Losing weight before I cruise!!!

I am so glad there is a board for people trying to lose weight for their cruises, as I am one of them. I am going on the Carnival Spirit in Feb 2017 so I'm hoping that give me time to lose weight so I can fit into my clothes before we cruise, then I don't have to buy new clothing. I have just put some tops on Lay-buy that are one or 2 sizes smaller than me, so it would give me inspiration to lose weight, but it so far isn't doing anything.

Unfortunately I love love LOVE food, especially the savoury stuff, and I find it very hard to get motivated anymore to exercise or want to stop eating the food I love! BUT for the sake of my health especially, as I am rather large, I really need to do this and stop giving up a week later or making excuses for not wanting to stop eating the bad stuff! So, from tomorrow which will be the 2nd of May here in Australia, I will start my WW programme, I have Weight Watchers books that I ordered months ago, that I never even started to try and work from, all that money spent on them and I've done nothing with them, well, not this time!

I also have to get my mind out of eating junk food all weekend long as I do, even when I am dieting, as this is just not helping me lose weight or keep it off! So, even though its going to be tough for me and I probably won't be too happy about it, next weekend is the start to new thinking, I will let myself have one thing if I crave it, but I will not let myself eat junk food all weekend long. So every Sunday, I will weigh myself and report it here, instead of weighing on a Saturday like I do, this way I won't be able to overeat on Saturdays like I do now. So, here I go.......:)

Good Luck to us all in this healthy endeavor! We are cruising in October in the new Carnival Vista, so I may not lose a lot of weight before then; however my goal is to increase my energy level by walking! We will also be on Caribbean Princess in Feb of next year, followed by NCL Escape, so hopefully by then there will be less of me boarding the ship!

Good luck to you all, so far its only been 3 days for me but I have stayed within my point range of the Weight Watchers programme, I'm doing it myself though, not going to any of their meetings, too expensive! My weigh day is either Saturday or Sunday.

Hey!

I'm in Australia also (Darwin) and am doing Weight Watchers. I've lost 12.5 kilos so far. I'm doing the online program with the app on my phone and honestly, find it ridiculously easy to follow. I do love food as well and I HATE HATE HATE to exercise, so I really have to push myself to make the right choices.

I'm cruising in November for my honeymoon!!

Isabel

Hi Violetmoon1979. I've done pretty good this week, today was my weigh in day and I lost 1.8 kilos, its not much but its better than putting on! Thursday I found it hard to want to go on with the programme, I was hungry and felt sorry for myself that I couldn't have what I wanted to eat, but I stuck it out as I am so determined to be healthier and to fit my clothes better for the cruise, they're a little tight at the moment but I want to be comfortable in them! I live in Melbourne, the Eastern part, it gets cold here, wish I could have some of your heat, lol. Unfortunately due to laziness, I find it hard to exercise now, I have Osteoarthritis in the back so every 5-10 minutes I have to sit down as my back seizes up, so it has put a damper on my exercise routine, but I am not going to quit, I am doing only 5 mins at the moment on a stepper and the exercise bike, in the next couple of months I hope to be doing 20-30 mins of exercise. I used to love walking, thats why I get upset with myself for becoming lazy with it, but I will slowly get there! You will too, it just takes time and alot of effort!:)

I'm doing OK! not as good as I'd like though, I'm tracking my food fine, doing exercises, trying to slowly build up enough so I can go longer than 5 minutes. I do need to start cutting back on the salt and sugar, I've started eating yoghurt and more fruit, I've only just stopped feeling famished before dinner. It takes alot out of me not to eat the wrong food as I love food so much, I actually get upset when I can't eat, say, something like ice cream at night because I have eaten my points for the day or a chocolate bar. Since last Saturday I've gone from being 107 to being 105.3 kg!!:)

I'm doing OK! not as good as I'd like though, I'm tracking my food fine, doing exercises, trying to slowly build up enough so I can go longer than 5 minutes. I do need to start cutting back on the salt and sugar, I've started eating yoghurt and more fruit, I've only just stopped feeling famished before dinner. It takes alot out of me not to eat the wrong food as I love food so much, I actually get upset when I can't eat, say, something like ice cream at night because I have eaten my points for the day or a chocolate bar. Since last Saturday I've gone from being 107 to being 105.3 kg!!:)

I've been blending frozen bananas with coco powder as a substitute for ice cream. You can also find chocolate covered banana or strawberry slices at Walmart in the frozen section for 100 cals a serving. I believe Costco is demonstrating a fairly inexpensive blender kind of machine that turns any frozen fruit into a sort of soft serve concoction. These may help you eat more fruit and cut your cravings!

