Dawn, Spirit, Dawn, Spirit...East, West, South? HELP!

CatskillsMom

Hello,

First of all, this is a GREAT place for info. I've been following the questions/answers for several weeks now. However, I am still undecided about which ship to try for our FIRST cruise. We would be leaving from NYC sometime in Jan/Feb '06. We're two couples (30/40ish) and a ten yr old. I'm focusing on an 11 day Jan 29 Spirit sailing to Southern Carib., but of course, in 10 minutes, I may be liking the 11 day Dawn to Western Carib! It's so hard to choose and then hope we're going to have a great trip. Anyone have a favorite NCL/NYC Itinerary and why? Is there a better 'first timers' itinerary'?

Also, we have to plan this cruise very last minute, which is extremely hard for me as I like everything planned out. Anyway, our business is seasonal and if it snows heavily here in upstate NY, we're cruising! :D BUT... if it stays dry, we're working.:( I would love to hear from people who have booked within weeks of a cruise departure. Is it possible to get a decent cabin or a better 'deal' by waiting?

One more thing, one of the cruise dates we're contemplating will be during my husband's AND my son's birthdays which are 5 days apart. Can I plan two celebrations? Does NCL do anything special for a kids birthday?

Thank you for your help. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again!

Michelle

Hello,

Is there a better 'first timers' itinerary'?

I would love to hear from people who have booked within weeks of a cruise departure. Is it possible to get a decent cabin or a better 'deal' by waiting?

One more thing, one of the cruise dates we're contemplating will be during my husband's AND my son's birthdays which are 5 days apart. Can I plan two celebrations? Does NCL do anything special for a kids birthday?

Michelle

Every cruise could be a great first timer's cruise. I only recommend taking a short cruise, one week or less for the first time.

Yes, you can get a better deal and a decent cabin on a cruise that's not sold out by waiting to the very last minute. But not always. It really depends on which cruise you choose.

Yes, you can plan to celebrations. You can buy goodies for your cabin for both dates, and can let the waiiter know it's someones birthday.......

Thank you for the speedy reply. I KNOW....it seems to be the consensus to take a short first cruise but it kills me to do that. We only have a limited amount of vacation time so a few days seems like a waste to me. I'm an 'all or nothing' kind of person!

Anyone else with opinions/help...I'm greatful for it.

It's tough being 'new'!

We went on the Carnival Legend out of NYC, and it was wonderful. This was an 8 day cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas and Tortolla. We are now scheduled on our second NCL cruise out of NYC with our 3 grown children in June. I think no matter what ship you choose try to keep a good attitude and get lots of help with these boards. Things just seem a little easier when you know what to expect. Have a GREAT time and fun planning!!

Hi Glamourgirl,

I've actually been to St.Thomas/St.John so for me that's the 'safe' way to go because I know my friends and family will love it. (What's not to love, right?) I'm under pressure having to make sure everyone has a good time. I'm the 'researcher' of the group. At least with the Eastern Itinerary, I KNOW something about the places, where as on the other itineraries, I don't know what to expect at all. Ahhh.

It's hard to please all of the people, all of the time. Like I said before, keep on doing your research and I'm sure that you will be making the right decision. The group is lucky to have you doing all of the planning. Maybe you could come up with 2-3 itineraries and let the majority win. That way if there are any problems the blame can't be put entirely on your shoulders. When we were in St.Thomas last year we went to Saphire Beach which was really nice, a $16 round trip cab ride from the pier. I did hear that the Carnival Legend has a wonderful children's program. This is only hear-say as our children are grown. But, I'm sure all of the other ships have good programs as well. GOOD LUCK!!

We booked our last cruise on the Dawn, 9/11 sailing, less than a month before leaving. We booked an AG guarantee, got an AF and then got upsold to an AC. I can't say this is the norm but I think this does work if you are cruising on the "off season". I don't think, for example, that something like that would happen in the summer when the kids are out of school.

Keep checking the availability of the ships you are interested. If you see that categories are selling out, chances are it might be tough to book at the last minute but if they are, you may well be able to.

The last four cruises we went on, I would say we booked last minute.

Usually four to six weeks before sailing. We booked 4 days in advance on our Zenith 7 day Bermuda cruise on 8/27/05. Booked on Tuesday, left on Saturday. We did not get a discounted rate for any of the cruises, but on the Zenith we moved from an inside cabin to an outside cabin. It all depends on how full the ship is.

We sailed the Dawn Dec.2004 and loved it. Next year our family is gathering in NY and sailing the Spirit for Thanksgiving 2006.

We couldn't decide whether to take the Spirit's 11 night Southern Caribbean or Dawn's 10 night Western Caribbean cruise in 2006. We ended up booking the Spirit for Thanksgiving. I hope it lives up to the expectations because we really loved the Dawn.

We sailed two Royal Caribbean cruises since our Dawn cruise last December. We really missed the freestyle dining and all the different restaurants on the Dawn. We also missed the 2 for 1 specials in the bars after 11pm on our Dawn cruise. I wonder whether they still have those deals. I loved the Dawn because we would fill our refrigerator with beer in the evening. Next day we would see people carrying their helmets of beer and wonder whether they had stocked up like we did the night before. It is funny how the little things like that really matter to cruisers.

Another thing we liked on the Dawn was the movie theater. I heard they are removing the one on the Spirit and I am not happy about it. We really like the movies on sea days from the northeast.

The Dawn had the most fantastic dance band I've ever heard. In Dec 2004, they had a band from the Phillipines that could perform American music from the 1950's to present like they were born in the USA. I've yet to hear music equivalent to that band. I really enjoy the NCL entertainment in the evenings and hope it is just as good next year.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either ship or either itinerary. I love sailing from the northeast. I do prefer the solariums on RCCL ships, but the Dawn's stadium seating at their outdoor pool in addition to the poolside BBQ makes up for the indoor pool. I wonder whether the NCL Jewel has a better indoor solarium than Dawn. Any comments?

Another thing we liked on the Dawn was the movie theater. I heard they are removing the one on the Spirit and I am not happy about it. We really like the movies on sea days from the northeast.

NCL will still have free afternoon movies, with the free popcorn in another location, usually a large lounge or the main show theatre. So don't be too disappointed.:)

I think you will have a great time on either ship and either itinerary. Since you have to wait to book til last minute, why not keep both options open and see which ship has the best last minute deal.

We booked our last two cruises maybe 4-6 weeks before the cruise and got some really great rates. But be warned that ships do sometimes sell out or certain cabin categories may be sold out. If you can stay flexible you should probably get some good deals.

Thanks everyone, every tip helps.

Originally, I was totally into the Dawn but then after reading many reviews and the posts on this site, it just seemed that the Spirit got better overall reviews. The Dawn reviews seem to be so hit and miss. Some completely LOVE it while others really dislike it. Also, I was thinking since the Spirit was just dry-docked that maybe she would be even better. (?)

We're very excited about it and we're pretty easy going people. I think we'll think ANY ship is fabulous because it will be a whole new experience for us.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Michelle

I guess the first thing you have to decide is if the ports or the ship/cruise line is the priority? Very different itineraries; western hits Mexico usually and maybe even Belize which are VERY different port experiences with Mayan ruins, mexican rodeos, perhaps cave tubing, and great dive opportunites if they hit the Cayman islands. Southern Caribbean islands are mostly about beaches and shopping with the more exotic ports offering rain forest sky tram or hiking experiences and of course there is great snorkeling.

It would probably be advantageous to discuss port activity preferences with your group to narrow down your choices.

My daughter has been on two cruises at age 7, western Caribbean and age 11 to Hawaii - like her parents, never had a port experience she didn't like and we always intentionally select very varied activities. We are sailing to Southern Caribbean on Spirit in November.

She LOVED camp Carnival but due to staff problems on Pride of America the older kids were lumped with the younger so she just did not care for many of the kids club offerings ("too lame"). Also it was not one of the newer NCL kids facilities; I have heard the Spirit is much nicer.

Be sure to include your 10 yr old companion in your discussions; show him/her the deck plans and point out the sports facilities, kids club facilities, shore excusion choices, and find & print out schedules of activities including family oriented offerings from the Dailies likely to be offered on your itinerary.

