Hadrian's Wall with mobility scooter

I am on a HAL cruise and visiting Newcastle July 2nd.

I located some information that are some areas of Hadrian's Wall that are accessible to someone in a wheelchair.

I would like to book a taxi or a guide that could take us. Any ideas?

The scooter is somewhat portable and does fold down to a smaller size.

Thank you for any information. I've booked one of the HAL excursions which will work for me but I know that my husband would get no enjoyment on the excursion because of the mobility limitations.

Ingrid

Not aware of how you can do this with a mobility scooter, I think this is not viable, the only parts with much remaining are well out of Newcastle and in wild country. Housesteads fort is not accessible.

This will need re-thinking .

Perhaps some of the forts (Vindolanda, etc.) are handicapped-friendly (I wasn't paying attention to that), but I walked the entire path several years ago from the western end to Newcastle, and I really don't remember any part of it that was possible to do with a wheelchair or mobility scooter. It's pretty rugged in spots, and often not near the road or railway.

Edited by Langoustine

I would agree, Corbridge Roman Town, Vindolanda and the Roman Army Museum might be suitable but places like Housteads would be a problem.

For example although Housteads says it has disabled parking up a farm track, it still means a 750m a little short of half a mile, walk up a steep slope to get to the site.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/housesteads-roman-fort-hadrians-wall/access

Edited by Hatters cruiser

This is what I located about access but I didn't know how to connect with a tour company or taxi driver that could take us to these places Thanks for any info.

"If you have a car, drive along the B6318 from Heddon on the Wall to Greenhead which runs along the line of Hadrian's Wall. In places between Heddon and the crossroads with the A6079 there are short stretches of the wall which are close to the road. There is what looks like a wheelchair accessible path beside this. You can also see the ditch which was dug to the north of the wall and the vallum which was dug to the south.

At Haltwhistle, take the unclassified road at the crossroads by the Milecastle Inn to Cawfields picnic site. There is a path from the parking area by the flooded old quarry which takes you up to a milecastle on the wall. This should be OK with a wheelchair. There is a footpath east from here along the wall which again may be manageable in the wheelchair for at least the first bit."

From TripAdvisor

I still think that your husband would be better visiting a site like Chesters Fort which sits astride Hadrians wall, which is relatively wheelchair friendly, than driving along the road to see a few places along it where the wall is visible.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/chesters-roman-fort-and-museum-hadrians-wall/history/description/

Or Corbridge Roman Town.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/corbridge-roman-town-hadrians-wall/

I am sure someone can tell us who you could hire for a tour.