Freestyle Tipping?

comfixit

The choice is entirely yours. When you sign the slip at one of the speciality restaurants after your meal you can add something should you wish to, amount doesn't matter. Its the same all over the ship, the $10 a day automatic tip is done and you can add to that if you feel you have been well looked after. By the same token you can sign a form at the end of the cruise and not pay the $10 a day, several passengers on the 2 nighter I was on did that. It is entirely up to you.

When at the regular or specialty eateries on board is a tip expected? If one is given what is appropriate for the situation considering the per person fee paid for tipping automatically?

It is not expected but appreciated. If you feel that the service deserved a little extra cash is the most welcome. In the specialty restaurants you check comes in a folder like a land based restaurant. Just add the cash to the folder.

How much that is your call. I have left $5 and I have left $20. I have on many occasion left $0.

Ally

Did you ever find reason to tip extra for the food? If so did you just leave the money on the table? What amount did you find appropriate?

On the occasion I ate at Le Bistro, I left $15. You fill the slip in that is charged against your cabin charge card, you don't generally leave cash.

I just got off the Star and eat in the extra cost restaurants on five nights. The extra cost that you are paying includes the tip (it even says so on the bill). That being said, I added $2.00 to my bill each time as an extra tip. The amount is charged to the room.

I must disagree with Gloryrider on this one instance. I always leave cash if I'm giving a tip for exceptional service. Cash is always appropriate, and always appreciated! ;)

If it is not cash the person you want to get it may not see it or only see a share of it.

I gave cash tips to all the servers (and cabin stewards) we had that I felt did an exceptional job, and, they were most appreciative. Unfortunately, our servers at Cagney's Steak House did not get a cash tip, as we felt the service there was not as good as we received in the Main Dining room. :o

I gave cash tips to all the servers (and cabin stewards) we had that I felt did an exceptional job, and, they were most appreciative.

Yes, I left an extra $10 for each of the two cabin stewards (as the only ones I saw every day) and they were very appreciative.

We found that cash tipping seemed to be much more appreciated than signing the receipt with a tip indicated on it.

The one time that we did this in a specialty restaurant, the waiter looked so very disappointed.

I would agree that he probably did not get all of it. We were not aware of this at the time, or would have left cash.

After leaving the restaurant, we did discuss this with a more seasoned cruiser, and he suggested that cash was the only way to go.

We left a generous tip for our room steward/ess, which they were very happy with. In turn, they left us a nice hand written "Thank You".

I feel that tipping should be treated much as it is on land.

I realize that the $10 pp per day is already added, but if you do the math, and divide this up among the crew who share this, it is minimal at best.

The crew who go beyond, and make your cruise experience pleasant do deserve a little extra.

The amount has to be up to you, and what you deemed the extra service to be worth.

Many times, a couple of dollars is sufficient, and sometimes, a nice generous $25 or so - as in the instance of room stewards seems more in line.

It is truly your own choice.

If a tip is not earned, don't leave one.

These people work so hard it amazes me. And like land based restaurants etc., pay is minimal and they rely on tips, and I support and love the $10.00 a day per person put on account as some people don't even think about tipping and these people get nothing sometimes if it's left entirely up to passengers. Either they don't know or don't care.

And extra cash tipping to room attendants, waiters, bartenders, etc. is always well appreciated and goes directly to them. It's also amazing to note that whether you give them an extra cash tip or not isn't going to change their service, they're going to work their behinds off anyway and be just as pleasant and hardworking whether someone gives them a cash tip or not, to me that shows great character. They don't have the attitude that its expected, therefore I guess they aren't disappointed when they don't receive a little extra.

I always keep an extra stash of cash in a specific place solely for the purpose of extra tipping, it can certainly add up but planned ahead of time it doesn't seem like it puts a dent in the expense money and lessons that feeling of 'What did I spend all my money on?' lol

Archived