Hawaii Excursions Please Advise

comfixit

I am going on a Pride of America sailing through the islands on 12/17/05. Traveling will be me and my wife (29,28) in addition to my parents and younger sister.

While there are a few things my wife and I would like to do ourselves such as surfing lessons/kayaking and snorkling I am looking for fun stuff that the family can do together.

We will probably rent a car on each and every day on the islands and will be traveling to Hilo/Kona on different days and spending a day and a half in each of Maui and Kauai.

My parents are not very adventurous and my father has somewhat limited mobility. He can walk fine but probably not the best to have him do any climbing or walking over uneven terrain where he might slip.

Hilo I think I have down pat. Volcano national park, drive the crater, drive down the road to Thurston Lava tube, then lunch in Hilo, check out the Tsunami center then up north to see the falls. So that day is pretty much packed.

What I need suggestions for are some activities for the other days given that we should have a rental car.

Specificaly what is good to do on the Kona side of the island? I was thinking that perhaps we could travel up to the Kona side resorts, hopefully they would have nice temperate beaches. Perhaps my wife and I could rent snorkel gear or boogy boards hit the ocean while the parents enjoyed a few cocktails. But even that sounds only like a half a day. Anything else we could go by and see of interest near the resorts in Kona?

I am completely at a loss as to what to check out in Kauai and Maui. I know there is lots to do and I remember going there at age 15 (again on a cruise) and really enjoying those specific islands but have no clue as to which specific activities we did (Watching waterfalls and hiking over volcanos I suppose).

What suggestions do you guys have for Maui and Kauai activities that would be easy on the whole family?

Archived