I too would like to lose some weight before my cruise to Hawaii in Oct. I want to get down from 10 to 8. I was doing real well but then had to have my gall bladder removed. It has been 10 days since my surgery but I have been walking for about 1/2 hour the past 3 days. I can not exercise until the doc says I can so I'm kind of frustrated because I have such a short time to get to my goal. Good luck to everyone, lets do this! We can do it!

Small comment, be careful with too much fruit because most fruit has high sugar which can negate some of the positive aspects. People think all the time that while dieting they can have all the fruit they want because it's "healthy" that's not true. Fruit,depending on type , is high on the glycemic index This creates a spike in blood-sugar and an increase in insulin production. Which if you already are overweight leads to fat storage. Long story short increase your vegetable intake...that's the one you can have almost unlimited supply of (within limits). As for fruit just be aware how much sugar is in it. Google it and glycemic index you'll see what I'm talking about.

Another note. There is a wonderful app for tracking food/calorie/exercise its called my fitness pal. In the past when I've used it I've lost over 20 lbs in about 2-3 months. I'm back on it now lol as I obviously need the watchdog and routine. I also like that whenever you exercise its gives you additional calories that you can eat. I actually find that I struggle to eat enough calories. Currently I'm slotted 1500 a day if I don't exercise other than normal household activities. That is having my settings at wanting to lose 2 lbs a week. Of course if I workout all those expended calories get added into my allowed total for the day. So if I work out for 45 minutes and expend 500 calories my new daily total I can eat is 2000. The my fitness pal app will also track nutrients so I can Monitor things like fat, sugar and carbs, vitamins, protein, etc. if I sound like a fan it's because I know it works if you are consistent plus I never feel starved which leads to binge eating. Folks that try to 1200 calories are being unrealistic and actually doing themselves more harm than good and possibly sending their bodies into starvation mode which will result in the body holding onto weight and possibly gaining. Any weight lost will probably be water and muscle weight lose rather than fat. This is especially true for women as our bodies are naturally built to retain body fat. If you have ever dieted and worked out with a male partner then you will know what I'm saying as he drops more weight quicker. So frustrating! That's in large part due to having 50% more muscle mass than a woman of the same general size. So what should woman do...actually weight training is one of the best ways to kick up your metabolism. No you won't get all bulgy because you lift weights. Women will slim down long before they start to build crazy muscles like body builders again that's just how we are built. I'm sorry I rambled on so much I hope this was helpful. Also if you have the fitness app and want to add me as a friend the app I'm jmckay331 like here at yahoo. Friends always help you keep on track and I know I need it. Lol. My goal is 60 lbs this year. At a minimum I want 40 by Christmas.

jmckay331, Its funny you bring that APP up as my sister has just put me on it, it is such an awesome APP. It takes a little time to get use to, but it takes more time to write your plan out than it does just jotting in the foods you eat and have it come up with the calories in an instant for your food diary, so I HIGHLY recommend this My Fitness Pal APP, its so much easier to do than having to look up everything on a weight watchers programme!:D

