Can my 10 yr old get a (teen) Smoothie card?

CatskillsMom

They're not really cards, they're booklets of 20 coupons. That being said, I went the other way and got one for my 18 year old son (supposed to be 13-17). On embarkation day, when they sell them in the lobby, they are so busy that if you give them a cabin card to charge it to, a 90 year old could be buying one and they wouldn't flinch. You then present a coupon at the bars to get a virgin drink. Half the coupons were used by me and my husband and we would just tell them we were getting them for our kid, no one ever questioned it. Sometimes we would send our son with three coupons and he would just come back with three of them. No big deal.

Incidentally, where in the Catskills? Spent many years at the Fallsview/Nevele/Raleigh......:p

Robin

The smoothie "card" isn't a card, it's a booklet with 20 coupons good for smoothies or non-alcoholic cocktails. We were able to buy 2 for my kids, who were the other end of the spectrum -- 18 & 20 without any problem. My DH and I also used several of the coupons, as we don't drink alcohol. Just ask at one of the bars and you should be able to buy the booklet.

I bought and used one with my then 11 year old on the PoA - never a question/problem when either she or I used a coupon.

BTW we used them in the dining room too - just handed over the coupon when they came to our table to take drink orders.

Apparently, the designation for teens is because a pizza/smoothie party is held the last night of the cruise - it is advertised as one of the benefits of purchasing the smoothie booklet. I'm not sure if this is the same party the teen club always has at end of cruise, or one designated to 'smoothie booklet buyers'? Either way, us non-teen smoothie consumers could not participate.

Ours was $34 for a book of 20 coupons - that's $1.70 each which must be a substantial savings from ordeing individually! (not to mention the advantages of mixing your own pina colada with an errant bottle of rum) :)

That's great. Had not thought of the bottle of 'rum'... heck, us adults will have to get a smoothie 'booklet'!

So, can you purchase two booklets if you have one kid? If we go on an 11 day cruise...two would probably be used up. That's 2 smoothies a day for my son.. which seems reasonable on a vacation.

Michelle--

I pretty sure it's the Granite that's now the Hudson Valley Resort and Spa. Actually, the Nevele & Fallsview just did a major refurb a couple of years ago and is definitely in business under those names.

I know where Saugerties is, though. Pass it all the time, my son's in college in Troy, near Albany. I'll wave next time!

BTW, the 20 coupons lasted the three of us for 7 days on the Dawn with a couple left over. They're really sweet; you sort of get tired of drinking them after a while, and they are filling, keeping you from eating all the yummy food (personally, I'd rather have ice cream!)

Robin

Catskill Mom,

I agree with Robin - we had two left over after a 12 day cruise but I'm sure many factors will affect # needed. My husband and I are not BIG drinkers, even on vacation, and we had a couple of bottles of wine in lieu of our "homemade" Pina Coladas.

My DD also loved the lemonade. Sure, if I handed her 30-40 coupons she would consume a great deal more and probably be handing them out to her new found friends too! :)

I'm not sure, but I think you can purchase an additonal book at the main desk or at bars - maybe check with NCL if they can be purchased mid-trip then just start with one if you can?

Ahhhh, Catskills. Memories of youth. Our family of 8 originally from NJ never did the resort thing but I can still remember the smells and sounds of camping even if the pictures are fading in my brain. :)

A couple of years ago I tried to pre order smoothie booklets over the phone before the cruise, they wouldnt let me cause when they checked our ressies, we didnt have anyone in the 13-17 age range.....When we got on board I purchased the smoothie booklets and nobody questioned us.

Patty

Archived