Horseback riding from Skagway vs. train ride

shipl0ver

The following tour is 6 hrs. (2hrs. with horses)

Traveling from Skagway to the Yukon, you will see...

1) The beautiful Skagway River Valley, White Pass Summit area, Tormented Valley, and the crystal clear watershed of the Yukon River.

2) The majestic lakes and mountains of northwestern British Columbia and southwestern Yukon Territory.

3) The world's smallest desert, which lies just north of Carcross in the Yukon.

4) The spectacular colors of Emerald Lake

Has anyone taken this tour? Pros & Cons? Can you compare the scenery to the train?

I was thinking about taking this tour vs. the train ride. I would prefer to be outdoors and with a younger crowd. The tour is also small only 12 people.

Great thread! I tried the link in the above post, and it didn't work, so for grins I tried www.yukonhorses.com and it came up. Just remember to use the plural form of 'horse'.

After reading this and the yukon horses website, we've decided to forego the train in favor of taking a trail ride .... and have also inquired about fishing on the excursion. Anyone done that variant?

Happy Trails,

We did the Deluxe Yukon Sightseeing with Southeast tours. We did a lot of what the horsebackriding excursion entails, but we didn't go horsebackriding, but we were on the same bus as the group that did go horsebackriding. And our parents did the train ride.

We loved our tour, and Emerald Lake and Torment Valley are definitely sights to see! Highlights of our trip. The people that did the horsebackriding raved all the way back to the ship about their riding experience.

It is about 1.5 hours before you get to the Ranch and about 2.5 hours after.

Well worth it.

My inlaws thought the train ride was nice, but they didn't get many pictures as the train doesn't stop. The scenery was nice for them too, but no Emerald Lake or Torment Valley.

joni charges $120 per person for a 2 hour ride. avis is approximately $75 - $80 for a 1 day rental. i prefer to rent and drive myself as opposed to going with southeast tours so that you can stop off where and when you want. you can take as much time at the carcross desert, caribou crossing, emerald lake.

Archived