Requesting an UberX Question.t

ccw2891

Good Morning:

I posted this question a while ago and barely got a couple of general responses. Just checking again to see if anyone else has had some personal experiences with requesting an UberX. We are traveling from LAX airport to the Port of Long Beach.

I have never used Uber, but heard good things. My question is when requesting, can I order an UberX for my family of 4 (2 adults,2 children 10&12yrs old) with 2 suitcases and small carryons each. Has anyone done this with a similar amount of people and baggage? Have you ever been turned away to order different car?

I just don't want a golf cart sized vehicle arriving and we have to cancel and I get charged and or have to wait on another vehicle , but I don't want to pay unnecessarily for the bigger car if we can make do.

This forum is for asking questions....I did search...but I'm looking for some more specifics that I did not find.

I don't need any negative comments please...Some people get all up in arms when you ask questions that may have been asked previously. Just if you have used uberx in any city for your family of 4 with luggage just reply if it worked out for you. If you haven't or have no experience with my issue, just keep it scrolling. Thanks

It's a big gamble to assume that an UberX car will have room for 8 suitcases and 4 carry-ons in additional to the 4 passengers. If I were you I would just assume I needed an UberXL.

The UberX minimum is only a car big enough for the driver and 4 passengers, which can mean a pretty small car.

Edited by gtalum

I agree with Gtalum. It's very rare that an UberX car will be large enough to transport your family of 4 plus all luggage. Some UberX cars are small SUVs, but most are mid-size sedans. I wouldn't risk it.

Go with an XL. It really isn't that much more and is still likely less than a taxi.

I'd disagree on the amount being the same....We've used UberXL once from LAX to home and the charge was $80 compared to $42 if we had taken a cab

I love Uber but they charged a $20+ fee for "Waiting" plus the airport fee and then the regular XL driving fee

Next time I'll just take a cab

I would also go with the XL, especially if your two suitcases are on the large side, sometimes the regular sized cars with seating for four don't have a ton of truck space. I'd pay the extra few bucks for peace of mind and comfort!

Good morning! I am a frequent Uber user, and I travel often for business and pleasure. On my trip to Vegas 2 weeks ago, my friend and I used Uber for airport pickup and return. The vehicle that picked us up, a Hyundai, had a large trunk that easily accommodated our 2 suitcases and 2 backpacks. The vehicle that arrived for the ride from the hotel back the airport was a Honda. Our 2 suitcases barely fit in the back, as the driver also had a small tool box and smaller cooler in his trunk. We had to sit with our backpacks in the back seat.

I've had every size of car pick me up, from very small compact cars, to midsize SUV. I would that any Uber X vehicle I've been in would be able to accommodate 4 people, but NOT 4 people, each with their respective carry-on bags, and 2 additional suitcases. I agree with the Uber XL recommendation. I've always found Uber pricing to be less than cabs (both charge airport pickup fees) Uber only charges a "waiting" fee if they have to wait on you, thus, I only request a car once I have picked up my baggage and headed to the exit. I hope this helps.

Edited by ladiibug

Also, I'm not sure about the rules at LAX, but many cities/states prevent Uber from picking up at airports. Just something to consider and look into.

While this is true at some airports, Uber does allow pick ups/drop off at LAX now.

As far as if UberX would be sufficient size for your group, I think the above posters are right on. We usually park at nearby family's house and use uberX to get the cruise terminal. We have a short, less than 10 min drive, but with four adult passengers plus luggage we are almost always crammed in like sardines. Its a short drive for us so we don't mind, (plus we are full of pre-cruise adrenaline) but If you'd like to be comfortable, I wouldn't recommend it.

I use UberX and UberXL from LAX regularly, as recently as last Tuesday.

An X will certainly seat four people, especially since it's two kids. But even with the best case (two suitcases, four carryons of what I guess are rollaboard size), I doubt it will work with luggage. The typical UberX at LAX is a Prius. I mostly find my XLs are SUVs or larger crossovers.

It's a big gamble to assume that an UberX car will have room for 8 suitcases and 4 carry-ons in additional to the 4 passengers. If I were you I would just assume I needed an UberXL.

The UberX minimum is only a car big enough for the driver and 4 passengers, which can mean a pretty small car.

I don't think I said 8 suitcases? I get that. I was just asking because I'm not familiar with the different sizes of uber cars since I've never used them.

