of the crew on our 29th March cruise and only one of them was staying on for the transition and he was in charge of IT. Our cabin steward was going to Adventure along with quite a few others. The concierge was going to Grandeur and dining room staff were being scattered far and wide amongst the RCI fleet.

Thomsons will be using different? agencies to provide the staff and indeed within the Thomson fleet the Louis ships use different agencies with more eastern European staff.

So they have 6 weeks plus a few days to get to Palma?

I notice Mein Schiff 3 is drydocked nearby and maybe Discovery will be as well during the refit.

Apart from refurbishments there will be a lot of crew training to get through.

Lucky the RCI IT officer stayed aboard for the repositioning given Thomsons less than perfect performance with computers :D

IMO if they want to have Discovery be the latest 'modern' TUI ship they need to have fridges in all the cabins and tea making facilities as well. I understand splendour only had fridges in the 'posh' cabins.

So they have 6 weeks plus a few days to get to Palma?

I notice Mein Schiff 3 is drydocked nearby and maybe Discovery will be as well during the refit.

Apart from refurbishments there will be a lot of crew training to get through.

Lucky the RCI IT officer stayed aboard for the repositioning given Thomsons less than perfect performance with computers :D

IMO if they want to have Discovery be the latest 'modern' TUI ship they need to have fridges in all the cabins and tea making facilities as well. I understand splendour only had fridges in the 'posh' cabins.

we have booked on the discovery in october so ive been on the thomson website quite a bit and tea & coffee making facilities are definitely available in all cabins, I would however be interested in knowing if anyone knows (having sailed on the spelendor) whether fridges are included? we'll be in a Junior suite and plan on taking a few bottles of bubbly to have on the balcony.

we have booked on the discovery in october so ive been on the thomson website quite a bit and tea & coffee making facilities are definitely available in all cabins, I would however be interested in knowing if anyone knows (having sailed on the spelendor) whether fridges are included? we'll be in a Junior suite and plan on taking a few bottles of bubbly to have on the balcony.

There were definitely fridges in Junior Suites and above. We're also hoping they keep the fridges. Nothing like a sundowner on the balcony.

There were definitely fridges in Junior Suites and above. We're also hoping they keep the fridges. Nothing like a sundowner on the balcony.

We have also booked a JS for our July 23rd cruise. hoping for a fridge to store the whiskey!

cold whiskey? what madness is this :)

glad theres fridges in the JS though, now just to wish away the next 6 months!

Ah, just about 3 for me! Ok, I'll settle for an ice making compartment in the fridge.[emoji106]

Definitely no ice making compartment in the fridges and actually they don't keep things that cold. I always ask the stateroom attendant for ice in the afternoons to chill the wine. The fridge is ok for keeping the tonic cool and a cube or two of ice makes it just about perfect. Of course you have to drink the G&T before the ice melts. LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

When it was Splendour, there were definitely fridges in Junior and full suites when we stayed in them, so hopefully will be the same with Thomson.

Having said that, we have been looking at July cruises on Discovery and are really disappointed in the pricing for Grand Suites. With RCI, the huge difference in the price gave you several perks that, while not essentials, were very nice extras (drinks, reserved seating, full restaurant menu for room service etc), and for us they really added to the experience, so we didn't mind paying more.

Thomson are charging many hundreds of £££s for what appears to be little more than the extra floor space. I think we will give the Grand Suite a miss with Thomson, unless they offer better value for money.

I too am hoping that our JS will include a perk or two. At the moment, I think you can have a couple of items laundered once a week. Hopefully the room size and position will justify the extra expense. Decided to splash out as its a significant anniversary for us but I think we may look elsewhere for our next cruise.

When it was Splendour, there were definitely fridges in Junior and full suites when we stayed in them, so hopefully will be the same with Thomson.

Having said that, we have been looking at July cruises on Discovery and are really disappointed in the pricing for Grand Suites. With RCI, the huge difference in the price gave you several perks that, while not essentials, were very nice extras (drinks, reserved seating, full restaurant menu for room service etc), and for us they really added to the experience, so we didn't mind paying more.

Thomson are charging many hundreds of £££s for what appears to be little more than the extra floor space. I think we will give the Grand Suite a miss with Thomson, unless they offer better value for money.

Totally agree about the pricing and perks with the Grand Suites. We've given them a swerve this time and opted for a Junior Aft Suite, which seems to have the same benefits. I did read somewhere (can't remember where) that they are keeping the Concierge Lounge, so presumably that will be for Grand and above. However, as Discovery is going to be AI from next year, I don't know that I would use the Concierge Lounge much anyway. It can be a bit of a pain when you get stuck in there with RCI's Pinnacle passengers every night who insist on recounting their entire cruising history, LOL!

Totally agree about the pricing and perks with the Grand Suites. We've given them a swerve this time and opted for a Junior Aft Suite, which seems to have the same benefits. I did read somewhere (can't remember where) that they are keeping the Concierge Lounge, so presumably that will be for Grand and above. However, as Discovery is going to be AI from next year, I don't know that I would use the Concierge Lounge much anyway. It can be a bit of a pain when you get stuck in there with RCI's Pinnacle passengers every night who insist on recounting their entire cruising history, LOL!

Just booked a Junior Suite today, for the July 16th sailing :) Just couldn't see anything at all that would make me want to shell out another £800 for a Grand Suite. Really no perks to speak of.

Hopefully they will soon realise when hardly anyone books them, that they need to make them much more attractive in terms of benefits, or lower the price significantly. I see they even charge for a safe in the Grand Suite! :eek:

The comment about the Pinnacle members made me laugh. We have met quite a few in the Suite Lounge. Most very nice, but yes, we have come across the bores too! :D