Adventure B2B Trip & Ultimate Beach Review 4/16/16 - 4/30/16 (photo bomb)!!!

We went to Giovanni's Table for dinner.

Amaorne_zpsoehidn7i.png

I couldn't resist a nice Amarone they had on the wine list. It wasn't exactly covered by the package, but a great bottle of wine is hard to turn down.

Appetizers_zpsl9czmgvg.png

At Giovanni's, they serve the appetizers "family style". We ordered the Carpaccio, which was amazing and the Proscuitto-wrapped Mozzarella Crostini (or whatever it is called on the menu). Both were delicious. The carpaccio was so thin, you could see through the slices of meat, just as it should be. The crostini were a delicious blend of creamy mozzarella, salty proscuitto, and a tangy sauce. I thought they cut the bread a little thick as it made it a little hard to eat. Both came with a cleansing simple arugula salad, dressed with oil and vinegar.

Osso%20Bucco_zpsybstjwf3.png

For my main, I ordered the Osso Bucco. I did not need a knife. The veal fell off the bone (with marrow - Bonus!) onto my fork. The veal gravy/reduction intensified the flavors. I was especially surprised that the green bean were a bit snappy. At many restaurants, especially those that are serving large groups of people, the vegetables tend to suffer. They take very little time to cook and it is easier to mostly cook them in advance, which often leads to over cooked veggies. Not at Giovanni's.

Spinach%20Crepes_zpshvzy8iie.png

SolsticeAZ did the Spinach Crepes in Bolognese, which were fantastic. They finished the dish with a bit of lemon zest that brightened up the dish. Both the pasta and the Osso Bucco were very rich and heavy (typical for Italian food). The waiters tried to offer up two appetizers, two mains, and two pastas on the side. I'd have to bring six staving people to each that much food.

Tiramisu_zpsxkaovjxu.png

For dessert, I had the Tiramisu (recall that I'm a Tiramisu snob) and a Chocolate Canoli. Well, the Tiramisu was properly made, soaked lady fingers and all, and was outstanding. Likewise, the Canoli was not traditional, but fantastic. Nicely light but still with plenty of chocolate flavor.

Towel%20Turtle_zpsxoteqj8w.png

Back at the cabin, a turtle got loose on the bed.

Espresso%20Martini_zpsk2emafv7.png

Late night, we were treated to another special cocktail that is not on the menu at the Champagne Bar - an espresso martini. If you like coffee and martinis, this is your drink. But good luck getting one. They had to go to Cafe Promenade to get the coffee.

Bourbon%20Drink_zpspxplyobd.png

Near closing, the bartender from the Island Grill Bar was back and made me a bourbon drink (with no name). Delicious. Keep in mind this guy was technically off-duty and working at a bar he was not familiar with. Talk about going the extra mile for the customer.

After another hilarious game of Cards Against Humanity we called it a night.

The beach competition is really heating up. Ok, that was bad, even for me.

1. Magen's Bay, St. Thomas

2. Dawn Beach, St. Maarten

3. Reduit Beach, St. Lucia

4. South Friar's Beaxh, St. Kitts

5. Grand Anse Beach, Grenada

6. Rainbow Beach, St. Croix

7. Cane Bay, St. Croix

8. Valley Church Beach, Antigua (rain)

Roseau, Dominica (Day 12/5):

15°17'47" N 61°23'16" W

Wednesday_zps0vtvtgwr.png

Dominica%201_zpsgzmyi1mc.png

Dominica%202_zps2csss4sj.png

Dominica%203_zpsjznytt09.png

It was a gorgeous day in Dominica (pronounced Doe-min-ee-qua). It was also scorching hot and humid as could be. We went to get a cab for Soufriere Bay and discovered that it was $20 per person each way. No beach is worth that much, so we changed plans and walked around town a bit.

Church%201_zpswscdpea7.png

Church%202_zps4ovveiup.png

Church%203_zpscy8p0ii5.png

There was a church being refurbished.