I was just wondering for 2 Children/ 2 adults with 2 suitcases. I have a smaller car and can make do with all of us and 2 bags with our small carry ons which are small duffle type bags not roll ons .... Just asking how strict the uber drivers are or what kind of vehicle I should expect for the uberx price range, and if anyone's been turned away at the airport. Thanks All!

Edited by ccw2891

• 2 weeks later...
I'd disagree on the amount being the same....We've used UberXL once from LAX to home and the charge was $80 compared to $42 if we had taken a cab

I love Uber but they charged a $20+ fee for "Waiting" plus the airport fee and then the regular XL driving fee

Next time I'll just take a cab

Guess it depends on the city. Cleveland doesn't have a waiting fee.

I guess I'll tack my Uber question on to this thread as long as it's active...

Two months ago, in my first experience using UberX, I tried them for transportation to LAX (home to LAX for a cruise out of FLL)...The trip there was great. Prompt pickup, friendly driver, only $38, IIRC, from my home in Calabasas to LAX. Perfect.

But, coming home was a different story. According to reports I'd read aforehand, Uber was allowed into LAX but one would have to go up to the upper level to some designated pickup point...When you ordered the Uber, they were to send a message with the info on where to meet them. Unfortunately, when we tried to arrange the Uber, we only got messages that "No UberX is available", then "No UberXL is available" and so on...We finally gave up and walked over to the SuperShuttle rep and arranged a shared shuttle for $58 plus tip ($68) and waited a half an hour for the trip home.

The other issue that concerns me is one we encountered in Florida. When we got an Uber from our Hotel in Dania to the port on embarkation day, it was quick and easy--the driver got their in 5 minutes and the cost was only $10 and change. But, upon disembarkation from the ship, we found the cost would be "Surge Pricing--3X"...about $30+...So, we grabbed a taxi for about $15...

So, next month, we are headed for LAX again for our European cruise. I am thinking that the trip to LAX should again be simple--flight leaves at 3:30 pm on a Sunday, so leaving Calabasas at around noon-1:00 pm I would imagine Surge Pricing won't be an issue. But, our flight home is on a Wednesday, arriving at LAX Bradley Terminal about 4:15 pm. After gathering our luggage and making it through customs, I'm figuring we'll be needing that Uber during the heart of LA rush hour!

So, here are the questions I have for this one:

What are people's experiences recently with Uber at LAX?

What is the likelihood I run into that "Surge Pricing" for that Wednesday rush hour trip home?

IF I go with Uber, where do they pick up at or near the Bradley Terminal?

How does that "waiting fee" apply, if at all?

My alternatives to Uber, FWIW:

Super Shuttle shared shuttle: $58 (RoadRunner is $62, PrimeTime $62.65)

Execucar Express: $79

Assuming that, with a 15% tip, Execucar comes out to $91. Assuming that UberX's pricing comes out to 1.9X Surge or more and there's an added $20 fee...or, if there's no $20 fee, but Uber is at 2.4X Surge pricing, Execucar makes more sense.

Do I gamble on Uber and maybe end up with that inconvenient shared shuttle...or fix my charges with Execucar?

On the Departures level, there's a sign with a big number on it (nothing else, to my memory) - the app will see that you're requesting from the airport and direct you there. Each terminal with roadway access has one or more out front now.

The message that none are available is an artifact of where LAWA is making TNC drivers wait and how many are allowed at a time inside the geofence. They will usually refill in under five minutes.

The waiting component is always part of an Uber fare in LA - the three components are the base fare/trip surcharges (regardless of length), distance *and* time - most cabs don't charge time once they're going a certain speed - Uber in LA and most metro areas charges for time and distance. The rate estimates available when you put in your destination before requesting pickup are generally slightly pessimistic at the low end and allow for "normal" bad traffic at the high end, but not total gridlock.

4:15 seems a little early to get surged at LAX, but with CBP you probably won't hit the drive until after 5 - even still, I would guess a 1.15-1.3 surge is more likely than a 2.1. There is a function to let you know when surge expires. Naturally, with rush hour traffic, your time component of the fare is likely to be higher.

One last thing to consider: Uber Select and Uber Black may not be surged just because X/XL are. I would always take a look at a price estimate for the "nicer" services when surge is above 1.5 - they're probably cheaper than Execucar, for example, and they're sometimes cheaper than surged X/XL.

Edited by VibeGuy

On the Departures level, there's a sign with a big number on it (nothing else, to my memory) - the app will see that you're requesting from the airport and direct you there. Each terminal with roadway access has one or more out front now.

