Tell me about Grand Case

mmeadows

I cruised into Philipsburg and went to Orient Beach later in the day, and liked both of them immensely (Philipsburg was fun to go around and Orient was beautiful). Now that I'm looking to go back for a week or so, a lot of places we are looking to stay are at or near Grand Case.

What can you tell me about that area? Is it safe? Busy? Are there places to shop/eat? Obviously we can day trip to Philipsburg again or go over to Orient, but the majority of our time would be near where we stay, so I just want to make sure I know what I'd be in for.

For me, Gr Case is the Jewel of the Island. But then I'm a foodie ...

It is a village, and the main street runs along the beach. So there is one row of buildings backing onto the white sand and sparkling turquoise water. The buildings are mostly older, and contain a rag-tag mixture of posh digs and bohemian hang-outs. There are luxurious boutique hotels (for example, l'Atlantide) and simply delightful, immaculate guesthouses (Hevea, Chez Martine). But the piece de resistance is the number -- and quality -- of eateries. This village calls itself the gourmet capital of the Caribbean for a reason! The best of the restaurants (you will have to decide yourself, after extensive research, which you crown as "best") is right up there with the best of Europe, or the best of cosmopolitan North American cities. In addition, there are simple eateries (such as the lo-los at the pier which provide simple, tasty local fare for picky palates). In the morning, the smell of baguettes and croissants and cafe au lait wafts down the street.

During the day, Grand Case is a sleepy spot. Not much happening, beach almost deserted, plenty of what I call "Caribbean landscaping" (it's not going to with any prizes for pretty). In the evening, the village wakes up as diners wander the pot-holed main drag and touts try to tempt them into their establishment. It is one of the few places in the world where we will order a whole bottle of wine to have with our main course: the wine lists are superb and well-priced, and we'll simply walk (or weave!) our way back to the guest house. Yes, it is safe.

Grand Case is close to Marigot, a very French holiday town with a buzz, great shopping (a Match supermarket with everthing you would find on the French mainland!) and European ambiance. Unfortunately, they have traffic jams from hell. In the other direction, it is an easy drive to Orient Beach if you want action-packed beach life.

I have lived and travelled extensively in the Caribbean, and I can't think of a nicer place to holiday, which is why we've booked for March. Can you tell I'm looking forward to it?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived