Dinner in Barbados??

Carnivalqueen5

Last year someone on the Boards asked for restaurant suggestions for dinner in Barbados. I am looking for the same information - somewhere that we can have local cuisine. Someone replied that the Waterfront was the place to go. Is that still the place to dine as I will be there next month. Do you need reservations? Any other suggestions?

Last year someone on the Boards asked for restaurant suggestions for dinner in Barbados. I am looking for the same information - somewhere that we can have local cuisine. Someone replied that the Waterfront was the place to go. Is that still the place to dine as I will be there next month. Do you need reservations? Any other suggestions?

How much money do you want to spend?

You can take a taxi to St. Lawrence Gap and there is a whole street of various restaurants, some of which are on the water. Pisces is probably the best known Gap restaurant, it is in a beautiful setting right on the water. I have had better meals in the gap, but I'm not sure there's a better view. You can read a review of it on Fodors here:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=barbados@22&cur_section=din&property_id=34111

Here is a pic (albeit blurry!) of Pisces taken from the balcony of my room at the Little Bay Hotel.

http://www.racephoto.com/windies1/socross.html

There are a bunch of other bar/restaurant places along there too.

Good luck,

Gail

BARBADOS - we are also interested in having dinner in Barbados preferably by the sea with a steel band! Payment about £50 per head! Any ideas:confused:

Well, you're in the ballpark with the $, but the steel pan music is difficult to find with a nice dinner spot.

Now, The Waterfront would suit your needs if you're there on a Tuesday or Wednesday, as those are the days they have steel pan. The other days it's jazz.....

There's tons of pan in The Gap (south coast, about 15 minutes from B-town) and good restaurants, too, but my notes don't put the two together.

We go to The Orchid Room of the Colony Club Hotel in St. James or The Lone Star Garage Restaurant also in St. James. The Cliff is another, but am getting burned-out there, or The Crane on the SE coast. We also like Pisces and David’s Place, too.

You might consider having a nice dinner at one of those spots and then cabbing-down to The Gap for nightlife and pan music.

If you're on the island until late, there's a great Dinner show at The Plantation Theatre: Bajan Roots and Rhythms. It starts at about 5:30PM and runs 'till about 10:30-11PM.

Perhaps one of our wonderful resident-locals that post here will come fourth with more suggestions for you. :)

Local Cusine and restaurants in Barbados don't always mix unless you are really going "hometown" if you know what I mean. Some of the restaurants mentioned, ie The Orchid Room, The Cliff, Lone Star Garage, will not be serving local cusine such as peas and rice and macaroni pie. They will have fish and pork and chicken which, cooked just about anyway, but mainly baked for the pork and chicken at least, is very Bajan.

Waterfront, if open at whatever time you are here, will be a closer bet to real Bajan food. as well as The Plantation Garden Theater, if you have time for the food and show.

There are many restuarants that will have some local variations on the menu. Mahi Mahi/Dolphin (the fish not flipper) is always good as is the Flying Fish. Again, baked pork is also good. and Roast Chicken.

RE Brown Sugar, unfortunately Brown Sugar burned down earlier this year, or last year at some point. I don't think they have rebuilt but there are plans to.

Thanks, Barbados, for adding the schedule. I wouldn't say a reservation would be needed except it does depend on the time of year. but if you are only on the island for a little while and have to make it back to the ship by a certain time, I would ask for a reservation so you don't miss out.

the lead story in Todays, 27Oct05, Barbados Nation Newspaper is the the owners of Brown Sugar will not be hiring who belongs to or wants to belong to one of the trade unions in Barbados. Now I don't want to get into a discussion about this matter.. but just wanted to let you know that hopefully Brown Sugar Restaurant will be opening soon. The paper says they should be opening in November. This would be great for someone really wanting a "Taste of Barbados"

• 2 months later...

I can now answer my own question regarding the Waterfront Cafe in Barbados. Yes, it is indeed still the right place to dine when in Barbados for the evening. About 15 members of my group dined at the Waterfront Cafe while in port on the Carnival Legend. The food was very appetizing and we enjoyed the live band as well. I had the flying fish and a couple others in my group enjoyed the snapper. I don't remember what everyone else had. I do remember that the bread pudding was absolutely delicious!

brown sugar is open for business. we have a reservation there next week. when we return i will post a review. carnivalqueen, thanks for the info. we are booked into the waterfront as well during our upcoming 9-day stay in barbados. sunniebgi thanks for all your help on a number of different issues i have raised.

steve

Archived