Quick question about cancellation

Still trying to figure out this whole friends bailing on us thing. I know under early saver they will pay $50 per person cancellation fee, but is that a fee that they have to pay in addition to losing their $150 deposit? So will they have to come up with $100 or will it just be "lost" via their deposit?

I though you had your answer from calling Carnival (in your previous thread) :confused:

I called a PVP at Carnival and explained the situation. From what she said (which I find hard to believe), the girl will just have to call to cancel and then my DH can be changed to my room without a cost. She said the girl would just have to be the one to call back to cancel. I asked if we should call her directly and she said we could just call the 800 number because they'd need to get a supervisor anyway. But when we call back I'd like to go through her to remind her what she told me!

And for everyone talking about a third person rate, the guy won't be going either, it will be just me and DH. And our B2B shouldn't be affected at all as it is a totally different booking.

It just makes me mad that they even put down a deposit in the first place knowing they didn't want to spend the money to go. Now they are going to lose $150. And if the PVP is wrong and worst case scenario is that I have to pay $50 for a "name change" to get DH in my room and on my booking then so be it! I'm so over it! :mad:

I though you had your answer from calling Carnival (in your previous thread) :confused:

Yes, but now I'm second guessing myself because my DH is asking if they need actual money to cancel or if the deposit counts as the cancellation fee. Not that that affects me, but it sorta does because we haven't gotten together yet to have them cancel and it is going to bug me until it's done.

Perhaps I am not understanding - but are you saying you are worried they will have to pay Carnival additional money in order to cancel (that's what I get from your post).

That won't happen - Carnival will charge them a fee and the rest of the deposit will be held for a future booking in their names (not that such a booking is likely).

Yes, but now I'm second guessing myself because my DH is asking if they need actual money to cancel or if the deposit counts as the cancellation fee. Not that that affects me, but it sorta does because we haven't gotten together yet to have them cancel and it is going to bug me until it's done.

Unless you get someone to skirt ES rules, I'd be more concerned about having a cancellation in each cabin and how it affects you. One cabin will be fully cancelled and one of them will be you or hubby, so why wouldn't cancellation fees apply there too?

Perhaps I am not understanding - but are you saying you are worried they will have to pay Carnival additional money in order to cancel (that's what I get from your post).

That won't happen - Carnival will charge them a fee and the rest of the deposit will be held for a future booking in their names (not that such a booking is likely).

Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks!

Unless you get someone to skirt ES rules, I'd be more concerned about having a cancellation in each cabin and how it affects you. One cabin will be fully cancelled and one of them will be you or hubby, so why wouldn't cancellation fees apply there too?

I've been concerned too, although the PVP I spoke with said we wouldn't be charged to switch DH to my room. They are separate bookings in the sense that we didn't pick "2 cabins" etc while booking, so I'm not sure if that made a difference or not. Either way, even if we have to pay $50 I just want to straighten this out soon! Hopefully we'll be meeting up with them Wednesday (because the PVP said the girl will have to be the one to call to cancel).

I've been concerned too, although the PVP I spoke with said we wouldn't be charged to switch DH to my room. They are separate bookings in the sense that we didn't pick "2 cabins" etc while booking, so I'm not sure if that made a difference or not. Either way, even if we have to pay $50 I just want to straighten this out soon! Hopefully we'll be meeting up with them Wednesday (because the PVP said the girl will have to be the one to call to cancel).

Do you have an actual PVP or just called the 800 number and got a Customer Service Rep? People use these terms interchangeably all the time when in fact they aren't the same. There can be a big difference in what the CSRs tell you vs a PVP. Generally speaking PVPs are more knowledgeable and have greater experience in how the system works. They can also oftentimes get things done that the normal CSRs can't. Of course there are some that are better than others just like in any profession. But anyone that has a good one wouldn't trade them for a weeks worth of Chocolate Melting Cake!

I love my PVP. He is the only one I need to talk to with issues. And if I have multiple cabins linked together and something needs to be done, I call him and get it straightened out.

Since you cruise fairly regularly, I would suggest you ask to get a PVP if you don't already have one (and it doesn't sound like it from your other thread about this). It's too late for this cruise but at least it will help you in the future. If you had a good one all your questions would have been answered in your first phone call. I wish we could give out names here but we can't. Good luck!

