Istanbul to Venice shore excursions

Bruin Steve

With my cruise, flights and hotels all figured out, it's time to start seriously considering ports, tours, shore excursions...

Here's what I'm looking at right now:

Istanbul:

Shore excursion under consideration: Highlights of Istanbul $99.00 8 1/2 hours...

Here's the problem...We'll be arriving in Istanbul the morning of the 12th....we board the ship on the 14th and don't set sail until the night of the 15th...the excursion will be on the 15th and, by that time, we probably might have seen everything that would be on the tour...So, I'm thinking about just finding private guides or non-ship tours or just a good guide book and wandering on our own...

Kusadasi:

Best of Kusadasi $109.00 7 1/2 hours

Looks like a good place to just do the ship's tour...and this tour looks to be pretty expansive.

Rhodes:

Ancient Lindos & Medieval Rhodes $124.00 8 hours

Ditto what I wrote about Kusadasi.

Delos:

Mythical Delos $69.00 4 hours

I started another thread on this one...Very confusing...Or is a tour necessary?

Mykonos:

A Guided Stroll Through Mykonos $59.00 2 1/2 hours ...or, more likely, no tour at all...We're here from 2:00 pm to 11:00 pm and it might just be the kind of port we wander and enjoy on our own...Not really sure what they'd show you on a guided walking tour...

Santorini:

No tour...We were here two years ago while on the Millennium and the offered tours are all repetitive of the one we did on that cruise. We MAY rent a jeep and explore the island...or just use our feet and public buses.

Athens:

Historic Corinth and The Canal $57.00 4 1/2 hours

But, this one doesn't thrill me. We have been to Athens twice before including 2 years ago...and we took the excursion to the Acropolis and to Cape Sounion on that one, so the other offered tours are repetitive. Perhaps we hire a private guide here and design our own tour.

Amalfi:

Beautiful Positano & Amalfi $74.00 4 hours

A lot like Athens--we've been to this area before a couple of times...The Millie stopped in Naples and we did a Capri, Sorrento and Pompei excursion, so, this time, Positano and Amalfi works...but, it's only a 4 hour tour and we have the full day...Could be another spot for a private guide perhaps?

Taormina:

Beautiful Taormina & Mt. Etna $119.00 8 hours

The excursion seems like it fits the bill (similar to Rhodes and Kusadasi)

Kotor:

No tour...The Oceania website isn't showing any...is this a town we wander on our own?

Dubrovnik:

Village Home and Town of Cavtat $57.00 4 hours...MAYBE...

We were here on the Millie as well...and did a tour that included Cavtat...Found Cavtat absolutely boring...But, it's this part that sounds intriguing: >>a typical local family will extend the traditional welcome of local brandy and dried figs. The family has lived here for generations producing grape brandy, olive oil and wine in the traditional way. Partake in the unique opportunity of visiting their house and observing how these people have lived throughout the centuries in this area. After strolling through the wine cellars and olive presses enjoy a light repast of local specialities including grilled meats, local cheese, smoked ham and homemade bread to the accompaniment of a group of local musicians and singers performing typical “Dalmatian” songs. <<

OTOH, maybe we just stay in Dubrovnik and wander on our own...

Venice:

Secret Corners of Venice & Grand Canal $94.00 4 hours

Not really sure about this one either...We've been to Venice a few times and spent a few days there 2 years ago...This tour MAY be something different...but is it really worth spending $188 on? We've got two additional nights in Venice post-cruise (after the "overnight"), so , likely, it's another "on our own" port...

For anyone who has done this itinerary...or who has been to these ports and taken the excursions with Oceania...Do you have any comments or suggestions? I am especially interested vis-a-vis those ports which we've never visited: Istanbul, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Delos/Mykonos, Taormina and Kotor...

Thank you...

My experience in Istanbul:

Going with an organized tour is probably the worst strategy you can use as it guarantees you will be rushed through the amzing sites of the city. You will feel like you are on a conveyor belt and a crowded one at that.

My suggestion is to get to the Old City where the Topkapi Museum is located as well as the outstanding mosques. You definitely can visit these on your own. From these sites you can walk to both the Spice Market (about 15 minutes) and to the Grand Bazaar (about 10 minutes). Both of these markets are very exciting stops and very worthwhile, too.

In the mosque area is an offbeat site: the cisterns (a fascinating resevoir for the city). A bit distant is the Military Museum which contains not only pieces from the various wars with Greece but field tents of the Turkish Pashas/Sultans. They are absolutely fabulous and bear no resemblance to what comes to mind with the word "tent".

My favorite memories include buying (and eating a lot of) the sesame coated breads shaped like an enlarged bagel. When I was there, the cost 16 cents (US) each. I think the name of them is something like cimit, but fear not: they are sold everywhere on the streets, fresh and wonderful.

I envy you as Istanbul is truly one of the most spectacular tourist cities in the world. And I haven't even mentioned the views, the wonderful restaurants etc.

Now the downside: do not, repeat do not accept any friendly offers to practice English with you, act as you free guide, or take you to their Uncle's Rug Store. It will lead to high pressure tactics and, if you are like some, you might end up with a very, very bad value on a rug purchase.

Oh, and the apple tea is warming, tasty and has no caffeine.

Maybe there is room in your suitcase for me.

Steve,

Go to this website for Istanbul. We used them in August for a day and our party of six had a great tour. http://www.eski****.com

We don't like being on a 35 or more passenger bus. We took only one Oceania tour on our Black Sea Cruise -- it was for Sochi, Russia. We didn't want to get visas so we went with Oceania. When we had to wait for two lost people, I reminded my husband why I found all private tours for all the other ports.

Sheila

We just got back from an Oceania cruise that stopped in Kusadasi. We had a wonderful private guide to take us to Ephesus and a few other places. Her name is Emek. She speaks fluent English and all 6 of us enjoyed being with her. Her address is emekevin@hotmail.com

The guide we had for 3 days in Istanbul was absolutely wonderful She knew all the history, every shortcut in Istanbul and her English was as good as mine. Highly recommended. fatos65@superonline.com

Any questions; feel free to e-mail me. Judy

Dubrovnik you can grab a taxi at the dock and get to the town for about $10.00

the driver will offer to take you on a tour and sure you can beat the ship tour that way.

you have received lots of info for istanbul so won't duplicate.

For Rhodes the ride to Lindos is beautiful but not sure what else they are offering to show you ..there are lots of shops on the way ( leather, ceramics, jewelry, tapestry and rugs..

not sure what 50 folks on the bus get , but would book my own tour.

We have used and always recommend Nick at Rhodes private tours. The old/medival town you can do on your own ( and it is within walking distance of the port 10 or so minutes-easy walk)..so you don't really need a "tour" to do that.

to email Nick:

http://www.greecetravel.com/rhodes/privatetours/

Archived