Best place to exchange $$?

TGBarbie

If you find yourself in Oxford Street, Marks & Spencer has a Bureaux de Change in the basement which has pretty good rates and does not charge commission. Depending on your bank you may also get pretty good rates via an ATM.

Peter

You can also purchase American Express travelers checks in British pounds before you leave. They are more easily cashed than the ones in dollars and you know in advance the rate.

It is always a good idea to take some travelers checks along for emergencies, just in case your ATM card is demagnitized in the Heathrow Airport cash machine, as mine was! This was especially a potential disaster as it was at my arrival in London and I had 12 days of traveling before I boarded QE2 in SOuthampton for the return trip, As a solo traveler, I have gotten into the habit of taking backups for everything in case I get into trouble and I was very happy to have an alternative to my "dead" ATM. I made it through with two credit cards almost to their limit and my 600 British pounds. Whew!

ATMs do usually give you a good exchange rate, however, and I use them when I can.

If you find yourself in Oxford Street, Marks & Spencer has a Bureaux de Change in the basement which has pretty good rates and does not charge commission. Depending on your bank you may also get pretty good rates via an ATM.

Peter

When I was getting my currency for our recent trip I was advised by someone in my bank to go to Marks and Spencers as they had the best rates!! I assume the fact that this was in Milton Keynes and not in Oxford Street makes no difference whatsover!! I cannot remember though if I had to have some form of identity or not (something to do with money laundering)!!!!! If that's the case just make sure you have your passport with you. It may not apply to visitors to the UK though. I always carry my driving licence photocard in my purse, which is what I used.

Elaine

Many General Post Offices have a currency exchange desk. The last time I changed currency there a few months back they did not need any i.d. though a passport would be all you would need if they did.

It's worth remembering that unless you ask for smaller ones you will be given £20 notes. Better to have 10s and 5s as well as the bigger ones.

David.

Archived