Bring food purchased @ Granville Island onto the ship in Vancouver?

lobster129

I hadn't thought of dried food as an issue. I was planning to bring about 30 packages of Spam Snacks (essentially spam jerky bites in a sealed mylar pouch) on our 2 week vacation including 8 night Alaskan cruise. It's a convenient protein snack that we like.

We'd have the potential issue of taking it into Canada (fly into Seattle, drive to Vancouver) and back into the US (get on cruise ship in Vancouver and get off cruise ship back in Seattle).

If I could prove they were purchased in the US, do you think it would be an issue. I'd declare it, but hate to take a big chance on losing it.

http://www.spam.com/varieties/spam-snacks-classic

http://www.spam.com/varieties/spam-snacks-bacon

Edited by flatlander321

I can only assume you're being deliberately facetious at this point PD, unless you actually believe a dictionary or thesaurus is supposed to be read from end-to-end like a novel - the PDF I linked to (which you obviously opened to check the page count...) is thoroughly indexed, and even includes right at the start a 'how to use this guide' section.

Depending on species, you may only have to click on a single link and read a couple of sentences; even the most complex situation, with a plant that could be High or Low risk depending where it was grown/transshipped through still only requires looking up the species plus a couple of extra tables.

And frankly all experiences over the years are rendered moot every time the rules change - surely you remember all the press about Longhorned Beetle infestations? It spurred a big change in inspection rules when ALB was found in Vaughan, ON and CLB in Tukwila, WA just as 'Mad Cow' disease impacted cross-border beef sales. Things go the other way too - WA and BC apples can both be taken freely over the border as long as they're individually stickered with their origin for example, as they've proven low enough risk no inspection at all is required for individual use import/export any more.

So, to wrap this back around to relevant, factual info & advice for LMZinSC, lobster129 and any others who might be considering some fresh flowers - while the odds are slim you'll have an issue, there are things you can do to minimize the risks even further without having to worry about decoding US government manuals, however well-indexed they might be:

First, avoid decorative grasses and especially anything that looks like wood - roses are particularly safe, as these are the only plant that gets a pass on other species being mixed in as long as 75% of the stems are roses.

Second, choose a bouquet that lists where the flowers were grown if possible - and avoid the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and New Caledonia like the plague. Chile & Jamaica are particularly safe origins, and Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador and Guatemala also are generally lower risk than other places including Canada.

Third and most important - DECLARE THEM. If there's a new and super-keen guy on the job, a new directive to increase inspection rates, a sudden outbreak of a disease or pest hits the news, or anything else that makes the agent want to look at your flowers - they get confiscated and you lose the cost of the bouquet. Fail to declare them and hefty fines are on the cards!

Really, only you would take an act of purchasing a bouquet of cut flowers and turn it into a 300 word dissertation (no I haven't counted the words I am guessing) and flaunt a 156 page document under everyone's nose . The simple fact is that cut flowers are brought onto ships at Canada Place all the time without issue. Now if you have seen otherwise please let the good people know.

Really, only you would take an act of purchasing a bouquet of cut flowers and turn it into a 300 word dissertation (no I haven't counted the words I am guessing) and flaunt a 156 page document under everyone's nose . The simple fact is that cut flowers are brought onto ships at Canada Place all the time without issue. Now if you have seen otherwise please let the good people know.

Super classy as always PD...

Unfortunately facts, laws, rules & regs etc. don't depend on whether or not a particular individual witnesses things. Absence is not evidence.

However, absence of your replies on my screen will make things work more smoothly around here, so I'm going to use another useful tool - the Ignore function.

What type of things can you find at Granville Island? We usually try to get xmas ornaments every place we visit. We enjoy hand made items. Is this stuff we would find at Granville?

I am not aware of a specialty Christmas shop on Granville Is. That is not to say that there isn't a shop that carries some decorations year round. There used to be a Christmas shop in Gastown but I am not sure that it still exists. Someone else maybe along with some suggestions.

What type of things can you find at Granville Island? We usually try to get xmas ornaments every place we visit. We enjoy hand made items. Is this stuff we would find at Granville?

We were just there recently, and PD is correct, no special Christmas store. There are, however, loads of shops, including some that sell NW Coastal art. I did see one shop that had Christmas ornaments. Let me see if I can figure out where it was.

I'm pretty sure it was in either section 8C or 8D on this map.

http://granvilleisland.com/directory

It was NOT a Christmas store. I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that it was a place that sold art.

Edited by CowPrincess