help needed - new to Thomson

Hi people,

we are very experienced cruisers but have never been on Thomson before. The Croatian/Adriatic voyages look wonderful. Our cruise agent laughed when I suggested it - sorry not me, her.

There are many reasons for choosing a cruise and I love to go to new places. The big ships do same old, same old in the Med.

Anyone out there who has been with different lines {as well as Thomson} what is your view???

Thanks hope you don't mind me asking, just curious and the holiday I'm looking at looks amazing.

thanks Teresa

Your agent was wrong to laugh when you suggested Thomson. We love our cruising, we are Diamond Plus on RCI, Elite on Celebrity, Gold on NCL. We cruised Thomson for the first time a few years ago on Thomson Majesty and will be going again in October on Thomson Spirit. There are no glitzy atriums and promenades that run through the centre of the ship or flow riders and ice rinks. But what we got was a good value for money friendly cruise. We board in our local port of Malaga so don't take the package including flights. It's not necessarily the ship sometimes it's the itinerary certainly this time our 7 night cruise on the Spirit takes in 3 places that we've never been to in Spain .

Edited by glynandkath

Hi Theresa,

As you can see we have been on several lines as well as quite a few on Thomson. As the previous poster says, they are not big glitzy ships like some of the others, but they are very friendly and the shows are excellent. We have found that Thomson, P&O, Fred.Olsen and Princess have a very similar atmosphere on board and are the ones we would choose over RCI & Celebrity, newer ships, but not IMHO so friendly, perhaps because of their size.

The Adriatic itineraries on Thomson are fabulous, probably the best ones they do, apart from the Caribbean. We have done Adriatic Affair on the Celebration and Adriatic Explorer on the Spirit, both excellent. The Dream is not my favourite ship, but the itineraries are wonderful.

I'm not sure that travel agents should be passing such comments on Thomson, but there does seem to be this undercurrent of feeling that Thomson are a cheap, and perhaps not so good, alternative to the big boys! Certainly not cheap any more and IMHO just as good as other lines.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Anyone out there who has been with different lines {as well as Thomson} what is your view???

Our only other cruise line experience is Princess, and they are very good.

However, we've been on more Thomsons cruises, we like the excellent entertainment, relatively uncommon ports of call - and decent food.

The repositioning cruises are usually good itineraries in my opinion.

Your TA has clearly never been on a Thomsons cruise, either that, or she is a member of the Hyacinth Bucket mindset brigade.

We are away tomorrow morning early doors on Majesty - looking forward to an 8th (if my arithmetic is sound) cruise with Thomsons.

The best way (obviously) to find out if you like Thomsons, or not, is to book a cruise and try it out.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

We too will be away at the crack of dawn tomorrow to join Thompson Majesty in Palma for a Western Med trip; our first sea cruise. Looking forward to it , from reviews I have the impression she is not a tidy or clean as she might be, and there seem to be a lot of complaints about cold food, but that staff and entertainers are excellent. Will let you know in 10 days or so.

I have always found Thomson ships to be spotlessly clean. We choose them for their itineraries, flights from local airports (i.e. Scotland), friendly staff, excellent entertainment. I personally have never had any complaints about the food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on Majesty last year, approximately six months ago, no complaints about the food in the main dining room.

Unaware of issues with the self service buffet either.

However, I'm easy to please in the scoff department, others less so.

We choose itinerary every time, and Thomson have some of the best i.e. the one you are looking at.

No glitz and glamour, older ships, but clean and comfortable.

Also I think there is a great atmosphere on board. Everyone from staff to passengers are always very friendly.

Have cruised many times and with several cruise lines. True the current Thomson ships are not as glamourous as many others, but they more than make that up with great itineries, very good entertainment and a fantastic friendly crew. No ship is perfect but we always have a happy relaxing cruise when we are with Thomsons. Take no notice of people who laugh about Thomsons IMO they stand high in service and value. Have a wonderful cruise.

I agree with all the above comments. We have cruised with RCI, Celebrity P &O and always return to Thomson, the atmosphere on board is..well, just friendlier than the others. The entertainment is better, the food is good ( but not as good as Celebrity) and contrary to what anyone says the ships are VERY clean. The itineries are good and you usually have fewer sea days.....enough said!

Belated thanks Happy V and Linda for the good wishes - we had another enjoyable cruise.

Weather was poor the last two days, otherwise no complaints other than a drama with shuttle bus goof up in Marseilles - see FAO Kruzseeka for gist.

Belated thanks Happy V and Linda for the good wishes - we had another enjoyable cruise.

Weather was poor the last two days, otherwise no complaints other than a drama with shuttle bus goof up in Marseilles - see FAO Kruzseeka for gist.

Welcome home WCM. I hear the weather up your way is better than we are having down here :rolleyes:

Our only other cruise line experience is Princess, and they are very good.

However, we've been on more Thomsons cruises, we like the excellent entertainment, relatively uncommon ports of call - and decent food.

The repositioning cruises are usually good itineraries in my opinion.

Your TA has clearly never been on a Thomsons cruise, either that, or she is a member of the Hyacinth Bucket mindset brigade.

We are away tomorrow morning early doors on Majesty - looking forward to an 8th (if my arithmetic is sound) cruise with Thomsons.

The best way (obviously) to find out if you like Thomsons, or not, is to book a cruise and try it out.

Hi Weecountyman

We are the couple who had dinner with you the first night, with Martin and sharon. Lovely to of met you.

Hi people,

we are very experienced cruisers but have never been on Thomson before. The Croatian/Adriatic voyages look wonderful. Our cruise agent laughed when I suggested it - sorry not me, her.

There are many reasons for choosing a cruise and I love to go to new places. The big ships do same old, same old in the Med.

Thanks hope you don't mind me asking, just curious and the holiday I'm looking at looks amazing.

thanks Teresa

We sailed on Majesty at Easter. I live just outside Bristol and my daughter and family are in Dublin so this cruise around the Canaries was really our only option which enabled us to fly from Bristol to Tenerife (rather than having to trail up to Gatwick, Heathrow or Birmingham). I have sailed extensively with Princess, RCI, NCL, MSC and with Thomson (many years ago when I first started cruising)

Yes, the ship is one of the older ones in the fleet but it is kept spotlessly clean. There are no imposing atrium features and no waterslides, climbing walls and the like but the lack of these did not bother us.

The entertainment on board was perhaps the best I have seen. The food was excellent in whichever restaurant/buffet we chose.

I have written a review of the cruise which can be found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=530384

Have you considered visiting the UAE. Thomson are sailing out of Dubai soon - the cruises from Dubai around the Emirates are fantastic. Have done three (MSC twice and once with RCI) and will be doing another from Dubai in December. My son and family are based out there and we plan to visit some new places on the itinerary and re-visit some of our favourites again

Thomson are good value for money and I am sure you will not be disappointed. One point though - the drinks packages are expensive so if you can get this included free in your booking it would be great. We opted to pay for our drinks as we went as we are not big drinkers but the wine package was good value for our needs.

Good Luck with your plans

Suzanne