Dominica%20Street_zpsnpw5t0o4.png

Adventure_zpsrmmrskbx.png

Adventure in port. This is a panoramic shot, so any distortion is due to that.

Kubuli_zpsdihraqxy.png

The local beer really hit the spot after walking around in the heat.

Once we had sweated enough to completely soak our clothes, we got back on board.

Lunch and dinner are coming up next...

Smokehouse%20Double_zps3r6i6mv7.png

I did the Smoke House Double, which is a serious burger. It was delicious and came with all the great toppings IMO - bacon, onion rings, smokey BBQ sauce. But, oooof! That is one huge burger.

Parting%20Shot_zps6okv1zl5.png

A parting shot of Dominica.

Sunset_zpsuesg0dfo.png

Later that afternoon, I caught a shot of the sunset off the aft of the ship.

Bombay%20Martini_zpsivqyoyf1.png

Pre-dinner, I had my old stand-by, the Bombay Sapphire Martini.

Resa%20amp%20Adrian_zps6kyrdvat.png

I caught a rare shot of our Champagne Bar bartenders working. Just kidding. These guys busted their butts. Resa is on the left, Adrian on the right. They are responsible for (nearly) all the tasty drinks I had on the ship.

R-Rita_zpsj6ju22ji.png

The recommended daily drink at the bar was the R-Rita. Nice, but it really needed another shot of Don Julio, which they were happy to provide.

Peachy%20Peach_zps7bmojenx.png

SolsticeAZ did a Peachy Peach, a nicely fruity drink that was very popular, especially with the ladies. Gentlemen, take note.

Spinach%20Dip_zpsqvbnhcl0.png

At dinner, I started with the Spinch and Aritchoke Dip, which was very good. It was a nice blend of cheeses, spinach, and a few chunks of artichoke.

Chicken%20Caesar%20Salad_zpsqlyczoyl.png

I moved onto the Chicken Caesar Salad, which was nicely light. I was still feeling the burger from lunch and didn't want anything heavy. I liked that they left the romaine whole.

Lava%20Cake_zpsoh6mf8mp.png

I couldn't resist the Molten Chocolate Cake for dessert. It was was delicious, but a touch over cooked - the center was not that soft. Still, it was a winning dessert.

We went to Quest again, and while it was still very entertaining, it was not as crazy as the week before. Audience participation really makes that show. So, it you go, be prepared to get involved and leave your inhibitions at the door.

Espresso%20Martini_zpsfeicwr4m.png

Late-night, they guys at the Champagne Bar tried another Espresso Martini, this time with caramel. It was a touch sweet, as he added simple syrup. We were promised another attempt the next night. I'll let you know how that turned out.

The beach competition is almost done. Will Magen's Bay hold out at #1?

1. Magen's Bay, St. Thomas

2. Dawn Beach, St. Maarten

3. Reduit Beach, St. Lucia

4. South Friar's Beaxh, St. Kitts

5. Grand Anse Beach, Grenada

6. Rainbow Beach, St. Croix

7. Cane Bay, St. Croix

8. Valley Church Beach, Antigua (rain)

9. Soufriere Bay, Dominica

We still have one more island. So stick around...

Bridgetown, Barbados (Day 13/6):

13°5'46" N 59°37'10" W

Thursday_zpslxz95j1e.png

Barbados%201_zpsj87wyx9w.png

Barbados%202_zpsjwazdfwm.png

Barbados%203_zpswyjlieat.png

It was another fantastic day in Barbados. It was also a national holiday. So, everything was closed downtown and many of the streets were blocked off, probably for parades or gatherings. I felt bad for Tri, our cabin attendant who we ran into in port. He was hoping to do some shopping and it was his first time ashore in Barbados.

Drills%201_zpsotaykxqy.png

Drills%202_zpszywqu6ta.png

The crew were doing drills out by the pool in the morning.

Our destination was Browne's Beach, which I think is part of a larger stretch of beach. Either that or sections of Browne's Beach have other names. The taxi was $5 per person, each way. Two loungers with an umbrella was $15. When I told the taxi dispatcher where we wanted to go, all she said was "good choice".

