We are looking to book this week for Feb as an alternative to the Caribbean, never been but like the sun that time of year and just love the Celebration & the787!!

You will enjoy Dubai - my son and family are based there and I have visited several times. Have done three cruises from there and will be going on MSC Fantasia on 17th Dec - cannot wait to seek out more interesting places and re-visit some favourites.

If you want to get some ideas then look at the reviews I have submitted

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=217006

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=253499

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=273028

I would advise spending some time pre/post cruise in Dubai (assuming you will be sailing from there) Will you be flying Emirates - if so you will be well looked after. I am lucky in that my son works for Emirates so I get to fly Business Class on staff family rates from Heathrow!!

I hope all you plans go well.

Suzanne

Thank you suron three nice reviews. Not Emirates but that must be very useful we would be with Thomson but would fly premium which, unfortunately, we have to pay for. Thanks again.

Glad you enjoyed the reviews. Hope you will post your review on your return. If Thomson are going to be sailing out of Dubai on a regular basis in future then this gives me more choices (as you saw from the reviews I used MSC and RCI for my cruises from Dubai).

Hope you will be able to join/set up a roll call for your sailing. There was very little interest for the Thomson Majesty cruise we did at Easter but possibly there may be more interest for the Dubai sailings which might even attract some of the American market.

Have a great time with your plans and the cruise.

Suzanne

We did the 7 night Royal Caribbean cruise from Dubai in Feb this year and can highly recommend taking a cruise to get a feel for this part of the world (wasn't massively impressed with RCI though, but this really was a cruise about the destinations). Oman is absolutely stunning and people were so welcoming, somewhere I'd very much like to go back to and explore further. Abu Dhabi was also extremely interesting, Sheikh Zayed Mosque just has to be seen to be believed. It was also my first time in Dubai and would suggest to any other first time visitors to have a few extra days pre or post cruise here as there was a lot to see and very easy to get about jumping on and off the metro.

Hard to say on transfer time from DWC to the port, found traffic to be hit or miss in Dubai. But if doing a cruise only and arranging own flights, then much better going into DXB as much nearer the port (huge choice on flights from UK with direct flights available with: BA, Virgin, Emirates, Qantas & Royal Brunei.) To alleviate the op's concerns, flights generally go across Europe, Northern Turkey and then turn South-East across Iran towards the Gulf.

We did the 7 night Royal Caribbean cruise from Dubai in Feb this year and can highly recommend taking a cruise to get a feel for this part of the world (wasn't massively impressed with RCI though, but this really was a cruise about the destinations). Oman is absolutely stunning and people were so welcoming, somewhere I'd very much like to go back to and explore further. Abu Dhabi was also extremely interesting, Sheikh Zayed Mosque just has to be seen to be believed. It was also my first time in Dubai and would suggest to any other first time visitors to have a few extra days pre or post cruise here as there was a lot to see and very easy to get about jumping on and off the metro.

Hard to say on transfer time from DWC to the port, found traffic to be hit or miss in Dubai. But if doing a cruise only and arranging own flights, then much better going into DXB as much nearer the port (huge choice on flights from UK with direct flights available with: BA, Virgin, Emirates, Qantas & Royal Brunei.) To alleviate the op's concerns, flights generally go across Europe, Northern Turkey and then turn South-East across Iran towards the Gulf.

Glad to know you enjoyed your cruise around the Emirates. I sailed RCI Serenade of the Seas in 2013 which was fine but I have since done two other cruises from Dubai with MSC (Lirica and Orchestra). There are still so many places to see in UAE and places I want to re-visit so my son, his wife and the twin grandsons and I are booked for MSC Fantasia on 17th Dec. Am lucky in that son and family are based in Dubai and this is obviously a favourite holiday destination for me. Nice to know that Thomson will be using Dubai for some of their future sailings. Would be interested to read reviews as it is always nice to have several cruise lines to choose from.

I am sure those on this roll call will have a great time. If you plan to visit the Burj Khalifa so book in advance direct as popular time slots get taken very quickly and it is cheaper to book in advance. Agree that the mosque in Abu Dhabi should not be missed and the Emirates Palace Hotel is stunning (I treated myself to Afternoon Tea there - booked direct with the hotel and a lot cheaper than the ship's tour and not rushed!) Also agree that you need time either pre/post cruise in Dubai in order to get to see the many wonderful sights there

Good Luck with your plans

Edited by suron
additional information