The message that none are available is an artifact of where LAWA is making TNC drivers wait and how many are allowed at a time inside the geofence. They will usually refill in under five minutes.

The waiting component is always part of an Uber fare in LA - the three components are the base fare/trip surcharges (regardless of length), distance *and* time - most cabs don't charge time once they're going a certain speed - Uber in LA and most metro areas charges for time and distance. The rate estimates available when you put in your destination before requesting pickup are generally slightly pessimistic at the low end and allow for "normal" bad traffic at the high end, but not total gridlock.

4:15 seems a little early to get surged at LAX, but with CBP you probably won't hit the drive until after 5 - even still, I would guess a 1.15-1.3 surge is more likely than a 2.1. There is a function to let you know when surge expires. Naturally, with rush hour traffic, your time component of the fare is likely to be higher.

One last thing to consider: Uber Select and Uber Black may not be surged just because X/XL are. I would always take a look at a price estimate for the "nicer" services when surge is above 1.5 - they're probably cheaper than Execucar, for example, and they're sometimes cheaper than surged X/XL.

Having waited for the Lot C bus for 45 minutes I decided to try Uber. This was Monday, May 2 around 2:00. At first times came up so I turned to my husband and said enough waiting, let's just do Uber. Another couple agreed to share. We had 2 carryons, they had no luggage. I tried to call for them. I get the same results the Bruin Steve got.

But, coming home was a different story. According to reports I'd read aforehand, Uber was allowed into LAX but one would have to go up to the upper level to some designated pickup point...When you ordered the Uber, they were to send a message with the info on where to meet them. Unfortunately, when we tried to arrange the Uber, we only got messages that "No UberX is available", then "No UberXL is available" and so on...We finally gave up and walked over to the SuperShuttle rep and arranged a shared shuttle for $58 plus tip ($68) and waited a half an hour for the trip home.

Being inexperienced with Uber I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. So I tried it again, and again. Finally I gave up. If it was something to do with the way they work at the airport maybe they could tell us. I guess I'll never use them at LAX cos I'm just not smart enough to figure it out.

Here's my UberXL receipt from a couple of weeks ago showing non-surged pricing for a trip from T6 to San Pedro - it breaks down the mileage component, the time component and the various surcharges.

UberXL lax-San Pedro receipt

It's not just you two having issues: even before they were allowed to pick up on the airport property, I had problems getting pickups at the Rennaisance and the Avis facility with the exact same message you got. I've never had to wait longer than 15 minutes or so.

Edited by VibeGuy

Here's my UberXL receipt from a couple of weeks ago showing non-surged pricing for a trip from T6 to San Pedro - it breaks down the mileage component, the time component and the various surcharges.

UberXL lax-San Pedro receipt

It's not just you two having issues: even before they were allowed to pick up on the airport property, I had problems getting pickups at the Rennaisance and the Avis facility with the exact same message you got. I've never had to wait longer than 15 minutes or so.

Thanks. Interesting to see it laid out.

The problem with having issue for us newbies is, we don't know if they are having problems or we just don't know how to use the new fangled thing. Since I didn't want to be billed (repeatedly?) for something I didn't use I just gave up.

There's no risk of getting billed until you get the "accepted" message from the driver, and even then you have a few minutes to cancel at no fee. The app won't let you request more than one ride at once, either.

They need to do a better job with the LAX restrictions. If you move the pin just outside the airport boundaries you'll see the place is crawling with available drivers but they can't send them inside the boundary faster than a certain rate. They also can't have more than 40 waiting within a certain distance of the airport. It's completely ridiculous.

Hi all...and thanks for your replies.

We used UberX after we dropped our rental car off at the Avis rental office just after 11am. A Hyundai pick us up within 5 mins right at the door. All our luggage was able to fit easily in the trunk, 2 normal size suitcases and 4 average size duffle type carry ons. All four of us fit comfortably for the ride to long beach port from lax. Traffic was good and we arrived just before noon. Very easy and a great ride and transaction.

On the return we again requested a UberX...a nice lady picked us up in less than 3 mins right at port. This was a smaller car but all our luggage again fit with no problems. It was a great ride back to the lax Avis rental agency to pick up our car for more time in LA.

Both our Uber experiences was great! Both trips was $26 each so we paid $52 round trip where shuttle and carnival charges well over $130 round trip for the 4 of us.

Just letting everyone know our UberX experience worked out well for the 4 of us with luggage. But if you're 6'5 and have 3 or more large suitcases then you may want to go with the UberXL.