From zero to sixty...am I crazy?

RicoMari

I have never cruised. My boyfriend has never cruised. We are going on our maiden voyage on the Valor on August 14, aft wrap. Originally we were booked on the Dream on July 3, but had to change our plans for work reasons. Before we switched gears we were both ambivalent about Carnival and cruising in general, having never done it before. Since having to do a little research in making the change I have developed a serious problem in a short time and now have FOUR cruises booked, the Valor in Aug., plus the Conquest in Dec., 2016, the Vista in Dec., 2017 and the Conquest again in April 2018. What is my problem!!??? I've yet to spend one night at sea! Each cruise has unique circumstances, for example Dec 2016 is me and my very young 86 year old dad, who will turn 87 on Christmas Day and has also never cruised, but always wanted to. The next Dec.(2017) is a Havana cabana on the vista just because it was a great price and I have no willpower. And the last one is because it goes to St Kitts and St Marteen and we got an aft wrap and just might get married on the beach....is there a cure for this?

Since you have not cruised before, I have to advise that it is best not to plan an extravagant wedding at one of the port stops. Due to unforeseen circumstances there is always the chance that the ship cannot make it into port. Weather, mechanical issues, someone getting sick somewhere and the ship getting delayed... There are so many things that can go wrong (though they usually don't), but I have seen many people so disappointed because their dream wedding could not take place at a port stop.

Perhaps a better way would be to arrange to be married on the ship?

Thanks, there are no extravagant weddings plans of any sort! Maybe not even a wedding, we are both early 50s, plenty of mileage and no need to make a fuss about a 'destination wedding"; but, if the urge to make it legal strikes us in the next 23 months....that cruise may be the venue or at least the honeymoon! I appreciate the input. We will take all the advice we can get!

The Valor is getting upgrades right now and will be even better for your cruise.

St Maarten was great, we booked a semi-private yacht for an all day of fun. Snorkeling by two different beaches, sailing past the must-see airport twice and a fabulous lunch spread. One of my best days ever.

Not crazy:)! I hope you'll love them all. I really did not think cruising was something for me, but went on a trip with the whole family, thinking I would at least enjoy the ports. Loved it immediately! We're booked on our fifth cruise this summer.

What a wonderful way to spend time with your dad!

I get where you are coming from. I had my second cruise booked before setting foot on my first! The addiction is real. [emoji16]

I, too, want to echo the comment about getting married at a port of call. Bad idea. If you want to get married on a beach at a specific port, plan a land vacation. Ports are never guaranteed and you are setting yourself up for disappointment. But, that might be a moot point since your boyfriend hasn't proposed yet anyway. Like with cruising, you might be getting a little ahead of yourself with that too. [emoji6]

Anyway, welcome to cruising and your expensive new addiction!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

Congrats and welcome to Cruising. I did not book my second till i was done with my first, but I am sure you won't change your mind.

And as for Cruising being expensive, it doesn't have to be. Our first few cruises were in balcony cabins, but soon figured out we can cruise twice as often booked into an inside cabins vs. balconies. Most of the time, we spend up on deck and only use the cabin to change clothes for dinner and sleep a few hours a night. Sure, some cruises we still get balconies (like Alaska and the Mediterranean). But for most of our cruises, we spend around $1500 for a 7 day, upper deck cruise. Pretty cheap, considering all you get on a cruise.

So, go ahead. Book away. It's fun looking forward to your next cruise. But maybe wait and book your next cruise while on board and get the OBC too.

Nope, no cure. As others have said there could be worse things to be "addicted" to. We did our first cruise in 2002 for Christmas and it was a disaster. (Maybe my expectations were too high) Anyways, we decided to give it another try and we are so glad we did. We will also be on the Valor for the August 14, 2016 cruise. Welcome to cruising!!!!

No cure, but there are worse addictions.

After going on yearly cruises with my family as a teenager, I hadn't taken one in years. And then my husband and I found ourselves planning our honeymoon and I suggested a cruise (he had never even been out of the US before), and he said sure, 4 different countries, 4 different beaches, sounds great and then deferred to me for the rest. On the last day of an unbelievable vacation he turned to me and said "wait, how much did this cost us again? We have to do way more of these". We booked our next one when we got home, and the only reason we don't have one booked right now is because vacation time is being eaten up by family events this year and he's getting his diving certification, but I've got my eye on the Vista for 2018!

I get where you are coming from. I had my second cruise booked before setting foot on my first! The addiction is real. [emoji16]

I, too, want to echo the comment about getting married at a port of call. Bad idea. If you want to get married on a beach at a specific port, plan a land vacation. Ports are never guaranteed and you are setting yourself up for disappointment. But, that might be a moot point since your boyfriend hasn't proposed yet anyway. Like with cruising, you might be getting a little ahead of yourself with that too. [emoji6]

Anyway, welcome to cruising and your expensive new addiction!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ha! Good observation and certainly it is my pattern to "get ahead of myself"; but we actually are engaged (beautiful ring and all). We just haven't determined the details...Rico (not his real name) and I met in the 7 th grade and went to school together for a few years. I ended up graduating from a different HS and we went our separate ways, married others, had children, divorced....we were out of touch for more than 30 years.

Fast forward to April 2014, our mutual friends from school arranged an evening out at a local Mexican restaurant and we have not left each other's sides since. Life is funny and such a blessing. But, I will definately take the advice to heart about a port stop ceremony! Thank you!!

Nope, no cure. As others have said there could be worse things to be "addicted" to. We did our first cruise in 2002 for Christmas and it was a disaster. (Maybe my expectations were too high) Anyways, we decided to give it another try and we are so glad we did. We will also be on the Valor for the August 14, 2016 cruise. Welcome to cruising!!!!

So excited to "meet" someone who will on the same cruise!! We will be the greenest blue card holders on board I'm sure...hopefully we won't hold up too many lines or ask too many questions! I'll continue to research and plan for the next 100 days or so. Thanks for replying!