Browne's Beach:

13°5'38" N 59°36'51" W

Brownes%20Beach%201_zpsv8txzmqd.png

Brownes%20Beach%202_zpscieoakal.png

Brownes%20Beach%203_zpsqavvypgw.png

Brownes%20Beach%204_zps4yzz9wob.png

Brownes%20Beach%205_zps4y7y7vmq.png

Brownes%20Beach%206_zpshsvwpmld.png

Browne's Beach was simply amazing. The sand was perfect and super fine. The water was crystal clear and reminded me of the beaches of the Bahamas. There was no seaweed, no coral, no rocks, just perfect beach in every direction. There were plenty of water sports and boat trips to see the sea turtles and snorkel over the two shipwrecks ($25 per person). That very morning they had sunk another boat to create a third artificial reef.

Banks%20Beer_zpskawxzhkj.png

Naturally, a bucket of local beers was in order. It wasn't as good as Caribe, but still very good.

Brownes%20Beach%20Facilities_zpsob4eh0il.png

There were great facilities, including food, a bar, changing rooms, bathrooms, you name it.

Lunch_zpswdjfev5u.png

I was a bit disappointed when they ran out of the special - Curry Chicken Roti, so I went with the Jerk Chicken Sandwich. It was delicious and nicely spicy. Of course, I dumped some spicy Caribbean sauce on it, just to kick it up another notch. Yea, that's a rum punch in the background.

R%20Bar%20Menu%201_zpsgdsuen4j.png

R%20Bar%20Menu%202_zpsxdyyqlpu.png

The Champagne Bar menu (actually the R-Bar menu). They also have a Wine menu and a Champagne menu, both have by the bottle and by the glass.

Something%20Fruity_zpsqzqejmpk.png

Back on board, it was time for "something fruity".

Veuve%20Cliquot_zpsplvuaaak.png

Since it was the final formal night of our vacation, we decided to do a pre-dinner bottle of Veuve Cliquot, one of my favorites. It has that "bready" mouth feel and yet just a hint of fruit.

Mushrooms_zps0gdi7vbk.png

At dinner, I started with the Wild Mushrooms. It was tasty, but last I checked button mushrooms are hardly wild. I would have liked to have seen something a little more exotic.

If you've been reading, you already know I'm not a lobster guy and it was "lobster night" (everyone freak out!!). I couldn't possibly do a comprehensive review without at least trying the lobster, like when I was a kid - "Just try it."

Lobster_zpspenatoai.png

I hate to say it, but they over cooked the lobster. It was fairly tough and was starting to get that bitter, over-cooked lobster flavor. I can't really fault the chefs. If you cook the lobster perfectly and let it sit for even 5 minutes, it will continue to cook and end up over-cooked. The only way to prevent this would be to cook them to order, which isn't going to happen when feeding 1,000+ people in one sitting. Earlier in the week, one of our table-mates ordered the full lobster ($25 charge) and said it was much better than what was served on "lobster night."

Towel%20Heart_zpszit7jvby.png

Back at the room, our cabin attendant must have thought that love was in the air. And so the end of another great day aboard the lovely Adventure of the Seas.

Chocolate%20Martini_zpscqinlbb0.png

One of the bartenders got creative with SolsticeAZ's chocolate martini and wrote her name on the top. Everyone say "Awwwww".

Ladies and gentlemen. Boys and girls. Cruisers of all ages and status (statuses? statai?). We have a winner!!! The results of the beach competition are: (drum roll....)

1. Browne's Beach, Barbados

2. Magen's Bay, St. Thomas

3. Dawn Beach, St. Maarten

4. Reduit Beach, St. Lucia

5. South Friar's Beaxh, St. Kitts

6. Grand Anse Beach, Grenada

7. Rainbow Beach, St. Croix

8. Cane Bay, St. Croix

9. Valley Church Beach, Antigua (rain)

10. Soufriere Bay, Dominica

We're not done yet. There is another sea day to go...

Brownes%20Beach%20Facilities_zpsob4eh0il.png

This is a place called Harbor Lights. It is a beach club by day, and a night club after dark. It is a little less chaotic than the Boatyard which is down the beach towards the ships. I went to Harbor Lights in February. I plan on going again in July. You are right. It is a fantastic beach with all the amenities. The staff make sure that the patrons are not harassed by vendors. They take good care of their customers.

Thanks so much for your review! I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I know that it has been a lot of work. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Edited by khm1

Ladies and gentlemen. Boys and girls. Cruisers of all ages and status (statuses? statai?). We have a winner!!! The results of the beach competition are: (drum roll....)

1. Browne's Beach, Barbados

2. Magen's Bay, St. Thomas

3. Dawn Beach, St. Maarten

4. Reduit Beach, St. Lucia

5. South Friar's Beaxh, St. Kitts

6. Grand Anse Beach, Grenada

7. Rainbow Beach, St. Croix

8. Cane Bay, St. Croix

9. Valley Church Beach, Antigua (rain)

10. Soufriere Bay, Dominica

We're not done yet. There is another sea day to go...

I have to agree with your beach choice 100%. We were at the Boatyard which is a few beaches down but all on the same Carslile Bay. The sand was so soft and the water perfect. We were there early and watched them sink the boat that will become part of the new reef. With the exception of the sunburn that I got by spending way too much time out by the turtles (no need to pay for the trip, if you have your own gear, just swim out there) it was a perfect beach.

We were at the Boatyard a few weeks before your cruise, as a previous poster said it's on the same stretch of beach. We totally agree with you all that was the best beach even better than Orient Beach in St. Maarten which we were at a few days earlier. You did make a great choice as the cabbie said.

This is a place called Harbor Lights. It is a beach club by day, and a night club after dark. It is a little less chaotic than the Boatyard which is down the beach towards the ships. I went to Harbor Lights in February. I plan on going again in July. You are right. It is a fantastic beach with all the amenities. The staff make sure that the patrons are not harassed by vendors. They take good care of their customers.

Thanks so much for your review! I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I know that it has been a lot of work. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the added info! I didn't catch the name of the place, but it was pretty obvious it was a night club too. I had to chuckle at the sign that said "We will play any kind of music except Dub Step."

You are most welcome for the review!! :) And thank you for your appreciation!! :D

I have to agree with your beach choice 100%. We were at the Boatyard which is a few beaches down but all on the same Carslile Bay. The sand was so soft and the water perfect. We were there early and watched them sink the boat that will become part of the new reef. With the exception of the sunburn that I got by spending way too much time out by the turtles (no need to pay for the trip, if you have your own gear, just swim out there) it was a perfect beach.

To be honest, after that many beaches over such a long period of time, I was having trouble making fair evaluations. Then I stepped out onto this beach and it was no contest.

Good to know about the turtles. The ship had an excursion to see them, but I don't know the cost. I'm guessing it was more than $25. Nice to know that with gear, you can just go. :D

We were at the Boatyard a few weeks before your cruise, as a previous poster said it's on the same stretch of beach. We totally agree with you all that was the best beach even better than Orient Beach in St. Maarten which we were at a few days earlier. You did make a great choice as the cabbie said.

Yep. Browne's or Boatyard, it is the same stretch of awesome beach and is the best I've been to.

For those of you who haven't been, take note. Go to Barbados and go to one of the beaches on Carslile Bay. :cool:

Thanks so much for your pics of Barbados! My mouth is watering: we're going there for a week in February (instead of a cruise) and now I'm feeling too like I made a good choice!

You are most welcome!! :)

It is certainly one the few islands that I'd consider going to for a week. I think you made an awesome choice!! :D

For those interested, the islands I'd consider going to for a week are (in no particular order): Barbados, St. Maarten, and St. Kitts.

At Sea (Day 14/7):

Friday_zpss6eqlcyc.png

Finally, another sea day. To be completely honest, we were entirely exhausted at this point. It was also "packing" day, which isn't exactly the most fun.

