Transport Venice to Lake Garda

Yertiz1883

Can anyone please offer any advice on travelling from Venice to Garda, on Lake Garda, post cruise June 2017. We have briefly considered a train, but with 2 large suitcases and 2 carry on bags wonder if this mode of transport is totally suitable.

Have looked at car hire, but unable to find a one way hire, and in any case we would need a large size vehicle for our baggage.

This seems to leave a taxi as the only workable alternative? at a cost of around €200?

Any advice or guidance whatsoever would be appreciated.

Public transit options are not good. There's no train to Garda so you'd have to take a train followed by a bus. There are also no direct buses from Venice, you'd need to change buses along the way.

You could do a rental but, depending on the day of the week you want to return, you may have to keep the car an extra day or two because the rental office locally (in Bardolino, about two miles south of Garda) isn't open on Saturday afternoons or Sundays.

However, a two day rental may turn out to be cheaper than the transfer.

By the way, Garda has a pretty good English language tourism web site, if you haven't already come across it: http://www.visitgarda.com/en/garda_lake/

Edited by euro cruiser

I've done it the other way round. Stuck in Malcesine on Lake Garda & flight from Venice was too early for public transport. I used Avis & was able to drop car back in Venice. Fairly certain it was possible the other way round.

There's a whole extra story about the amazing hotelier who paid for my car hire when my card wouldn't work, but that's another story.. Enjoy the lake. Some of my best memories were made there

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The easiest solution, but also the most expensive, would be a car service door-to-door.

You can cut the expense down by taking a train to Peschiera Del Garda (there are Frecce trains that get you there in an hour and a quarter) and having a car service pick you up there. From there to Garda is only about ten miles. (For perspective, from the cruise port to Garda is just under 100 miles.)

Edited by euro cruiser