Help!! 3 Day Bahamas, Sovereign or Carnival

I have been on SOS and carnivals ecstacy, I enjoyed my trip on Sovreign much more. Carnival was just a bunch of partiers who don't care much about food quality(MY OPINION ONLY). The food on the Sovreign was good but not great. None of the cruises that I've been on had GREAT food. I like the atmosphere of Royal Caribbean much better than any of the other lines. The employees really care that you're having a good time, and that you're being taken care of. On Carnival the employees just had blank stares on their faces when we asked a question. I think that the passengers on Royal Caribbean are a diverse crowd but they mingle well.

Anything you choose will be fine, remember you're on vacation and if you don't have to cook and clean what could be better?

enjoy your cruise

I have to agree with the above post, I have been on the Ecstasy, and RCCL ships...I would MUCH rather cruise on any RCCL ship than Carnival, especially on a 3 night to the Bahamas.

On Carnival there is way too much "party" atmosphere on these short jaunts. No offense, but seems that the, for lack of a better expression: trashy people go on the short Carnival trips. RCCL has a much higher standard from their passenger's...IMHO

GO WITH SOVEREIGN, she's a Great ship!!!

Hey Cheryl. I answered some of your questions on the Carnival board will answer again and add some.

I have been on both ships and like them both but the Sovereign wins in my book with a better itinerary. Both ships have recently been refurbished so they are both in good shape. I have some photos of both ships in my link below. I had no problem with the food on the SOS and in fact the casual dining was better than the Fantasy.

Coco Cay is great. Nice beach day and very relaxing. Photos of the island are also in my Sovereign set in the link below. Do a search on the RCI board and you will get plenty of reviews about the ship.

About the party atmosphere. You will find that on any shorter cruise. As a matter of fact on the Sovereign back in July, it was much rowdier than anything I have seen on a Carnival ship. Carnival does not have the distinction of being the party line like some people make it. You will have a great time on either ship.

I would disagree with the first two responses. I've done the Sovereign, Fantasy 2x, and will do the Majesty in December. The worst partiers I have ever experienced was on Sovereign (although we still loved her and we are not big partiers.) The short itineraries always tend to have more partying no matter which line you're on. Food was slightly better on Fantasy although I can't complain about our food experiences on any of the cruises we've been on. Both Sovereign and Fantasy have had relatively recent refurbishments. I believe they now have a specialty restaurant on Sovereign (I could be wrong about that) and they do not on Fantasy. The crew treated us every bit as well on our Carnival cruises as they did on our RCCL and I find the lines to be very similar service wise. As you can tell from my signature I'm not partial to one over the other. If a short cruise is what you're looking for either will fit the bill.

Edited: looks like cruisingator and I were posting at the same time. I agree with his spin on things and CocoCay is definitely a plus.

Coco cay is BEAUTIFUL.

No people trying to get you to buy something. When you go to their straw market the employees just wait until you have a question, they DO NOT harrass you like when you are in other ports. If you try an excursion in Coco Cay try the Kayacking. We loved it. We saw stingrays and conch shells and you could even hold a live starfish. Have a great time!!!

I would opt for RCI since it goes to their private island. Carnival does not have a private island and that is one of the best things about the short cruise is being able to go to CoCo Cay. I am pretty sure the rooms are smaller on Sovereign than Fantasy if that is an issue. I found the food on Sovereign to be very good. Good variety, lots of it, tastey..I know others have said negative things about the food but we all found it good. And some of the people i've been with are very PICKY! I can honestly say I've never sent anything back :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived