Gluten Free on the Gem

Aimeef12

Hey everyone just wondering if anyone who has sailed on the Gem had experience with Gluten Free menus or options. I know they will accommodate this in the Dining room but what about other places?

Any specialty dining have Gluten Free options on the menu?

Experience with choices or options?

Was the it good?

Any information or feedback is much appreciated!

Here is NCL's website info "If you have any food allergy or a dietary requirement that requires Kosher meals or gluten-free food product, please advise a Norwegian Reservations Agent, or your Travel Agent at the time of booking. Obtaining the product for many of these requests requires 30-days notice prior to sailing, and we want to ensure that we are able to fulfill your request. We cannot guarantee Kosher Meal requests made within 30 days of sail date. For the protection of all of our guests, it is not permissible to bring aboard any food items that would require preparation by the ship’s staff, or food items that would require cold storage in our kitchen facilities." I will go further to say, contact the help desk at NCL at the same time too just to ensure that you will have a successful and enjoyable experience. "In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call (866) 787-3935 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email to accessdesk@ncl."

Giving NCL the proper notice will ensure a much wider variety of foods available to you. Also, on the first night, ask to speak with the head or assistant head maitre de in the main dining room and explain your allergy. They will might ask you to order your dinner the night before so they can make sure that is something they can prepare GF. At the buffet, if you speak to the staff there they usually can get you GF toast and such. Hope this helps. I travel with my friend who has Celiac Disease so I learned the ins and outs real fast.

Thank you ... I spoke to them and they are aware and said they will accommodate. Was trying to get a better idea of what where and when from someone who has experienced it. Thank you for you help

I was on the Sun last summer and my grandma is allergic to gluten. In the main dining room it works best to order in advance, or they take forever or can't do it. In the specialties the waitstaff is very knowledgeable and attentive and will help you find something great and gluten free. Moderno is a good choice because most things there are gluten free and they have an amazing gluten free bread that is so good that everyone gets it!

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask me if you have any particular questions!

I eat both gluten and dairy free. While I've never been on the Gem (we have it booked for June) I have had experience with Sky and Jade. In both cases we ate at speciality and complimentary dinning and never had a problem. I always ordered my meals the day before of of the regular menu and they were very upfront with what they could and couldn't make for me.

Some of the things I ordered included:

Speciality Italian restaurant on Sky

e7ac87091d17a9ea859ad9627ecab838.jpg

Steak at Cagneys

464f63c6eae40d6d6af41ec106cb5148.jpg

Sushi at a Cabana at GSC

b283fa632c9ada5512aae80006c13350.jpg

Even dessert!!! Warm peaches with lemon sorbet.

ca62327f6140bfbe739d58e55b7b6577.jpg

Have a wonderful time!!

We are on the Gem in August and our daughter was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease just 3 weeks ago. We have always known a whole bunch of people whose kids are "gluten sensitive" so hadn't realised that full blown Coeliac Disease is so serious (our daughter ended up in emergency and being admitted to hospital for 2 days because she was so ill...).

Anyway, I called and spoke to the reservations dept the other day and asked them to mark down the new diagnosis and the need for gluten free food. The agent put a note on the file and forwarded an email separately to the special requirements department as well. We were told that we also need to see the catering director soon after boarding to confirm the requirement.

I'm hoping it all goes smoothly...

We are on the Gem in August and our daughter was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease just 3 weeks ago. We have always known a whole bunch of people whose kids are "gluten sensitive" so hadn't realised that full blown Coeliac Disease is so serious (our daughter ended up in emergency and being admitted to hospital for 2 days because she was so ill...).

Anyway, I called and spoke to the reservations dept the other day and asked them to mark down the new diagnosis and the need for gluten free food. The agent put a note on the file and forwarded an email separately to the special requirements department as well. We were told that we also need to see the catering director soon after boarding to confirm the requirement.

I'm hoping it all goes smoothly...

I have done the same and will be doing the same on the ship. I am confident that it will go well, thanks to prior cruisers with similar needs. I will keep you posted as to our experience when I return. I am traveling with my 18 year old cousin who has Celiac Disease, and is newly diagnosed (within the last year). I was extremely concerned and worried since I don't know as much about what she can and can not have as her parents would, and they have entrusted her to me hahaha!! She is pretty much aware of what is good or bad but I just get concerned that I wont know if she is right or wrong lol

I was on the Sky and had some mixed results. They were generally accommodating. The main dining rooms were fine and there were choices and even a couple desserts.

In the buffet, they would get me gf bread - but some days it took a long time to get it, and then it was cold because it was from a fridge, but I didn't want to use the communal toaster (full of crumbs).

If you are stopping at GSC, I would recommend you talk to someone ahead of time - the buffet there was hard to find something to eat and the staff on the island didn't know much/were too busy. But if I'd spoken to them in advance, it probably would have been better.

I was on the Sky and had some mixed results. They were generally accommodating. The main dining rooms were fine and there were choices and even a couple desserts.

In the buffet, they would get me gf bread - but some days it took a long time to get it, and then it was cold because it was from a fridge, but I didn't want to use the communal toaster (full of crumbs).

If you are stopping at GSC, I would recommend you talk to someone ahead of time - the buffet there was hard to find something to eat and the staff on the island didn't know much/were too busy. But if I'd spoken to them in advance, it probably would have been better.

Hey what is GSC? Is it a store on the islands?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hey what is GSC? Is it a store on the islands?

Thanks

Sorry, it's short for Great Stirrup Cay - Norwegian's private island. I don't know where Gem sails or if it stops there. On that day, there is an included BBQ buffet lunch - but other than salad (the curse of the gluten-free), there wasn't anything to eat because the staff either didn't know or were too busy to confirm ingredients.

Who should I talk to about GSC? Dining manager ?

Yes, I know when I arrived in my cabin, there was a letter for me with the name and phone number of who I could contact. I would speak to them.

Also, see this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2332509&highlight=sky

If you look at post #4, you will see the MommaBear reported back from her trip and had a successful time and had more than enough food on GSC. So really, it was my fault for not realizing I should talk to someone!

Thanks everyone I called the special needs desk to just to confirm everything. It is added to her profile when I get on the ship I have to see the restaurant manager and they will take care of everything. I feel confident with all of your input, feedback, and referrals that she will be well fed and fine lol We are Italian and one thing we love to do is EAT and as an older cousin I need to make sure the little one is well fed hahahaha thank you all again!!