Cozumel Shore Dives

Donna PT

I've heard Chankanaab requires you to have a guide.
Yes, that is correct, but there is nothing wrong with having a guide, especially if you are a single diver. The guide and equipment rental package is still reasonably priced at around $30~$40. Here is a good review of the Chankanaab shore dive, with photos.

Scubaboard also has this post about Chankanaab diving.

Other places to shore dive would include Dzul Ha. If they don't rent tanks/gear there, go down the street a couple hundred yards to the Fiesta Americana. Their on-site dive shop is Divehouse. They rent gear and tanks. You can either dive there or take the stuff back up to Dzul Ha to enter the water and slowly drift back down to FA. If you want to skip the walk back to Dzul Ha, dive at FA just to the southern side of their dock. That should be a shallow dive with little if any current.

Blue Angle diving at the Caribe Blue hotel is another place for a shore dive. They rent gear/tanks and you can dive right there at the hotel.

Papa Hogs at the Villa Blancha (sp) is very close to the Caribe Blue. Rent from Papa Hogs and dive right there.

Yes, that is correct, but there is nothing wrong with having a guide, especially if you are a single diver. The guide and equipment rental package is still reasonably priced at around $30~$40. Here is a good review of the Chankanaab shore dive, with photos.

Scubaboard also has this post about Chankanaab diving.

Other places to shore dive would include Dzul Ha. If they don't rent tanks/gear there, go down the street a couple hundred yards to the Fiesta Americana. Their on-site dive shop is Divehouse. They rent gear and tanks. You can either dive there or take the stuff back up to Dzul Ha to enter the water and slowly drift back down to FA. If you want to skip the walk back to Dzul Ha, dive at FA just to the southern side of their dock. That should be a shallow dive with little if any current.

Blue Angle diving at the Caribe Blue hotel is another place for a shore dive. They rent gear/tanks and you can dive right there at the hotel.

Papa Hogs at the Villa Blancha (sp) is very close to the Caribe Blue. Rent from Papa Hogs and dive right there.

Since when are they requiring a dive guide at Chankanaab? I confess it's been a couple of years since I have been there, but the last time we were there, we simply rented tanks and off we went!

We tried to rent tanks from Papa Hogs for shore diving, and they refused to give us any, but that was a long time ago, and it was the day after some people got left behind by a dive boat (their's I believe). It was a long time ago, and the people there were very rude to us.

The dive out to the airplane at night (I think it's by La Cieba - maybe it's called something else now) is also a nice dive, as long as you watch the current.

I've done only one shore dive in Coz - it was at Blue Angel and was also my only nght dive. It was okay but the process of battling the current one way is a real PITA. Prices are competitive in Coz and IMHO it's really worth paying for boat access to the great spots further out.

I have been advised that one of the best shore access snorkeling spots is straight out from the Coral Princess Hotel (it's at the edge of the northern hotel zone which is closest to town) - should also be good for diving.

I think they have a dive shop there but I'm not certain.

Archived