Farewell Horizon

wahokie

I guess that is what we all wish for the Horizon-that she fares well in her years to come as she leaves the Celebrity fleet. I wonder what will happen to her crew? Does anyone know what happens to the employees when a ship is taken out of service?

So sad...I expect an experienced crew like this will be easily absorbed by the other ships. I don't think any line would allow highly skilled, trained, staff to leave without making a good effort to retain them...

If she is not looked after and loved...I hope she goes to join Meridian (of course, with no loss of souls).

Just got off the Horizon on Saturday. I am glad I was able to spend some time on such a lovely ship. We asked a couple of folks what they would be doing. All that we talked to were offered positions on other Celebrity or Royal Carribean ships.

I certainly hope so. Jaffry, our waiter, was concerned about his future when we sailed on Horizon in June . He and our asst. waiter Iwyans were both excellent and made our trip memorable. I hope they find new positions.

I guess we will have to book the Zenith to get that small ship experience. I am afraid she may also be retired. I hope they don't have all the ships in Bermuda at the Dockyard. It is so nice to be "parked" downtown. I heard they may enlarge the cut into port so that bigger ships can come in--any word on that rumor?

Hi Everyone !

Yes, I am sorry to see Horizon leave the fleet as well. She will be missed.

Hopefully, Zenith will remain for awhile longer. I do not think there are any immediate plans to have Zenith leave the fleet.

Hi Everyone !

Yes, I am sorry to see Horizon leave the fleet as well. She will be missed.

Hopefully, Zenith will remain for awhile longer. I do not think there are any immediate plans to have Zenith leave the fleet.

Hi Andy,,guess we all echo the same sentiment,,we sailed the Horizon when she was here in Tampa...The very first X ship we sailed was the Zenith,,,sailed her twice, wonderful ship also..But alas then we got hooked on the M class (the Summit my favorite);) ,,and now this coming Jan. we are forsaking X and going on RCC..hope we won't be sorry but think it is time for a change of venue;) ....

My first Celebrity cruise was on Horizon, so I am a sentimental fool in the realization that her departure from the Celebrity fleet is upon us. I am sure it will be a sad final sailing for many who've made Horizon home. Best wishes and many thanks to the family of Horizon employees who've made this grand vessel a special place and treated us so famously over the years. We will miss you!

Horizon in Her Glory: April 2004

212779958FTlseE_ph.jpg

4.gif6.gif7.gif

Bermuda has decided on a two phase program to upgrade its docks. In the first phase the Kings Warf pier and terminal will be improved to accept two large Super Mega ships along with improvements to the ferry terminal, and at St. George one of the two small docks will be enlarged, allowing only one Panamax sized vessel to dock there. The second dock will be overwhelmed by the larger first dock, but it will still be used for local boat excursions.

In the second phase one of the two small docks in Hamiliton will be enlarged, similar to St. George for one Panamax sized vessel. There will also be other improvements to the harbor upgrading its freight capacity.

Bermuda is very aware that cruise ships are becoming larger, and that the older mid-sized vessels are being discarded by the major cruise lines. Other Caribbean island nations are also faced with difficult choices too. While the costs are modest to improve the docks in comparison to buying new cruise ships, these costs are a hardship for these island nations in the short term. All of these island nations could easily spend these funds elsewhere.

Ahhhh David.... don't do this to me:p ..... if you keep showing us these beautiful pictures that you've captured, you will have me driving to Philly tomorrow morning and it will be your fault when I am taken away by security for trying to board one last time as a stow-a-way! LOL!:) ;)

Don Haynes Thanks for the update on plans for Bermuda. Do you have any idea about the time frame for these changes? I am hoping to take the family back to Bermuda in June 2007 but want to go for more than a 5 day trip as so many of the cruises are these days.

Archived