Trip insurance rec?

Been using the same travel agency for years and using their insurance at a nominal fee for what it covered. Tried adding it to a new booking today and was notified that they use a different company now and the cost is now double!!!!

I want to look into cheaper options. I can do that even though the reservation is with a travel agent right?

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that I can look into? Want to insure the flights, pre cruise hotel and cruise (to include weather)

Feel free to PM me. Thanks

Been using the same travel agency for years and using their insurance at a nominal fee for what it covered. Tried adding it to a new booking today and was notified that they use a different company now and the cost is now double!!!!

I want to look into cheaper options. I can do that even though the reservation is with a travel agent right?

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that I can look into? Want to insure the flights, pre cruise hotel and cruise (to include weather)

Yes, you can book your own travel insurance, regardless of if you are booked with a travel agent.

Check out http://www.insuremytrip.com.

If you haven't done so, you may want to check your Health Insurance for "out of country" coverage and you may want to check your credit card (used for booking) for (usually minimal) included Trip Protection (cancellation and Luggage) coverage.

If you're military associated, USAA sells (TravelInsured) policies at a slight discoun t with some increased coverages and benefits.

Otherwise CSA, TravelEx, etc., offer a number of policies with varying benefits (cancel for business reasons or for military deployment, kids insured free....) that might fit your circumstances.

You generally have to purchase within 14-21 days of booking to get "waiver of pre-existing conditions" and to get the opportunity to purchase "cancel for any reason" coverage (carefully read the terms for the cancel for any reason as coverage is generally NOT 100% and may decrease the closer to sailaway that you cancel).

Ken

Edited by Ken076

You can not PM on Cruise Critic as that function is disabled.

My TA uses Travel Insured. My main concerns are the need to cancel for any reason (CFAR) and getting ill/hurt out of the country. I filed a claim when I had to cancel my January cruise and since I keep good records, was easily able to supply all receipts and received payment promptly.

I have been using squaremouth.com for a number of years. Like the other wesbite, you put in your needs and are offered a variety of choices to compare. Though I have thankfully never had a claim when I did have a few questions I found their customer service extremely helpful.

I have been using squaremouth.com for a number of years. Like the other wesbite, you put in your needs and are offered a variety of choices to compare. Though I have thankfully never had a claim when I did have a few questions I found their customer service extremely helpful.

+1 for squaremouth. And yes, check to make sure your US health insurance covers overseas. Ours doesn't. Good primary health coverage is relatively cheap with trip insurance.