The family with child is very likely to view facilities dining, & ports in a very different light than the couple without child but I'm sure there will be much common ground.

As you can see - we concentrate on where we are going first then consider the ship later. We just lucked out to be on the newly refitted Spirit. I can't imagine a cruise ship or cruise experience we wouldn't enjoy! :)

Best of luck with your planning - yes, we had just a couple of months to plan versus my usual 16 months or more to obssess so my sympathy to you. Hey, you're on Cruise Critic - no better source so I'm postitive you'll make a well informed decision. :)

Thanks MOMofONE!

I have to tell you..the most interesting thing to me about the Western is the Cave tubing. That sounds really fascinating but I can't plan a whole trip based on one excursion! So I will continue to obsess, research...and obsess some more! My main concern is my son. I want all his travel experiences to be as great as I can make them. Good idea to be sure to include him in the planning.

If the Western route includes a stop at Grand Cayman, Stingray City is a must with kids. I really enjoy the Western route.Cozumel, MX has great excursions too. We are booked 11/06 ten day on the Dawn eastern route. We are looking for idea for St. Martin and Tortola.

Yes, I've read about the Stingray Swim and we will definitely do that if we were to go 'western'. However, after Wilma, I think the Eastern/Southern is the way to go on this winters cruise or at least until we hear of what damage and clean up has to take place in the western region.

I think it's such a personal choice. Everyone plans their vacas so differently, with a focus on different elements.

Our first cruise wasn't short, it was the 11day southern carib on the Dawn. We ended up there because of the ship, not the intinerary. (ironic eh?) My TA knew I wanted to go to st. lucia or to turks & caicos. She convinced me (and believe me it took a real arm twisting) to get me to try cruising. She had just cruised herself on the Dawn and really sold it to me. The price was right so we went for it.

We absolutely fell in love. Fell in love with the ship, fell in love with cruising, fell in love with the caribbean.

Now I can't imagine taking a cruise that is less than 10 days. We are sailing the dawn again in 3 weeks over thanksgiving to the Western Caribbean. We can't wait. Me, hubby, my 14yo, my 11yo and my Mom.

We are very realistic folks. We don't expect perfection. We understand the logistics involved keeping 2500 guests happy must be a nightmare. With this in mind, everything exceeded our expectations before and I have no doubt that it will be equally beautiful and relaxing this time around as well.

I say, go with what sounds best to you and your group and then, once the decision is made, just fly with it. Focus on the joy to be found and don't let any little mishaps, miscommunications, or spilled wine ruin your time.

I think some people will complain during the most perfect trip in spite of all your best efforts.

T.

I had the same problem deciding between Spirit/Dawn. Decided to go with the Spirit, she is only slightly smaller, and drydock can only improve her.

I also love the longer cruises, 7 days is just barely enough time to get acclimated to the ship, unless you've been on it before. Freestyle cruising is hard to beat, and NCL is a little more flexible than RCCL, even though I love it also.

I'ts up to you, either way, you have a blast.

NCL Spirit cruise Jan 29, 2006

We have sailed on Norwegian Dawn out of New York on an 11 night cruise of Southern Caribbean in Dec. 2004 and it was a great trip. Norwegian Dawn is a lovely ship, food and show great. As for taking East, West or Southern Caribbean, if it is your first time I would recommend Eastern Caribbean as ports of call like St. Thomas or St. Maarten have some very nice beaches. We have done them several times. I would recommend a cruise longer then 7 days as it seems you just get on board and unpack and then you are ready to repack and got off, much more relaxing on a longer cruise. We are sailing again on March 5th on Norwegian Dawn on an 11 night cruise out of New York and back, doing Western Caribbean. Usually go every year when grandchildren have March break with all the family and very enjoyable. Whatever you do don,t book Norwegian Dream until the ship has its enginer fixed, otherwise you will miss ports.

My husband mentioned that it was my birthday on our last cruise (it was also new years eve) when we came into the cabin after lunch it was festooned with balloons and extra towel animals and a sign saying happy birthday.

There was also a decorated cake and a birthday card from the Captain!

WOW

The stewards and our butler put it all together

Archived