Horizon Cruise on 10/8

Kita

I just returned from the Horizon cruise on 10/15/05. I have sailed on more than 30 cruises & never before witnessed anything like this cruise. Hit two large swells, glasses, dishes, bottles etc. crashing to floor. Was anyone else on this cruise?

My husband and I, along with 6 other in our family were on that cruise. I sailed 6 times before, once across the North Atlantic and never had a problem. This was a rough sail. The way down was band but on the way back, we hit 2 large swells. One was bad enough to put the ship into such a list as to cause damage to the shops. My sister and I were in the jewerly shop when we were hit. Everything came flying off the shelves, including the glass shelves! All you heard through the ship was breaking glass.

Liquor and been at the various bars came off the shelves and smashed. At dinner that night when we orders a certain bottle of wine, the wine steward told us that they didn't have it because much of the wine was destroyed.

Made for an interesting trip. It won't stop us from sailing again, we're already planning the next one, but we will be sure to get a ship with stableizers!

PS: My daughter's boyfriend won the trip for two to Alaska at Bingo! Lucky rats! All I end up with is sheets of paper with holes in in!

I was sitting two rows behind him when he won the trip to Alaska! Heard someone say tell her at dinner tonight when waiting for elevator. This cruise really did rock & roll! I am already looking into booking again for May 06.

Hello. I am leaving tomorrow on the Horizon, I hope we don't hit anything like you did, especially with Wilma possibly heading that way. (Hopefully it will fizzle out).

Is there any other info about the ship you can tell me? How was the food, how did she look, how was your overall trip, etc.

Thank you

T

I have sailed from Philadelphia to Bermuda several times including on the Horizon.

Remember that Bermuda is NOT in the Caribbean and to sail their you are in the North Atlantic. The North Atlantic is rougher water than the Caribbean.

Rough waters going to and from Bermuda from most Northeast cities is not uncommon.

Hello. I am leaving tomorrow on the Horizon, I hope we don't hit anything like you did, especially with Wilma possibly heading that way. (Hopefully it will fizzle out).

Is there any other info about the ship you can tell me? How was the food, how did she look, how was your overall trip, etc.

Thank you

T

Reese 1717, I could not respond before you sailed on the Horizon final cruise.

Hope yours was calmer then mine. I have sailed to Bermuda out of New York more they 12 times and never had a experience like the one of 10/8/05.

I don't believe it had anything to do with being in the North Atlantic & rougher seas. Several ships due to leave Bermuda on Friday the 14th. left right behind us on the 13th. because of the to weather conditions.

The same weather patterns which gave the NE 9 days of rain was also responsible for the rough sailing on 10/8. I sailed on Oct 15 and while it was not like glass.. it still was bumpy for 24 hrs going out.. and 12 hours on the return.

Stablizers can only do so much in heavy seas. If seas are really rough, the stabilizers pop out of the water.

Even the good old QE2 has had some god awful crossings!

Archived