Mardi Gras In Galveston

Raxter54

We will be cruising out of Galveston on Feb 18 of next year. The Mardi Gras celebration in Galveston starts on Feb 17. Does anyone know if that will affect traffic on 45, and traffic around the cruise terminal? Hopefully most of the activities will occur on the other side of the island. We sailed from NOLA last Feb and had to deal with some parade traffic from the Fulton garage to the terminal. Wanted to see if I should try and get there earlier than originally planned.

Thanks!

I've done one cruise over Mardi Gras in Galveston and it was a blast. There will be some street closures on the island, but not at the port itself. If you plan on staying the night before your cruise, get your reservations in now. Prices will go up and up and hotels will fill up. As far as I-45 traffic, it will be heavier but that really varies with construction and accidents.

The Mardi Gras activities are usually in the afternoon and night. When you leave from the port side of the island you will not be bothered.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

A lot of mardi gras activity near the port at the Strand but it won't interfere with you getting to the cruise ship. As Margee said, late afternoon and evenings are when the activities are going. Great time to sail out of Galveston. Traffic will be no different getting there either.... just normal I-45 stuff - construction, accidents, etc. The norm. Enjoy!

Thanks very much for the information. Puts my mind at ease a little. After checking the map, I may go ahead and get off the freeway and onto Harborside Dr as soon as possible, instead of taking the freeway up to 25th Street. That should avoid some traffic - I hope :-)

Edited by Raxter54

It will - definitely. That is the route we take when we hit up the Strand about once or twice a month. Only traffic around there is the cruise folks. Of all my years going to Galveston, and for different events, I have never seen traffic in that area unless it is peak time for cruise ship boarding. Even then, it is not bad at all. Most traffic on Galveston Island is along the Seawall.... which you don't have to worry about.