Breakfast_zpsccxkfwaf.png

We did breakfast in the Windjammer. Most days, they have a tray of over easy eggs out as an alternative to waiting in the endless omelet line. But that morning they had ham and cheese omelets in a tray. Not as good as made to order, but at least you get to eat them in the foreseeable future instead of wondering if the line for omelets has become the line for Guest Services.

Conference%20Center_zpshelsng9s.png

The Conference Center.

Duck%20amp%20Dog_zpsfo6wypru.png

The Duck & Dog. They don't look very happy to see each other. Is Royal suggesting that this is a fighting pub??

I wandered the ship some more and ended up at Dan Dan's Black Forest cake decorating contest, which is hilarious because he and Renato, his assistant built the most ridiculous cake. At one point, they just up ended the bottle of cherry schnapps into the cake. Safety Warning: No smoking or open flame when viewing pictures of the cake.

Cake%201_zpsafwlgfwt.png

It started out so nice...

Cake%202_zpszpwwnlw6.png

Then came too much whipped cream...

Cake%203_zpspbnlg6qn.png

Yea, holding it will fix all the wrong you've done...

Cake%204_zpsh5tkxmac.png

You don't want the cake to be dry, do you???

Cake%205_zps7lqj7bw0.png

More whipped cream!! More whipped cream!!!

Cake%206_zpsl7ussifn.png

Do not try this at home, at work, or anywhere else! However, it was quite hilarious to watch.

Towel%20Swans_zpspvkthwmk.png

Back at the cabin, our attendant showed his appreciation with towel swans and a little note.

Guest%20Services_zpsxtvujyxd.png

Ugh, look at that line. What are they waiting for? Omelets?

BLT%20Marys_zpsu7nadjci.png

I had to get another BLT Mary. This is how I'm making all my bloody Mary's at home from now on.

Fruity%20Spritzer_zpsznd5xnwh.png

Later, I asked for a "fruity spritzer". It was a little bit mango, a little bit fizzy, and very refreshing.

Cosmopolitan_zpswol1jdfr.png

I followed that up with a Cosmopolitan, which was excellent.

We did some packing. Three things you never want to let people see you do: make sausage, make laws, and pack luggage.

Cucumber%20Martini_zps4rm9bkvw.png

Pre-dinner, I tried the Cucumber Martini, which was nicely fresh tasting. The addition of muddled cucumber that is double-strained out infused the entire drink with freshness.

Aviation_zpsocd2otkt.png

I took an Aviation with me to dinner. Let's just say it is "different" and purple.

Scallops_zps8afj0lfb.png

At dinner, I started with the Bay Scallops. I love scallops. These were just OK. The scallops themselves were a touch rubbery. They were served on a cauliflower purée that was quite good. Overall, it was a fair dish.

Caesar%20Salad_zps0t8bjtoe.png

Expecting the scallops to disappoint (this isn't my first cruise with Royal), I had the Caesar Salad as a back up.

Sliders_zpsv8gwuudw.png

For my main, I did the Beef Sliders. They were pretty good. They weren't "fresh off the grill" hot, but small burgers cool fast. Overall, nothing spectacular, but worth ordering if mini-burgers are your thing.

Last%20Drink%201_zpsahapjpw2.png

As my "final drink", I asked for "something with tequila" and got this. It is hard to tell from the picture, but it is grey-green on top and blue on the bottom. Despite its appearance, it was quite good.

Last%20Drink%202_zpszo4cj7lg.png

My final "final drink" was a mix of lemoncello and Patron XO special dark. A fitting final drink, and it was delicious.

We said our goodbyes and headed to bed.

And so ends the beach tour of the Southern Caribbean aboard the Adventure of the Seas. I hope you've all enjoyed it.

My sincere thanks to all of you who participated by responding and to those who participated by just reading (I see the 30,000+ view count).

Do sack dance.

Peace Out.

Drop Mic.

Wait for cash donations... :eek: