Formal nights

That's a shame if they don't have a formal night on Discovery. We too dress up for the evenings but also get to dress up in a posh dress for the formal nights which is really nice especially if everyone else does - not sure that meeting the captain is exactly my cup of tea - just nice to go down for dinner glammed up !!

I have mentioned before that we enjoy dressing up for the evening and will continue to do so. It is all part of the cruise experience and doesn't mean that you are posh or stuck up it just shows that you have made an effort. I hope that people will continue to dress for dinner and not let standards slip.

I certainly won't be meeting the captain! I am sort of pleased about them not having a formal night though, we are flying Germania from Norwich and only allowed 20kg of hold luggage. If I don't have to pack a dinner suit I can save on some weight!

I have mentioned before that we enjoy dressing up for the evening and will continue to do so. It is all part of the cruise experience and doesn't mean that you are posh or stuck up it just shows that you have made an effort. I hope that people will continue to dress for dinner and not let standards slip.

what has 'standards' got to do with it:confused:

some of the most exclusive and expensive cruise lines don't have formal nights ;)

I certainly won't be meeting the captain! I am sort of pleased about them not having a formal night though, we are flying Germania from Norwich and only allowed 20kg of hold luggage. If I don't have to pack a dinner suit I can save on some weight!

It is not certain that there is no formal night but it is not mentioned by Thomson and as the main dining room is split into two with different cuisine, british and Italian, it would be difficult to justify enforcing formal dress for dinner.

anyway one of the good things about Thomson is they are not Cunard ;)

It is not certain that there is no formal night but it is not mentioned by Thomson and as the main dining room is split into two with different cuisine, british and Italian, it would be difficult to justify enforcing formal dress for dinner.

anyway one of the good things about Thomson is they are not Cunard ;)

Arguably, it's one of the bad things too[emoji3]

I am not just talking about formal nights. It is about getting cleaned up and fresh for the evening. We have seen people turn up for dinner in the MDR wearing shorts and tee shirts that they have had on all day only to be turned away for inappropriate dress code. If you want to be casual that is absolutely fine but smart casual is better for the evening dining and shows etc. I wouldn't know about any other cruise line as I have only ever been with Thomson, but it is my own dress code that I follow. As for keeping luggage weight down there are references which may help earlier on in these posts.

I am not just talking about formal nights. It is about getting cleaned up and fresh for the evening. We have seen people turn up for dinner in the MDR wearing shorts and tee shirts that they have had on all day only to be turned away for inappropriate dress code. If you want to be casual that is absolutely fine but smart casual is better for the evening dining and shows etc. I wouldn't know about any other cruise line as I have only ever been with Thomson, but it is my own dress code that I follow. As for keeping luggage weight down there are references which may help earlier on in these posts.

I agree, we don't want to see slobs infesting the ships. IMO we don't want to get into the sort of dress code arguments you get on the P&O forum were some poor uninformed souls are under the mistaken impression that if you are not wearing the 'uniform', even when you don't have to you are some sort of social inferior. I was even taken to task for wearing a clip-on bow tie. I never did get a response or an apology when I explained my fingers don't work properly and a self tie is almost impossible, and painful.:rolleyes:

Will a kilt look out of place at a formal night (with waistcoat, jacket and tie if course !). We have 60kg luggage between 3 of us so plenty room for it weight wise but will I be "over dressed" on the Dream ?

We were on the Dream last August and I would say 75% were in formal attire and quite a few in kilts.

I think the problem is only 1 formal a week, we're doing a 7 day cruise then staying in Majorca for 3 nights and carrying all the formal stuff you're only getting 1 wear out of is a waste, I think they should have 2 a week. I didn't think it was a problem as I take a suit carrier with 6-7 jackets in it for the other nights but I've just got off Royal Caribbean and I felt out of place in skinny jeans (navy or black) shirt, jacket and shoes so I'm thinking if Thomson are similar I might just take polo shirts like I would a land based holiday. what percentage of passengers are actually 'smart casual'?

Thanks

Dean

IMO for what that's worth is that we pay a lot for a cruise and should never feel uncomfortable or out of place in what we like to wear so long as it doesn't affect anyone else's holiday. Fortunately we are all different we personally like to dress up, but I would not take seven jackets to wear on none formal evenings and we no longer do cruise and stay, because we enjoy the cruise so much, as I say everyone is different, you could actually wear a dress suit any night especially if you go into one of the specialty restaurants. Just feel comfortable in what you do.

IMO for what that's worth is that we pay a lot for a cruise and should never feel uncomfortable or out of place in what we like to wear so long as it doesn't affect anyone else's holiday. Fortunately we are all different we personally like to dress up, but I would not take seven jackets to wear on none formal evenings and we no longer do cruise and stay, because we enjoy the cruise so much, as I say everyone is different, you could actually wear a dress suit any night especially if you go into one of the specialty restaurants. Just feel comfortable in what you do.

My wife always dresses to please herself and looks very smart I myself take one jacket and several waistcoats and people have said how smart we look.as you say were what you feel comfortable in