Scuba Diving

Marvel123

• 1 month later...

Yes. I have been several times. It is awesome.

Always book through the cruise company.

Because Belize is a tender port, the dive boats pick up and drop off directly at the ship. Twice on trips that I have been on, the dive company screwed up and went to the ships in the wrong order. The order should be by sailing time of the ship, but the dive boat captains went by how close the ship was. Despite being told that our ship was leaving, they went to a different ship. In one case, the dive boat had to chase the cruise ship down after it started to sail. In all cases, we went with cruise company tours so they would have had to get us home, but it was a nervous time for us.

Thanks for the information. I am hoping that we will be back in plenty of time. The tour says it lasts for 5 hours and we are leaving at 9am and we are in port till 5pm. I am hoping we are not chasing the boat!

• 2 weeks later...

What do you recommend if there are no options through the boat?

It seems the only good diving is out in Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker, both of which involve getting on a puddle jumper to get there. Not something I want to do and risk missing the boat entirely. Maybe a boat sponsored excursion will open up closer to the cruise (1/17).

We have booked all our dive trips right through NCL excursions. This way they can not leave us. Any change in ports and they will take care of all canceling, and changing our excursions. I did not think there prices where to out of line. The only one that I thought is high is Costa Maya. We are bringing our own gear, but you can rent also. We just like to have our own because we are familiar with it.

There is a water taxi to Caye Caulker right where the tender drops you off. BUT, I would not attempt to do this on your own due to time restraints. Check Coral Breeze, Sea Sports, there's also something like Eco Belize.