Booked for two weeks' time. Please assure me we haven't made a mistake!

Guindalf

This will be cruise number 14 for us. Most have been on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and one each on Celebrity and Carnival. We had a really bad time on the Carnival Sensation in 2003, and vowed never again, but my wife was in the hospital two weeks ago and we needed an inexpensive break that HAD to be sailing on May 15th from Tampa or Canaveral (she has family in middle FLA) due to work commitments, which left us no potion but to book the Valor.

The Sensation was our second cruise, so we were comparing everything with the first RCCL trip, which is unfair as the first one is always magical. We also had an interior cabin, which we didn't like and the ship seemed to be full of drunks throwing up in the hallways. There was a lack of entertainment, especially during port days (trivia, etc.) and, although not Carnival's fault, we were diverted due to a medical emergency and went to Costa Maya instead of Grand Cayman, with no alternate excursions offered. At that time, Costa Maya was a very new port of call with very little to see and do.

So, the Valor is a second chance and I'm hoping it won't be the last.

Anyone got any tips of what to do or avoid? Help assure me I've made the right choice!

You'll have a good time.

Not too sure what entertainment you want onboard while the ship is in port. Princess, HAL and Carnival all have limited entertainment. Carnival has the most with continuous trivia. Best time to win a ship on a stick.

Valor's buffet area is open 24/7. We almost always end up here late night. Pizza, soft serve and drinks are available. Carnival has the best (free) hot chocolate at sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Board with a good attitude and all will be fine. Enjoy the things that are different from the other cruises you've sailed on. From experience, it's impossible not to be doing comparisons throughout the trip but don't let it ruin your vacation. You'll find some things you like better and others you don't.

We've sailed on several of the cruise lines and each have pros and cons and we keep ending up back on Carnival. It may end up not being the right fit for you but you may be surprised! Keep in mind that this is what fit your needs at the time and any day on a ship is better than being at work!

My favorite things on Carnival are the Comedy Club and the Serenity Deck.

Also be aware that the Sensation is a smaller ship than the Valor. The Valor is currently in dry dock having major upgrades made to it. So any future Valor cruises should be even better.

For what it is worth I never liked the sensation but did like the Valor and this is before the upgrades being done as we speak.

One thing you should know is the Valor is coming out of a major renovation just before your trip.

She is in drydock right now, and is scheduled to come out on 5/8. The first cruise scheduled is a three day on 5/12, and yours starts after that one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2316026&highlight=valor

It should be shiny and new..........

This will be cruise number 14 for us. Most have been on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and one each on Celebrity and Carnival.

Anyone got any tips of what to do or avoid?

Avoid sailings that are 6 days or less.

Avoid sailings just after a drydock or prior to a drydock.

:(

Edited by ObstructedView2

I would take a study of the ship plans - on the Valor you cannot navigate from bow to stern on decks 3 and 4. The lobby and one DR are accessible from the front elevators; the rear DR is accessible from the back with the kitchen in the middle. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine on the Conquest class ships, but never enough to keep me from booking a cruise. It just helps to go prepared so that you can plan as you are walking around or headed to dinner, not to get stymied on these floors. Also, make sure you try Fish and Chips - hidden up on Deck 10 above Lido.

As others have said, if you go with an open mind, you should have a great time. I prefer their food hands down to RCI and think it is on par with Princess - we like some things better on each line.

You know what your "cruising style" is at this point, so go with what you like. We have a cruise routine depending on if it is a sea or shore day. And most importantly, we cruise to relax. And even on short cruises where people are having a 3-4 day long party, we can always still find quiet spots. We also always have a balcony and we often escape there even on a 7 day cruise. So, take a look at the ship also in light of your cruising style and plan accordingly.

Carnival has put some really amazing things on their ships - Guys Burgers, Blue Iquana, Puncliner and Alchemy Bar just to name a few and it is a far cry from a 2003 Sensation cruise. Enjoy!

Edited by A&Jfamily

Valor is a GREAT ship, and I have no doubt that you're gonna have a fantastic time aboard. As noted above, she's a larger ship than the Sensation, and of course newer as well. Just the right size, IMO. Big enough to have lots of activities, but not so big that she's crowded. ;) Be sure to come back and tell us how it went, when you return.

"SKY"

Why???

Because they are cheaper cruises and tend to have a more party atmosphere than family/relaxing.

And dry dock is notorious for causing a bit of uproar on a ship, which is going to vary depending on what is done, because the staff has to get used to new food, routines etc. In the case of the Valor, she is picking up things like Guys and Blue Iguana and Alchemy. All those have to be specially staffed or other-wised trained. It has been reported that it can take few weeks to work kinks out post-dry dock. And pre-dry-dock it is rumored that the staff is antsy and ready to be off the ship.

Because they are cheaper cruises and tend to have a more party atmosphere than family/relaxing.

And dry dock is notorious for causing a bit of uproar on a ship, which is going to vary depending on what is done, because the staff has to get used to new food, routines etc. In the case of the Valor, she is picking up things like Guys and Blue Iguana and Alchemy. All those have to be specially staffed or other-wised trained. It has been reported that it can take few weeks to work kinks out post-dry dock. And pre-dry-dock it is rumored that the staff is antsy and ready to be off the ship.

I was just on the Valor before dry dock and the cruise was great. I found no difference other than leaving late from PC on debarkation day.

The crew was outstanding. The food and service was great in the MDR.

And what's wrong with a party atmosphere?

And pre-dry-dock it is rumored that the staff is antsy and ready to be off the ship.

We sailed on Fantasy's last cruise before her dry dock in February. Had a GREAT time and no issues. The last night on board, Carnival threw a "Thank You, Charleston" party. Quite a few members of the staff that we talked to were staying with the ship during the dry dock as they still had time on their contract.

I was just on the Valor before dry dock and the cruise was great. I found no difference other than leaving late from PC on debarkation day.

You and I must have been on the same cruise. Our start was rocky but we had a great cruise. We took cruse newbies. After the first shock of our late departure issue, they were complimentary of everything. Food, entertainment. We had a blast. And I am a travel snob.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the replies so far. I would like to say that a cruise IS what you make it and we WILL be going into it with an open mind. In fact, we live in Georgia, so having places like Charleston and Jacksonville as options is a bonus for future cruises!

I appreciate that different lines have different pros and cons, so I'm going to try not to compare everything all the time. We were lucky with our last two NCL experiences as we had a free drinks package on both, plus specialty dining (one free and one paid) and OBC as well. Plus the first one was a suite with butler and concierge for under $1000 each - unreal treatment and we got a real bargain!

As I said, we're relatively seasoned cruisers and our needs have changed since 2003, so we'll definitely give it a fair shake. I didn't realize that she'll be fresh out of dry dock, so some of the additions are a welcome bonus, too.

I didn't say anything was "wrong" with a party atmosphere. You asked "Why" and I answered people say don't take such a cruise. I did not offer an opinion, just reports.