Entertainment on Eclipse Baltic cruise

Jerzy Traveler

We are doing a 14 day cruise on the Eclipse. Does anyone have an idea of the entertainment being offered? Theater shows and bands around the ship? I understand that there is a Russian folk show when docked in St. Petersburg, which night?

In terms of the main theatre the last of years on Eclipse - you've had different shows for each of the 14 nights -

A warm up show on the first night - a taste of some things to come.

A best of last night.

Then on other nights...

A couple of vocalists (Jayne Curry is a regular)

A couple of magicians (one of whom may be crew if he's still on board)

3 possibly 4 shows put on by ship based entertainers

A couple of comedians (Mike Doyle is a regular and very popular)

A tribute band

A juggling act

An impressionist

Standard is generally pretty good (apart from the Beatles tribute act we got last year, Paul McCartney couldn't reach the notes). Some of the entertainers are well established cruise ship entertainers who know their audience. Some have done well on shows like Britain's Got Talent, and some of them have done a bit of TV work in the past (e.g. the comic Mick Miller). Our favourite last year was a comic entertainer called Kev Orkian who had the whole place in uproar).

There were also regular comics and game shows in the much smaller Celebrity Central venue

During the day there were regular talks in the theatre.

As the Eclipse is based in Southampton during the summer, the entertainment might be more aimed towards British tastes than other ships or when it is based in the Carribbean.

A few things you will notice different to account for the British customer base - on board prices will be higher as Eclipse doesn't have an 18% Service Charge added at the sales point - it's included in the price you see. Also, you will get tea and coffee making facilities in your cabin

Edited by DYKWIA

Thank you. Just wonder what the bigger theater shows are. We sailed on the Reflection last year, the larger shows, Rock and Cirque type shows were fine, the singer and comedian shows not as popular. We did enjoy the house band that played in the foyer and pool area. Some of the bars had solo and duet acts. The cruise director was friendly but to us the Newlywed Game is getting old.

I gather the mix of cruisers are different on a cruise based in Southampton than a Mediterranean cruise based in Italy and probably more Brit-centric.

Celebrity introduced 2/3 new production shows in October 2015, so they will be playing that ship for some years yet. I have seen two of them Chandelier which centres around a night at a famous hotel and the second a show called Topper which is all to do with people that live in a top hat! Think the third show is called Rock City.

We've experienced Rock and Topper production shows so far on our Eclipse Baltic. The sets are good however the number of performers seems down on the previous production shows. We didn't care for either. Both were just jukebox shows with unconnected songs being sung and the sound felt muted making it feel less like a live performance. The non storyline for Topper was wafer thin and a bit laughable. The one off performers have gone down well. Jayne Curry was last night, an Elton John tribute the night before and the theatre has been very busy.

Professional Russian folk dancers and singers performed in the theatre on the first night in St Petersburg and were good fun and pretty slick.

Also, in Warnemunde there was an Omm-pah-pah bad around the ship and a folk trio in the Oceanview cafe which was very sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevinyork many thanks. The shows we watched while on Reflection have been quite entertaining but it seems that we will have to reserve judgement about those on Eclipse.

I have also heard of a norovirus situation at present on Eclipse - can you comment upon the impact on board? We always take our own hand sanitize foam which is I am told better than the gel that tends to be used.

Edited by Jack Staff

Kevinyork many thanks. The shows we watched while on Reflection have been quite entertaining but it seems that we will have to reserve judgement about those on Eclipse.

I have also heard of a norovirus situation at present on Eclipse - can you comment upon the impact on board? We always take our own hand sanitize foam which is I am told better than the gel that tends to be used.

Thanks Kevin. Hope you are enjoying.

Understand there is norovirus problem. Is it widespread?

Hi,

Yes we've been code red for Norovirus from about day 5/6 of our 14 nighter. Have seen lots be ill and people and staff missing from the dining room. The buffet has been non self service since then with cling film round the stations till yesterday. Staff won't handle your cruise card, you just show it. The Martini Bar has no ice bar and the public toilets have no cloth hand towels. All soft furnishings have been removed from the cabins and the library has been emptied of books. The practical issues have not bothered us too much but there is a constant concern of 'are we next'. The next cruise have a delayed embarkation for deep cleaning.

Kev.

Hi,

Yes we've been code red for Norovirus from about day 5/6 of our 14 nighter. Have seen lots be ill and people and staff missing from the dining room. The buffet has been non self service since then with cling film round the stations till yesterday. Staff won't handle your cruise card, you just show it. The Martini Bar has no ice bar and the public toilets have no cloth hand towels. All soft furnishings have been removed from the cabins and the library has been emptied of books. The practical issues have not bothered us too much but there is a constant concern of 'are we next'. The next cruise have a delayed embarkation for deep cleaning.

Kev.

Hopefully you will stay healthy and enjoy the remainder of the cruise. We have experience minor outbreaks before as well as a hurricane. You try to put these possibilities out of your mind when booking a cruise. The reality can be different.

Enjoy. Will be looking for your posts telling of the great time you are having.