Do you have an actual PVP or just called the 800 number and got a Customer Service Rep? People use these terms interchangeably all the time when in fact they aren't the same. There can be a big difference in what the CSRs tell you vs a PVP. Generally speaking PVPs are more knowledgeable and have greater experience in how the system works. They can also oftentimes get things done that the normal CSRs can't. Of course there are some that are better than others just like in any profession. But anyone that has a good one wouldn't trade them for a weeks worth of Chocolate Melting Cake!

I love my PVP. He is the only one I need to talk to with issues. And if I have multiple cabins linked together and something needs to be done, I call him and get it straightened out.

Since you cruise fairly regularly, I would suggest you ask to get a PVP if you don't already have one (and it doesn't sound like it from your other thread about this). It's too late for this cruise but at least it will help you in the future. If you had a good one all your questions would have been answered in your first phone call. I wish we could give out names here but we can't. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I actually did call a PVP directly (it is the friend who got me into cruising's PVP) since I knew I had a unique situation and wanted a knowledgeable person to help. The strange thing about the whole thing is when I asked if I should have the girl call her back directly she said it wouldn't matter and we could just use the 800 number because we'd need to talk to a supervisor anyway. I'd just as soon as try to reach her again since she is the one who told me it wouldn't cost to switch my DH to my room.

Thanks for the tip. I actually did call a PVP directly (it is the friend who got me into cruising's PVP) since I knew I had a unique situation and wanted a knowledgeable person to help. The strange thing about the whole thing is when I asked if I should have the girl call her back directly she said it wouldn't matter and we could just use the 800 number because we'd need to talk to a supervisor anyway. I'd just as soon as try to reach her again since she is the one who told me it wouldn't cost to switch my DH to my room.

Sounds like she doesn't want to help because you didn't book through her so she wouldn't get paid to service your cruises. They are commission based and have to have x amount of new bookings amongst other things.

I'm not saying either way whether she should help you. There are pros and cons to her doing so. But she's probably looking at the fact that she will have to spend time on the phone with supervisors getting things switched while possibly missing out on new sales or assisting her customers that have actually booked through her giving her a paycheck. I can't really blame her as no one likes to work for free. But then again, you could use her in the future. Or maybe you wouldn't.

Sounds like she doesn't want to help because you didn't book through her so she wouldn't get paid to service your cruises. They are commission based and have to have x amount of new bookings amongst other things.

I'm not saying either way whether she should help you. There are pros and cons to her doing so. But she's probably looking at the fact that she will have to spend time on the phone with supervisors getting things switched while possibly missing out on new sales or assisting her customers that have actually booked through her giving her a paycheck. I can't really blame her as no one likes to work for free. But then again, you could use her in the future. Or maybe you wouldn't.

We've always booked online and never had a need for a PVP. We usually book the cruise and go on the cruise. What a concept! Lol! :rolleyes: These friends are just making it more difficult. They should have never put down a deposit in the first place! Can't wait until we get this all straightened out and then all I'll have to worry about is making final payments and what excursions to book! :D

We've always booked online and never had a need for a PVP. We usually book the cruise and go on the cruise. What a concept! Lol! :rolleyes: These friends are just making it more difficult. They should have never put down a deposit in the first place! Can't wait until we get this all straightened out and then all I'll have to worry about is making final payments and what excursions to book! :D

I understand. It's just one of those things kind of like insurance where you don't think you need it until you do. I actually find it easier to do all my research and then call him to book. Then if I need anything it's so simple to call and have it taken care of right then and there including price drops. I don't have the time or patience to fill out forms online and mess with that stuff.

Perhaps it's time to get a PVP. No one expects glitches to happen but when they do it's so much easier to have one person to call and get things handled in a timely fashion.

As far as the other PVP, I wouldn't bother. That was her way of saying she's not interested in helping you. I wouldn't even call my PVP and expect him to help with one of my friend's booking if they didn't use him initially since he wouldn't be getting paid for doing so.

UPDATE: All is well in my world of cruising! The couple lost $100 of their $150 deposit and $50 will be in their Carnival "bank" for 24 months (due to the rules of cancelling under early saver). DH was put into my room for NO COST! :D B2B on the Sunshine here we come!