Explorer Of The Seas

mayfly43

Would like some information on the Explorer. My sister and I will be sailing on the Exployer in April. There will be 2 adults and two teens that will be sharing a cabin. Just would like to get any information you would have about the ship, the food, the entertainment. Good and Bad. What were your best shore trips. We will be sailing from Miami to San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten. Looking forward to hearing from all of you. Thanks

I sailed Explorer in February and found the ship to be wonderful. Food was excellent, and everything was very clean. The stage productions in The Palace Theater are great, not to be missed! I did not see the Ice Show because there was a broken leg with the performance crew and so the shows were cancelled. The Royal Promenade is amazing, certainly the heart of the ship. There's always something going on in the Royal Promenade (parades, trade shows, shopping, free wine and alcohol tasting, live music, free ice cream). My group always ate in the main dining room so I don't have an opinion about the Portifino Italian Restaurant. The Windjammer Cafe is great. Always served nice hot food, alwasy clean and there was a big selection of breakfast and lunch choices. The main thing I found interesting about Explorer of the Seas (and probably about any Voyager Class ship) is that I never once felt crowded. Even tho 3,000 other people were on that ship with me, my group never waited in line for anything. Boarding elevators were never a problem, the line for dinner always went smooth, never once had to wait for anything. If there's any specifics you want to know, let me know! Explorer is beautiful and amazing all at the same time!

We went on the EX for our HM over a year ago and LOVED it. I'd highly recommend eating at Portofino's on one of your nights. Pick a night before you get on the ship and before the ship leaves Miami go to Portofino's and make your reservation. We went to the same ports you are as well. Since it was our HM we chose not to prebook excursions.

In San Juan we walked up to the Fort which was really nice. We wanted to go to the rainforest but the weather was bad and they cancelled all the tours going there.

In St. Maarten we walked into town and really didn't enjoy it at all because we were harassed by so many of the locals trying to sell us stuff. If you could get on a tour I'd do that instead.

In St. Thomas we were going to go parasailing but while we were waiting for everyone to show up the tour guide told us that it was WAY overpriced for the amount of time we'd be in air (only 5 min I believe). Then we found out that one of the boats wasn't working right and that 1 group would have to wait an extra hour. So they allowed us to cancel and we were refunded our money. We shopped by the mall/shops near the port.

We didn't go to Nassau because Hurricane Jeanne was heading to Nassau the same day we were. So were were stuck at sea that day hanging around Cuba. We also arrived in port a day late because of the Hurricane.

Sam

Just got off Explorer on Sunday. The ice show is a must see. Also the Love and Marriage Show is a must. We ate in the dining room every night. the only problem we had was the bar server, which she took forever to get us drinks. we would get drinks half way through our meal. The ship is huge and plenty to do if you are interested in there activities. Last year went to St. Thomas (Coki Beach) and it was beautiful. Clearest water I have ever seen. You will love this ship.

Just returned two weeks ago from our second Explorer voyage in 13 months with an 18 and 19 year old. You are going to love this ship. Never feels crowded and many really nice public spaces. For the teens, I'd make sure they know about the rock climbing wall, full basketball court and inline skating up on the sports deck. Dizzy's Lounge is a wonderful place for a sunset cocktail and we also loved the Connoisseur off the Maharaji Lounge for a relaxing cigar and cognac. Also, have to say that the service is outstanding...wait staff, bartenders, pool staff...always friendly, always a smile.

Production shows are usually quite enjoyable and done to a high standard, but have to admit I wasn't too crazy about our cruise director, Carly I think her name was. Don't miss the ice show and the Quest game. Enjoyed the art auction even though we weren't planning on buying anything and didn't.

I love the Solarium for swimming and sunning...really pretty pool space with no kids allowed. Also, their work out areas are pretty top notch too. Hubby and son loved the Atmospheric Lab tour...so interesting to know what data all those weird weather instruments you see around the ship are.

Great sandwiches in the Cafe Promenade (change daily), Loved Portofino's...did it two nights...and would recommend the filet mignon, the carpaccio appetizer and any of their amazing deserts.

As far as excursions...we never book, but make our own way:

St. Martin...in my humble opinion...need to head to the French side and spend a day on Orient Beach and/or the Regatta sail race (this one I think you need to book). Several people I know were actually able to fit both in while in port. Marigot, the capital of the French side has an colorful outdoor market which I believe was open during our day in port and some nice outdoor cafes, shopping, etc. Maho beach is a great place to head and see the most awesome site of large passenger planes coming to the runway that starts right at the beach. People usually head to the Sunset Beach Bar for drinks and viewing.

St. Thomas...best on-island snorkeling can be found at Sapphire Beach (the resort is very accomodating of cruisers and I love their pool and lunch area after a few hours of snorkeling over the reefs) or at Coki Beach. I've been hard pressed to find a more beautiful view of surrounding islands, reefs, ect than from Sapphire Beach. If you're really interested in a good snorkeling experience, you can also taxi to Red Hook and ferry over to ST. John's and head to Trunk Bay...or I think water taxi over from close to our ship.

Not a big Old San Juan fan....didn't get off the ship this time. But I think if ever there again may look into a taxi to the Isle Verde beach (someone can let me know if I've not gotten that exactly right)

Hope this helped...just go with your best vacation smile and enjoy a wonderful week of pampering in the sun,

Kathy

We were on the Explorer last month and I aggree with all the positive reviews. Absolutely loved it! One thing to add is that due to the size of the ship, you will almost never feel movement. No need for sea sickness meds. We even went through some storms at night. Nary a wiggle.

LUV and GC -- thanks for your insights.

We're trying to save money this cruise. We were considering SNUBA in St. Thomas at Coral World, but would end up booking through the ship on Sunday. Should I guess that we'd be very happy just taking our snorkel gear (we're bringing our own mask/snorkel/fins) by taxi to Coki Beach for a while ?

Archived