Galaxy

mikeg56

We did the 11 day Med cruise on the Galaxy last month and we had a great time. The food was very good, the service was excellent and the itinerary was great. We stopped in Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Naples, Istanbul, Athens and Ephesus. The shore excursions that we took were all very good as well. If you are doing a similar trip you should have a great time.

We did the same cruise as SuperJerry. Also had a fantastic time. I posted a review on the CC member reviews but it has not been listed yet. You can read it soon. In Sept we found that most cruisers were in the 55 yr age, only 21 children on board, in July/Aug they had 500 children. Excellent service and food was fantastic. I recommend going to Europe early to adjust to the time. We spent 3 nights in Venice pre and 2 nights post cruise in Rome.

I wish there were more sea days, only 2.5 sea days in total over 12 days. After 3 port days in a row, we were exhausted. I would recommend walking a lot to get in shape, cause at the ports you will be walking everywhere. We took all private port excursions. Never use the ship trips. Ship is in great shape, 9 years old, but you hardly notice it. Lots of activities to do, the exercise room is under-utilized and very good. The usual art auction, jewellry sales etc. Would do the cruise again for sure and relax a little more.

Al

Last June we did the Galaxy's other Med itinerary - 10 days, Naples, Mykonos, Santorini, Sicily, Villefranche, and Genoa. Outstanding itinerary - much to see and do in the ports, including a couple of late night sailings to allow for evening activities ashore. And 3 heavenly sea days to relax and do nothing. We did ship-sponsored excursions in all the ports except Mykonos, and were satisfied for the most part - the only exception being the Amalfi coast out of Naples for which a big bus isn't the best way to see it. In Mykonos, we simply walked around on our own.

As for the ship experience, we sailed with people of all ages - honeymooners, families with kids, middle-aged folks, and some of retirement age. We found the dress to be more casual than what we expected.

We loved our time on the Galaxy, and I hope you do, too. If you have never been to Rome, add some time there before or after the cruise if you can.

Also did the same cruise as SuperJerry in July and it was wonderful. Wonderful ports and enjoyable sea days. Food and service exceptional. All age groups!! Did private tours in Turkey and Rome. Flew into Rome early which I highly advise if you are doing this itinerary. In Naples we ferried to Carpri then picked up ferries to Amalfi ,Positano and back! It was a great way to see the coastline and have enough time to walk around these beautiful cities!! (We hate busses!). We did the ship's tour in Mykonos to get to Delos (the only way you can get to Delos in the afternoon), then wandered around Mykonos on our own. It is also easy to wander around Rhodes on your own! Rhodes also has the best shopping. You will have the best time!

We weren't interested in the beaches on our cruise, so I don't have a lot information to share. I heard the stops in Greece have the best beaches on this itinerary, but I can't confirm or deny that. We walked along the beaches in Villefranche and Nice, and they were pebbly, not sandy. The pebbles were smooth, so you could probably walk barefoot OK, but you wouldn't want to just toss a towel down. People were using beach chairs, which I imagine were available for a rental fee from some service. I vaguely recall our guide in Sicily telling us that there were nicer beaches on Sicily compared to the mainland of Italy, but I don't recall any more details.

Archived