Another note. There is a wonderful app for tracking food/calorie/exercise its called my fitness pal. In the past when I've used it I've lost over 20 lbs in about 2-3 months. I'm back on it now lol as I obviously need the watchdog and routine. I also like that whenever you exercise its gives you additional calories that you can eat. I actually find that I struggle to eat enough calories. Currently I'm slotted 1500 a day if I don't exercise other than normal household activities. That is having my settings at wanting to lose 2 lbs a week. Of course if I workout all those expended calories get added into my allowed total for the day. So if I work out for 45 minutes and expend 500 calories my new daily total I can eat is 2000. The my fitness pal app will also track nutrients so I can Monitor things like fat, sugar and carbs, vitamins, protein, etc. if I sound like a fan it's because I know it works if you are consistent plus I never feel starved which leads to binge eating. Folks that try to 1200 calories are being unrealistic and actually doing themselves more harm than good and possibly sending their bodies into starvation mode which will result in the body holding onto weight and possibly gaining. Any weight lost will probably be water and muscle weight lose rather than fat. This is especially true for women as our bodies are naturally built to retain body fat. If you have ever dieted and worked out with a male partner then you will know what I'm saying as he drops more weight quicker. So frustrating! That's in large part due to having 50% more muscle mass than a woman of the same general size. So what should woman do...actually weight training is one of the best ways to kick up your metabolism. No you won't get all bulgy because you lift weights. Women will slim down long before they start to build crazy muscles like body builders again that's just how we are built. I'm sorry I rambled on so much I hope this was helpful. Also if you have the fitness app and want to add me as a friend the app I'm jmckay331 like here at yahoo. Friends always help you keep on track and I know I need it. Lol. My goal is 60 lbs this year. At a minimum I want 40 by Christmas.

Thanks for the heads up about My Fitness Pal. I started wearing a Fitbit Flex one month ago, with the goal of losing one lb per week until we cruise in September. I have been using the Fitbit app which works reasonably well, excepting the nuisance of having to create custom foods for the Dream Dinners meals I prepare for dinner. (Dream Dinners is outstanding for us, allowing for the preparation of a month's worth of dinners with portion control and nutritional values clearly defined. That is the topic of another thread.)

I found your post about My Fitness Pal and installed it on my phone yesterday. Much to my delight, the Dream Dinners meals are already in the food list and the list of restaurant menus/menu items is also pretty extensive. So, this app will make my life - and food diary - a lot easier. Thanks so much for sharing!

I've been blending frozen bananas with coco powder as a substitute for ice cream. You can also find chocolate covered banana or strawberry slices at Walmart in the frozen section for 100 cals a serving. I believe Costco is demonstrating a fairly inexpensive blender kind of machine that turns any frozen fruit into a sort of soft serve concoction. These may help you eat more fruit and cut your cravings!

Another way to view fruit in your diet:

I came across recipes for fruit infused ice cubes on Pinterest. They can be used in your water to make drinking water more interesting. Check them out on everydayhealth dot com "Flavor infused ice cubes to jazz up water" #summerfruit #healthyrecipes

Now that I am working to drink 8 glasses of water a day, I am looking for easy ways to make the water taste better. Lemon and orange infused waters have been working up to now. I am going to add the fruit infused ice cubes to my list and keep up the hydration. Drinking a glass of water before I eat anything helps me manage my food intake.

Im glad it works for you. I have found its a great way to stay accountable for calorie intake and that it shows you nutrient info which is great when you are watching something specific like carb intake or doing low fat. Im a huge fan of the app after using it.

I lost 50 lbs on a low carb diet. There is no limit to how much you eat. No fat or calorie counting. You start out with only animal products and green veggies, then add other veggies and limited fruit after the second week. So you can eat a steak without remorse and still lose weight. I am diabetic and control my blood sugar this way also without any meds. For people that think its not healthy you should see my lab results. The first week is hard to make the change, but after that you start to feel much better than ever before. For maintanance you add back carbs for one meal a day or add 1 cheat day per week. If you start to gain you go back to the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I started a diet about 6 weeks ago and have lost 11 pounds. We cruise in less than a month for 24 days and I am quite nervous about open ended eating.

I basically decided to diet so I could enjoy eating on this cruise, but now that I have lost weight and look and feel better I am wanting to keep most of it off.

I now walk about 5 miles a day and that has really helped. I plan to continue that regiment on our trip. But any real good suggestions for the constant temptation of food?